View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
The Chess Web (Hitchhiker's training journal) 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: The Chess Web (Hitchhiker's training journal)

[WhiteElo "1569"][BlackElo "1545"][TimeControl "300"]

Avrukh's second volume on d4 arrived today, which means I'm switching to d4 for the time being! And this was my first game with it. So don't be too hard ;). Now I'm playing something completely new for White, and for Black against d4.

Move ECO Frequency Score AvElo Perf AvYear %Draws
1: e5 C20 1068: 47.5% 44.2% 1504 1464 2009 6%
2: c5 B20 672: 29.9% 38.4% 1506 1498 2009 6%
3: d6 B07a 253: 11.2% 45.8% 1316 1297 2008 3%
4: e6 C00a 241: 10.7% 41.7% 1372 1375 2008 4%

Maybe it's time to have a look at the Caro-Kann too... it's the only major opening against e4 I haven't played and over a thousand blitz games with e5 is enough for the time being :D

Thu May 20, 2010 6:08 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

[WhiteElo "1654"][BlackElo "1576"][TimeControl "300"]

Hehehe :twisted:

And without knowing any theory too. Qe5 is a mistake, but other than that, that game went pretty well.

Thu May 20, 2010 6:20 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I'm back! Kind of. Life has kept me extremely busy the last few months. I haven't played chess for months, except for three Blitz games and a tournament game in the last few days. I feel incredibly rusty. I hope I have the time to get back into chess. Right now I'm doing that by looking at some Rubinstein games now and then. We'll see what comes of it!

Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:52 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Welcome back. Happy Holidays.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:55 pm
King

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
I second that emotion!

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:05 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thanks guys! Also started using CTS again...with mixed results this far. I still get almost all the problems right, but it takes me much longer than it used to.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:12 am
King

Hitchhiker wrote:
Thanks guys! Also started using CTS again...with mixed results this far. I still get almost all the problems right, but it takes me much longer than it used to.

It's a very good training tool. When I started back up again, I was pretty slow too. I pretty much got back at my old strength and a little more after 1-2 months. So just keeping playing and enjoying chess, and all will be well.

How is Avrukh's d4? and what are you playing with black atm?

Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:07 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I'm not playing games yet, I'll have to decide on black openings for my return to chess. Not an easy choice at all, I'll probably write more about it later. As for d4, I will play it, right now I don't have access to the books until early January. I probably won't play much before then because I feel I should have a look at some lines first. My memory is not enough. :) But, I got lucky and found How to Reassess 4th in my mailbox today, I'll certainly spend some time with that.

CTS...yeah, it's slowness. I still get most of the problems right (at least I don't make more mistakes than I used to), but it takes me much longer. It's like going from playing with a sharp kitchen knife to a blunted children's fork. It takes longer to pick things up! :D

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:15 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

So, opening choice. I wish there weren't so many. I'll do a quick writeup of all the opening I've tried so far. I should add my opening choices especially for Black should always give me a fair chance to win, even if that means I get complicated endgames, then that's ok. I can't have an opening with drawing lines or lines where White can take out all the life of the position.

As White

I'll pick up d4 with Avrukh's books and simply play that. I may or may not go back to e4 at some point, but certainly it would involve a lot of work. I'd play Open Sicilians only. I would have to find a good lines against all those pesky openings like the French, Scandinavian, Philidor etc. I've seen enough of those lines even though I'd play the Ruy with White all the time if I could. Simply thinking about playing against these lines again makes me go "thanks, but no thanks."

Conclusion: d4 Baby! I'll simply copy Avrukh and live the wild chess life for now.

vs e4

I've tried the Pirc, the Ruy mainline, The Berlin, the Classical Sicilian, the Kan Sicilian, the Accelerated Dragon, the Caro, the French.
The French is ok, except for the exchange variation which bores me to tears.
The Accelerated Dragon ends up in endgames that are win or draw for White far too often for my tastes. Whenever White wants to trade down into a save endgame he pretty much can. It can be hard to win with this opening against much lower rated players in my experience.
The Caro was only a short stint, but it's not to my taste to be honest. Fun to test, yeah, fun to play as a serious opening? Hardly.
The Pirc was the opening I started out with and I still love it. It's great because it's complicated, there's no way for White to take the tension out of the game, it's dynamic counterattacking chess. Awesome! Except....there's the Sicilian and the Ruy and both seem better choices when it comes down to it. Because of the theory involved in the Ruy and the Sicilians I will keep an eye on the Pirc, but right now it seems to be relegated to a nostalgy-opening only to be wheeled out every now and then for surprise value.
The Classical Sicilian was interesting, but not quite "it". It's definitely a good and dynamic enough opening, but just lacks that certain something for me. Maybe it's just a bit too open and tactical? I tend to like control, not insane tactical complications.
And that's probably the reason why I liked the Kan so much. Insanely complicated central positions! It's challenging to play for both sides, it's tactical, but not openly so. It's less relying on theory and more on understanding, a big advantage on the club level I would think. If I play this opening regularly I should have an advantage against pretty much every opponent who plays open Sicilians. I'm tempted! I don't mind the closed Sicilians so much, most people play open anyway.
Ruy Berlin....meh? I would love to play that endgame but it seems nobody else wants to play it. Only a fraction of the games I had ended up in the mainline. Not suitable as long as my opposition only plays sidelines. Because those aren't all that interesting really.
Ruy Mainline, Chigorin. I love this stuff. It's similar to the Kan, very clearly my kind of opening. Very classical, but full of possibilities and subtleties I simply love this opening. Tempted! The downside are the many sidelines before move three, and even at move three I usually get a fairly even split between Bb5 vs Bc4 + d4 (each around 40%). Add to that the King's Gambit and I have the main four openings after e4 e5 only that I really love to play the Ruy, the others not so much. They're simply ok and part of the package I would have to accept. Still tempted!

