View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Kingsblade - Dual Com KB vs GW Sicilian GPA Aug 16a [31:20] 
Video Manager

Post Kingsblade - Dual Com KB vs GW Sicilian GPA Aug 16a [31:20]
Poster: KingsBlade
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400) | Videos Made: 189
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.33 (3)

Video Tags: Dual Commentary Sicilian Grand Prix Attack

This is half of a dual commentary. Other half: gentlewhisper - vs Kingsblade 16.08.2009

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Wayne77

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:44 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: Kingsblade - Dual Com KB vs GW Sicilian GPA Aug 16a [31:20]
During the game I was concerned about some pawn pushed which actually never occured. I wonder if there has been a time where you just could have pushed e5 or f5 just to complicate things.

Also after I have castled queenside it occured to me that actually the Rb1 was placed quite well to initiate a b4 push or so.

Just some ideas which occured to me after the game.

Apart from that it was a nice game imho. Was struggling quite a while to get a reasonable position, especially in the beginning where I constantly worried about development and king safety but somehow the "attacking signal" never came.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:27 am
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Yes, I wanted to push pawns big time, but you seemed to always give some reason for pause. I felt that I was playing a little more conservative than usual. And as far as attacking, your gameplay diffused the typical GPA game plan, so I think you played well, but then again, I am no expert at the GPA anyway (no offense of course)! :lol:

I really was in time panic mode at the end. I stuck my neck out and you hacked off my head!

Another fun game as always!

Thanks Again!

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:15 am
Knight

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Cool game & video. A few suggestions:

16.b4 pretty much wins a pawn, unless I have some huge blind spot. The more important thing is, though, that the b file just opened up on his king. White's probably just winning with this move. This move could've also been played on move 17 with what is probably a winning edge for white.

18...g5 just drops a pawn. A clear blunder, since white had the shot 20.Nxd6+! followed by 21.Bc5, game over. After the game continuation white still has a nice edge though.

22.e5!? looked pretty cool to me, with the idea of Ne4 and big pressure to follow. And also I really think all of this queen worrying was kind of pointless in many ways. I mean, it's good to be aware, but really I just didn't see any concrete danger with his rook having to guard the g pawn constantly. Instead after 22.Qf2 black countered with 22...b5! and pretty much equalized.

Other than that (and a few time pressure mistakes at the end) I feel like the game was played pretty well by both sides, especially white. Black played decently but I feel like the g6, h5 plan was really out of place. In the early part of the game with this 11.Ng5 I was really concerned about "squishy" squares like e6 and f7 and the possibilty of an f5 break to really soften up these light squares, even as a pawn sac. Even though it didn't happen in the game it looks like a very real possibilty.

Oh, BTW, I've sent you a challange on chess.com (my handle there is Xylograph). I hope we can play and have our epic battle documented in a fine video such as this!

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:57 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Haim,

This is Great!

I can't wait to go over your ideas in more detail a little later (when I have more time) to make sure I understand everything thoroughly.

I really appreciate you doing this and I will defo take your challenge on chess.com

Thanks!

KB

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:46 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Haim,

I finally took time with your comments. Sorry it took so long.

*16 b4, great move to use the pin. I can tell in our current chess.com game that you are a tactical monster!

*18...g5? and Nxd6+, another nice pawn-winning tactic especially if white takes back with the queen instead of moving the king

*22.e5! I really like this move! Yes, I tend to get paranoid about my Queen. People often accuse me of "seeing ghosts".

*You said: "11.Ng5 I was really concerned about "squishy" squares like e6 and f7"... LOL I hadn't heard of the term "squishy" in chess (in terms of "softening up the light squares), but more importantly, I really was more focused on the dark squares as you are looking at the light ones! Interesting!

Haim, this was very helpful and very much appreciated. Your insights are much deeper than mine and I hope to learn from this lesson and look deeper into tactical and positional opportunities! I really do appreciate you taking time and putting in the effort to bring me these game tips!

