View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
curtains - L416: W vs Alka [23:12] 
Video Manager

Post curtains - L416: W vs Alka [23:12]
Poster: curtains
Name: International Master Gregory Shahade
Federation: USA
Videos Made: 2140
FIDE Rating: 2463
World Rank: 1285
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.50 (14)

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:08 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: curtains - L416: W vs Alka [23:12]
Ahh, i remember reading "Living High & Letting Die" by the other Peter, Peter Unger, for a college course. Sarah McLachlan made a provocative video for her song "World on Fire" on the same subject. I also like Pain of Salvation's "Cribcaged" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQw9NQIoeY

I've heard good things about Oxfam. My brother tried an experiment where he kept track of every pirated movie or CD that he downloaded and then donated the corresponding money to Oxfam.

I'll chip in a few bucks per month when this gets rolling. I think it's important for folks to realize that giving a LITTLE is OK because it can really add up. Multiplying by zero, even a billion times zero, always yields zero.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Rook

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
You seem to have interesting things to say of the things around chess. And clearly audio format suits you. Have you considered doing some kind of voicings of your opinion without some game that seems to have thematically nothing to do with the things you'd like to say?

Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:58 am
Knight

Before you read all this, I just want to say that I’m not saying that your idea is bad, and don’t get mad stop reading, the good stuff comes at the end.

I have to say that I’m a bit skeptical to this charity thing. In general I’m not a big fan of charity at all, since I don’t think it’s the individuals’ duty to help starving people in Asia and Africa but the rich countries duty. One person cannot make a change when it comes to helping poor countries to put an end to starvation, teaching illiterate to read and write and provide work to its people. However, society can do this. And you and I can change society by not voting on retarded parties to be in our parliament.

If you give your money to organizations such as Amnesty International, Greenpeace or the Red Cross most of the money doesn’t even reach its purpose. There are so much administration, flyers, rafts and stuff that have to be financed before some crazy Buddhist monk can be helped, some whale named Willy can be saved or some Bangladesh child can get its medicine which its parents cannot afford due to patent on that particular drug from some American Pharmaceutical company.

Sure, you may help someone by giving $1000 away to an organization like this, but the problem is that in the long run nothing will change unless you to change the fundaments of what is wrong. Sending food to a starving child will help that child, but it will not prevent future starvation. But if the whole USA agreed on paying higher taxes and instead of declaring war on countries, helped countries by building their society, building hospitals, water purification plants and not supporting corrupt right wing politicians there would be a chance of change. People in other countries should not have to rely on you sending them money, that’s all, because then nothing will ever change.

OK, up to this point I’ve been very negative, but hey, check this out! I think that helping people where you can immediately see the difference the money makes can be a rather good thing. If you start a fund annually giving scholarship to a person who is a promising chess player, fight for making the world a better place or something like that, then I’m fine with it. And if you help somebody go to college or pay for some kid so that he/she can participate in some tournament abroad, that’s great. If you pay for a guitar and guitar lessons for a poor kid whose biggest wish is to play the guitar and be a jazz musician, that’s great too. Hopefully you get my point, I just don’t think it’s a good idea to give the big organizations money.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:06 am
Rook

I like the charity idea - and although vkoy of course you have a point that a few people cant change the world, for the people that the money will actually reach it can essentially change their whole lives, which is definitely a worthwhile thing to do compared to nothing at all.

Honestly my preferences would be something towards people who are essentially in poverty in africa and other countries compared to some more economically developed countries home grown kid, (regardless of how talented in whatever area they may be). (Although I also don't mind the odd exception to this).

There are definitely some ways in which the money can be utilised in better ways than others, - with the old teach a man to fish scenario. Could be things like money for animals helpful for farming, equipment and so on. Building wells for clean water etc. as opposed to just straight up buying x amount of food, although im sure most charities will already be onto this idea.

I am really happy to give though to whatever is decided on, and like the idea of the different charity a month format. I could probably give a couple hundred $ a month, as long as greg accepts pokerstars transfers :P

(Or paypal is fine, you know, whatever)

Donations: My Paypal is Andymlewis@msn.com

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
I propose you support building schools in countries like Afghanistan, which is kinda like Calm's "teach a man to fish".