Conclusion: I like the Pirc but I should probably pick either Sicilian Kan or Ruy Chigorin for their educational value. I can't really maintain all three of them. I'd like to pick Ruy as my mainline and Kan as my 2nd opening, but boy is that a chunk of theory. I may go Ruy/Pirc or Kan/Pirc for that reason, but that would be a shame too. Can I get a eidetic memory somewhere? :P I really don't know what to do about that right now. I'll have to play all of them and see how they compare again.

vs d4 to follow when I can be bothered to do another epic write-up :D

edit: I forget! Scheveningen and Najdorf are tempting to try. But I think right now I should stick to what I know and roll with that. Trying new openings is good, but it can also lead to a kind of opening nomadism and I don't want to end up there. So these two Sicilians are for later.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:05 am
King

I would definitely go for the pirc. Lots of theory sure, but it's just one opening, that you can enter at move 1. You don't seem to like the very simplified variations white can enter (accelerated dragon) The pirc would be perfect to avoid that and is playable against lower and higher rated opponents. It's not very common at the club level either, so good chances you will be better prepared than your opponents.

Too bad I know nothing about it, otherwise I would try it out. I might learn an opening like the pirc eventually, since I don't like to play the drawish endgames against lower rated players.

Looking forward to the second epic write-up.

Good luck!

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:19 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1507
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Hitchhiker wrote:

You can try lines where you castle queenside and pawn storm his kingside, much more fun than usual exchange French games, Zzz.You play Bd6, Ne7, Nc6, Bg4, Qd7, O-O-O in whatever order and charge at his king in as unsubtle a way as possible. :)

Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Interesting comments, thanks!

Castling long in the exchange is definitely an interesting possibility, but it's just one plan. If I go pawnstorm every time it's not really flexible. I also have to say that the French as a whole doesn't seem as interesting to me as some of the other openings, the exchange variation is more or less just the "nail in the coffin." There are a few interesting variations, but on the whole, I prefer other openings.

Pirc only...well. I now realize I forgot to talk about another aspect of the openings I want to play. They have to teach me something. Now it's well known that the Ruy and the Sicilian are standards in that regard. The Pirc not so much. Other than that I would agree with you Hiddie.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:13 am
King

Schumi wrote:
Hitchhiker wrote:

You can try lines where you castle queenside and pawn storm his kingside, much more fun than usual exchange French games, Zzz.You play Bd6, Ne7, Nc6, Bg4, Qd7, O-O-O in whatever order and charge at his king in as unsubtle a way as possible. :)

That's what I play as White in the exch French (after 3...Bb4 4. exd5). Can't recommend it enough (Bd3, Ne2, Bf4/g5, Qd2, 0-0-0, f3, g4, etc.). Not boring at all and definitely not a draw. Also, I've played two games with the exch French from the black side and won both of them with 0-0. If you study the ''boring'' version of the exch French, you can easily outplay your opponents, who go into the exch line, because they want to avoid theory.

Have you tried Aljechin/Nimzowitsch against 1.e4 ?

Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:45 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I did look at it some time ago, but the Alkhechin is like the dirt poor cousin of the Pirc :P It's not losing outright, but that's about it as far as I can see. There are a few solid lines but those are hardly inspiring and the rest of the lines border on the unsound. It's definitely not the kind of opening I want to play. I believe you need to have a certain attitude towards chess to play the Alekhine well and I simply don't have that. :)

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:15 am
King

So, you want solid and sound winning chances as Black and interesting positions, but not the crazy kind. Well, I have fallen in love with Nimzowitsch lately (1...Nc6). You should try it (if you're interested in the lines I play, shoot me a pm).

Edit: Also, harsh judgement against Aljechin, wow. :lol: Though I agree that it's not for everyone.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next