View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Robofriven - 5 0 Contest French Advance Slaughter [7:16] 
Video Manager

Post Robofriven - 5 0 Contest French Advance Slaughter [7:16]
Poster: Robofriven
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600) | Videos Made: 13
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.20 (10)

Video Tags: Advance Blitz French Live Commentary

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:54 pm
Rook

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: Robofriven - 5 0 Contest French Advance Slaughter [7:16]
Hey Rob,

Wanted to post and say nice game. Congrats on pulling off a blitz victory. The game feels a lot different when you're playing under constant time pressure, and different types of wacky situations seem to come up. I've been thinking about TheSalesman's recent video series and the psychology of these blitz games. Time and surprise are strong weapons...certainly more effective against me than they would be in 15 minute games. It's interesting to see the choices people make and think about how a player can use those imbalances to affect the course of the game.

In the opening, I wonder how I would have blocked the early bishop check. I'm seeing that 4...Nc6 5. Nc3 6. Qb6/Bd7 would have been a more familiar position for me. I'm pretty sure I would have played 5...Qb6 in order to continue developing. This also would have kept the knight out of d6 and you get to keep the dark-square bishop a while longer. The position you got after all the exchanges was fun. I enjoy a game where a lot of minor pieces get traded off and one player still has all 8 pawns on the board. Just looks cool.

Nice job keeping your mind sharp through the game and taking advantage of your opponent's mistakes.

-BoyHowdy

http://www.chessvideos.tv/wiki/index.php/BoyHowdy%27s_Videos

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Thanks for your comments Boyhowdy, they're appreciated. In a longer game I'll play Nc6 to block checks like that because after Bxc6 bxc6 I have yet another c pawn to hammer on d4 with. (I'm yet to ever regret having doubled c pawns in a French Advance.) I just chose not to in this game because I got the feeling from his first few moves that there were going to be a lot of exchanges quickly and that he wasn't going to play for the center, so aside from the half open b file I wouldn't get much from doubling the c pawns.

Boyhowdy wrote:
The position you got after all the exchanges was fun. I enjoy a game where a lot of minor pieces get traded off and one player still has all 8 pawns on the board. Just looks cool.

Wasn't that awesome? Not only did I have all of my pawns still but none of them were doubled and they were almost all protecting each other. :-)

"... the French wages outright warfare over the entire board, calls for stronger nerves, and demands a soul that finds joy whenever the lust for battle is stoked. In other words, Watson is right: it’s a damn good opening!" - Jeremy Silman

Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:39 am
King

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Hey awesome video Robo, this gets two thumbs up, 5 pawns rating and a bit of a chuckle thrown in for good measure :mrgreen: And thank you for saying potato, makes me feel better :P

No offence taken by the entertaining comment either ;) Maybe my short video will win just because of my accent :P (When I've decided what I'm doing it on that is!)

As for the game, no real comments to make other than well played, and nice mate at the end. I, like you, really struggle in blitz games. Hope to get a game against you some day :alien:

Frenchie

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:02 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks Frenchie, I'm glad I didn't insult you with the entertaining thing. Some people get all up in arms over things like that. Your accent isn't much different (to me at least) then other English accents though I know there are variations I can't tell them apart and for some reason I find the "oi" instead of "I" sound in words entertaining just as I'm sure many things I say come off as "odd" to you.

I'd be happy to play against you, though likely I'd lose. I'm Faldinerous on ICC (for the next week at least) and robofriven on FICS. I'm also on chess.com if you care for a CC game, robofriven there as well.

"... the French wages outright warfare over the entire board, calls for stronger nerves, and demands a soul that finds joy whenever the lust for battle is stoked. In other words, Watson is right: it’s a damn good opening!" - Jeremy Silman

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:29 am
King

Robofriven wrote:
Thanks Frenchie, I'm glad I didn't insult you with the entertaining thing. Some people get all up in arms over things like that. Your accent isn't much different (to me at least) then other English accents though I know there are variations I can't tell them apart and for some reason I find the "oi" instead of "I" sound in words entertaining just as I'm sure many things I say come off as "odd" to you.

I'd be happy to play against you, though likely I'd lose. I'm Faldinerous on ICC (for the next week at least) and robofriven on FICS. I'm also on chess.com if you care for a CC game, robofriven there as well.

I'm not easily offended Rob :) I actually enjoy the banter about different accents. It's amazing how funny conversations can be when different accents are involved. Me, you, gentlewhisper, mchosting and BruceWallace in a bar, now THAT would be an 'entertaining' (as we say) conversation :mrgreen: Fascinates me why people get offended by accents so easily.

I'll send a couple of games over on chess.com, havent played on there for ages though so my grade isnt all that. Havent played since there since I last played KingsBlade (come out the woodwork KB where have you been? :) )

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:38 am
Rook

It seems obvious to me that you are not actually a 600 rated player in 5 0 blitz (1100+ is more likely). So, given you were playing against a much weaker player than yourself, I don't think this video is as good as you are capable of.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:50 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks Bullrock, I'll take that as a compliment. I think it all boils down to 2 of my biggest problems with Blitz chess.

Firstly, you have 2 opponents, the guy you're playing and the clock. Therefore it's not about finding the best move, but the best move you can find in less than 15 seconds at the most, so play suffers and the people who win tend to be ones that come up with lightning fast (and usually unsound at least in the lower echelons) attacks. I had a game yesterday that didn't come out where I was clearly winning because I held off my opponents crappy attack and played a pawn push on the queenside that resulted in me winning a rook for a pawn that promoted and had another pawn ready to promote but lost on time because it takes too long for me to get to an endgame in 5 0 let alone to win one.

And secondly I'm terrible under time pressure. In a 30 5 game (what I've been trying to play more than anything right now as I'm trying to lengthen my games) I start to freak out when I get down to about 5 minutes left and often blunder away the game when that happens. Of course I guess that is in fact something I can learn from Blitz. :-)

Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:29 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Hey, a win is a win! It's also nice when everything goes right and it's OK to enjoy it even if you're opponent was exceedingly accomodating (which he certainly was). Blitz is just a matter of playing enough blitz to get the hang of it at your overall chess skill level. And that means getting thumped a bunch of time.

A very entertaining video.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:44 am
Pawn

Rating: 1823
Hey Robofriven! It is clear to me that you are much stronger player than that of your blitz rating 606. If this really was your first blitz victory, congratulations!!! It just seems unbelievable to me that you haven't won a single game of blitz before. Great game, you totally outclassed your opponent!

"On the chessboard lies and hypocrisy do not survive long. The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie; the merciless fact, culminating in a checkmate, contradicts the hypocrite." - Emanuel Lasker

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:58 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yes it was my first Blitz victory, but was also only around my 10th or 12th blitz game, so it being a first probably isn't that memorable, I'm just terrible under time pressure. :-)

Thanks for the comments.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:06 am
King

Rating: 1395
:D Target practice! Nice vid.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1859
If this isn't the winning video, the contest is rigged!!!! :D
There is only one question to be answered.................How much did you have to pay your opponent to be so cooperative! Fair dinkum, I was waiting for him to push his wallet and car keys across the board at any point. :)

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks for your comments Bruce and Phil.

Yes, my opponent was quite cooperative. I think my favorite part was when he played the only move that would give me mate in 1. :-)

Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:25 pm
King

philwillb wrote:
I was waiting for him to push his wallet and car keys across the board at any point. :)

Chequemate? :mrgreen:

I'll get my coat :twisted:

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]