View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
curtains - L416: W vs Alka [23:12] 
Pawn

Rating: 1400
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: curtains - L416: W vs Alka [23:12]
In the last 40 years $500,000,000,000 in aid has been given to Africa: the experiment has clearly failed; this is on scale simlar to America's Marshall Plan to Europe after the Second World War. This, in contrast, was a great success and an admirable exhibition of American enlightened self interest. Aid to Africa should be discontinued or another means of delivery found.

Adjacent to Africa is Europe, one of the wealthiest parts of the world. The European Union operates the Common Agricultural Policy(CAP) which heavily subsidises inefficient European farmers to produce food they don't need. This food is then often dumped on the African market, cheap. One constructive idea to help Africa: scrap the CAP and allow free access of African produce to the European market.

The blog has put me in the mood for fish, with or without the exploding internal organs. Or a steak, perhaps with the fur still on.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:08 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: No rating
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Altruism on an international and even domestic level is regularly outweighed by ulterior political and economic ambitions, strategies for the future, need for ruling class to stay in power, etc. Corruption, deceit and greed are on both sides.

Concerning charity on both national and ngo levels, historical performance matters. Judge success by the ability to affect change, to get money to the people who need it and hopefully to have that money build their future and not just temporarily sustain them, etc.

Government is too corrupt to help citizens achieve anything more than some acceptable standardized level of living. Anything higher gives the population more power so the government profits it instead and anything lower the citizens revolt.

Image courtesy of Bradu of the UG!

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:03 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
TheEnterprise wrote:
Concerning charity on both national and ngo levels, historical performance matters. Judge success by the ability to affect change, to get money to the people who need it and hopefully to have that money build their future and not just temporarily sustain them, etc.

By that standard supposedly one of the most effective charities is UNICEF with a comparatively low administration percentage compared to other similar charities.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Rook

curtains wrote:
Watching this blogging heads, after 20-25 minutes I gotta say I'm totally on Singer's side. The other guy behaves like such a know it all, and his BS at the beginning about cutting rich people's taxes was a really juvenile debating tactic.

Agreed. By the end of the interview however and after reading the comments on bloggingheads.tv my conclusion is that this was more a discussion between two university professors with opposing ideas about utilitarianism than a discussion about the book or about charity.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:10 pm
Knight

Hey Greg, would this charity idea include projects of immense and lasting importance but outside of the bare necessities? For instance, would you consider a project like Wikipedia? Many projects like this don't help people so much in the immediate, but they help set a better foundation for the future.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:17 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
did you look at my website? It's even better if you start talking about this stuff there!

Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:25 pm
Profile ICQ
Knight

Ok, I'll post there next time. Usually blogs require me to sign-up and that's why I wrote the comment here.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:33 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:27 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Rating: FIDE
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Classical music improving the speed and quality of my work? Although I enjoy classical music, when I am doing homework for school, there is a very great improvement in the work, and in the speed of it, when I listen to classical music. Why may this be?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:45 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Congratulations, for being a good and almost perfect scorer. Its very hard to get some score like that. Being student of law we should know how to appreciate things and to be more acquainted with circumstances. Your attitude signifies that you will be a good lawyer someday. Who knows....? :thumright:

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2