Toe-DAH

KB :D

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:21 am
Knight

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
You're-WELCOME!
Well first of all the term "squishy" really does not exist proper lol, I just couldn't find a good word to describe what I was thinking. TBH I think I was a little overreacting to these g6 and h5 moves which I didn't like at all. I am generally a very aggressive player and I tend to have fantasies about things that do not exist. I kept looking at things like Nxf7 followed by f5 open the f flie against the king, but these things just do not work, especially in light of the fine defensive move 11...Bd7 which takes away any possible Nxe6 sacrifices. I do think though that with black's king still in the center and white's knight, rook and queen nicely posted there is a point to looking at these potential light square complex tactics.

"I really was more focused on the dark squares as you are looking at the light ones!" I think that looking at the dark squares is actually a very correct way of thinking because g6 and h5 really weakend squares like g5 and f6. However besides Ng5 which you played (correctly, I think) I didn't see any way to try to exploit these weak squares. And even though it turns out that there was no tactic (if there is, it is quite deeply hidden and I'd be delighted to see it), the potential for one definately seems to exist. An interesting I idea that I have learned from GM Jesse Kraai as well as from David Bronstein is that a weakness of one color complex often leads to a weakness on the second complex as well. For example, in this game black weakend the g5 square with the move h5. This allowed you to sink a knight on g5, from which it exerted pressure on the potentially weak light squares e6 and f7. Bronstein wrote a great book on a tournament in Zurich, 53' and the first game in the book (I think it was Geller - Szabo) revolves around the exact same theme. Bronstein has some beautiful annotations on that one, which I recommend looking at.

I'll try to give an example of what I mean by tactics which exploit "squishy" light squares:
In the Bc4 line of the pirc (Katar has a great video on this site where he plays the queen sac variation.. I recommend it) white can punish black very nicely for grabbing a pawn by a classic light square combination - after 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Bc4 Bg7 5.Qe2 Nc6 6.e5 Nd7 7.Nf3 black can't win a pawn with 7...dxe5 because of the response 8.Bxf7+! Kxf7 9.Qc4+ Ke8 10.Ng5 and black has no adequate defense to the threats.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:57 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Cool, Thanks Again Haim for all the great info and explainations.

FYI, I am now only playing and analyzing my own games and I really just don't have the time to study chess at all anymore. I am just a recreational player. Of course I want to get better, but mainly by experience and by doing just this, getting feedback on actual game I played. I will try to watch some other vids, but it is really hard for me.

Thanks Again!

KB

Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:44 pm

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
i heard d6 is not a good move by black in the gpa

Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:11 pm
Pawn

Kings Blade at the 21 min mark (black just played g5) notice black's unprotected knight on e7. You had a nice tactical shot at this point with Nxd6+. Black has two options, move the king or take the knight with queen and both lose material. With QxN white replies Bxc5 and when the black queen moves Bxe7 wins the unprotected knight and threatens the pawn on f6. White is now two pawns up with open files on black's king. If black instead moves the king to b8 (not d8 because of Nf7+ forking king and rook) white still has Nf7 forking bishop and rook. If black then tries gxf4 white has Bxc5 and now the knight on e7 plus the rook on h8 and bishop on h6 are under attack and black will lose more material. Either way white is better. I know time was a factor but always be on the lookout for tactics when a player has unprotected pieces, same goes if you have them as you may fall prey to tactics. :)

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:40 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

WH,

Yes, That's a nice combo!

Thanks for watching and pointing that out! :)

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:22 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Hey ho, Kingsblade *wave*

[quote="KingsBlade"]WH,

Thanks for watching and pointing that out! :)[/quote]

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:02 am
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hey GW!!! :)

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:53 am
Pawn

[quote="KingsBlade"]WH,

Thanks for watching and pointing that out! :)[/quote]

You are welcome. I sorta forgot about the GP against the Sicilian and watching this game has renewed my interest in it. By the way look me up on FICS sometime and we can have a game together, my handle there is the same as here. :-)

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]