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:25 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
Just a headsup, I will respond shortly in greater detail, but if you want to donate it's probably best not to send the donations to me but to instead send them directly to the charity, else the skeptical people may suspect a huge scam!!

In any case, it seems that so far people have different ideas what's best, and this is what I expected. Probably everyone won't be happy every month, but changing the recipient each month will likely result in most of the different philosophies being recognized eventually, since I'm pretty open-minded about whom to give to.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:36 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
katar wrote:
My brother tried an experiment where he kept track of every pirated movie or CD that he downloaded and then donated the corresponding money to Oxfam.

I hope your brother realizes that he is still committing piracy. Despite his "Robin Hood" approach, he is diverting income from the creators of the content he is downloading to another recipient unintended by the originator of that content. The nobility of the recipient is not an issue here- theft is theft regardless of where the booty ends up.

Sorry, this is a hot-button issue with me. I'm a composer who relies on the non-trivial income stream generated from royalties to support my family. I get angry when people (especially young people who see free content as some sort of entitlement) try to justify downloading free music/movies/whatever. The fact is, it is illegal and immoral. If I snuck into your house and took money out your wallet you would not be happy. This is what pirates are doing to creators such as myself who have studied long and worked hard to be able to do what we do.

/high horse

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:26 am
Profile WWW
King

kamus wrote:
I hope your brother realizes that he is still committing piracy. Despite his "Robin Hood" approach, he is diverting income from the creators of the content he is downloading to another recipient unintended by the originator of that content. The nobility of the recipient is not an issue here- theft is theft regardless of where the booty ends up.

Sorry, this is a hot-button issue with me. I'm a composer who relies on the non-trivial income stream generated from royalties to support my family. I get angry when people (especially young people who see free content as some sort of entitlement) try to justify downloading free music/movies/whatever. The fact is, it is illegal and immoral. If I snuck into your house and took money out your wallet you would not be happy. This is what pirates are doing to creators such as myself who have studied long and worked hard to be able to do what we do.

/high horse

I understand that-- Copyright Law was my highest score in law school (99/100). :cheers: I told my bro the same thing, but he is a bit of a communist hippie these days. :flower: But it's nice to see the word "booty" around here. Actually i studied music theory in college and i have great respect for composers.

I also wanted to reiterate that the book Living High and Letting Die attempts to address the points raised by both Vkoy and Curtains. Basically the author says that the most common rationalizations against donating to "big foreign charities" are not morally significant. Some big charities attempt to minimize this by sending photos/letters from the cute (not ugly) child you are supposedly helping, even though that arrangement obviously diverts funds from worthier sources. At some point a donor is paying not to help others but to justify self-righteousness. That's the cynical interpretation anyway if any Ayn Rand fans are out there.

Anyway, I've heard that Oxfam is one of the most transparent and reputable.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Here is a good video where Singer's Utilitarianism is taken apart pretty well by Tyler Cowen.

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/18424

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

I will check it out, but it won't stop my new project at http://www.gregshahade.com

Also note that I'm also not sure of everything Singer says, all I know is that I feel I'll be a better person if I try to give more than I do now.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:13 am
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Watching this blogging heads, after 20-25 minutes I gotta say I'm totally on Singer's side. The other guy behaves like such a know it all, and his BS at the beginning about cutting rich people's taxes was a really juvenile debating tactic.

Singer is extremely open minded so far, almost always acknowledges that Cowen has points behind what he says, and simply doesn't behave as if he knows all the answers.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:07 pm
Profile ICQ
King

lenin3 wrote:
Here is a good video where Singer's Utilitarianism is taken apart pretty well by Tyler Cowen.

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/18424

to close 6 degrees of separation, let me point out that Tyler Cowen was a bigshot chessmaster back in the day.

http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/keni ... t-new.html

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

wow he's obv a big champion

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:41 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Charity seems like natural idea, however I have just finished reading a book myself called Dead Aid which shows the hindrance that aid can have on poor nations. Not saying her ideas are 100% correct but it would be good balance with the one you just read.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next