View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
katar - 1.e4 e5 for Black; Two Knights Defense [34:49] 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: katar - 1.e4 e5 for Black; Two Knights Defense [34:49]
Oops! Sorry about that... It's fixed now -- in the other threads too. Let me know about any others... Thanks!

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:56 am
Pawn

Rating: 1600
The Perreux variation (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4 Nf6 5. Ng5) is not explicitly covered here. There is lots of analysis at Michael Goeller's site http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~goeller/uru ... index.html for interested parties. One line recommended there for Black is 5. ... d5 6.exd5 Qe7+ 7. Kf1 (7. Qe2 and 7. Bf1 are inferior, see analysis).

Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:56 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
I was checking analysis with Crafty and Hiarcs while doing the CPT version of this repertoire and encountered a couple of things in this line:

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. d4 exd4
4. Bc4 Nf6
5. e5 d5
6. Bb5 Ne4
7. Nxd4 Bc5
8. Nxc6?! Bxf2+
9. Ke2? Qd7 After this move, you state that Black is threatening Qg4, winning the White queen. I'm not sure that's the case as the queen is protected by the rook on h1
the position is still bad looking for White though- Hiarcs advocates ...Bg4+ straight off with an edge for Black. I don't take this as gospel at all and you have done extensive analysis here so I'm interested in your thoughts. After 9...Qd7, Hiarcs gives the shocking 10.e6!? apparently winning a piece- its analysis follows:
10. e6! fxe6
11. Nxa7 c6
12. Nxc8 cxb5
13. Nd2 Nxd2
14. Qxd2 Bc5
15. b4 Bxb4
16. Qxb4 Rxc8
In the final position, Black obviously has some compensation for the piece, but is it enough?

Thanks!

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:04 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
kamus wrote:
I was checking analysis with Crafty and Hiarcs while doing the CPT version of this repertoire and encountered a couple of things in this line

Hi Kamus. Yes, this is an oversight. Please see first post in this thread. viewtopic.php?p=45832#p45832

Also this tidbit from another thread:
*Two Knights Defense: my coverage of "Kaidanz variation" is unclear. See Abby Marshall's article for detailed info. http://www.chesscafe.com/text/abby03.pdf

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Sorry, I had forgotten about the earlier post- sorry to drag this out again! I will incorporate the new analysis into the CPT version. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am
Profile WWW
King

No prob. I will expect a masterpiece when your final version is released. :-p

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

katar wrote:
In general the analysis in the video should be OK...

HOWEVER, FYI the assessments re: the following position are very superficial and possibly misleading:

Now Ke2 Qd7, e6!! [only move] fxe6 is balanced, but i prefer black , with e6-e5 and Rf8 coming.

Also Kf1 bxc6 is chaotic and messy and perhaps also balanced, but i cannot say that ...bxc6 is any better than ...Qh4. Adolf Anderssen played bxc6 in ~1860 and won a characteristically nice game against "Pineda".

Hey Katar,

I have to say that I'm not yet convinced by this Qd7 move. You are a stronger and more experienced player so I would always defer to you in these matters, however despite Black's obvious compensation in this relatively forcing line (quoted in my post above) I'm not really sure I'd want to play this position a piece down. Black's king, like White's, is stuck in the center. Black has extra pawns and a better center but once White's pieces come out I fear White will have an advantage. I hope I'm wrong. The alternative to Qd7 as suggested by the computers is Bg4 but that is also a messy line that is not clearly better (or equal) for Black though. This is probably fairly academic though as I'm not sure many players would opt for Ke2 in the first place. I think most players would tend to tuck their kings into the seemingly safer f1 square rather than face the obvious threatened skewer of ...Bg4 even if it is theoretically OK for them to ignore it. At any rate, it's a fascinating position, albeit one that is giving me a headache right now! :eye:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
King

Oh please don't defer to me, or anyone, on something so subjective and personal as opening repertoire choices! My view is that i'd rather offer a chaotic mess than give white the textbook blockading game he is after, following the more common move Bd7 instead of Bc5.

I doubt i'm a more experienced player than you-- i've played about 110 rated USCF games in my life. I'm also not nearly as strong as whatever engine you're using, HiArcs or Firebird/Rybka, etc. And ultimately i'm no judge for the sort of chess positions you personally prefer to play!

Finally, my analysis may simply be completely wrong. Let's not forget these videos are superficial *in spots* and are simply a hobby project by a relatively weak amateur. I have no personal experience in these lines. As a practical matter, this is a rare continuation-- white will be scared to enter it since it is a sideline within a sideline and Black can be presumed to have more knowledge since Black willfully entered the sideline to begin with.

BTW, did you check the Abby Marshall article? I would tend to trust her opinion since she is 2200+ and has played this her whole life.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thanks for your response- actually I did download Abby's article but had forgotten about it until you reminded me- it seems that ...Bg4 is indeed the move and black is fine. She is a little less high on Qd7 giving it as unclear, but she seems to think it's more viable for black than I originally thought.

As far as deferring to you, your rating (as well as observing your thought processes as demonstrated in your videos) makes it clear that you understand more about chess than I do. Although I'm quite a bit older (55) I didn't start playing chess until I was 30 and then I took seven years off from the game while I raised my family so my rated game count is probably similar to yours. Lately, I've been more involved in chess as a TD and haven't been able to find the time to play rated games. Although TDs are allowed to play in events they direct, the reality is that it's an utter nightmare if you do :shock: . I hope to change that since my chess understanding has grown considerably since I quit the game 9 years ago, in part thanks to you and the other producers here - my goal is to make expert before I turn 65! At any rate, I have nothing but respect for you and your opinions and I have felt very comfortable with the e4-e5 repertoire- so once more- a big thanks!

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
King

OMG, I LOVE YOU KATAR

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:44 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
Here's my latest cleaned up PGN effort. Looks like there were some corrections in the thread discussions. If anyone could vector me in on them off the top of their head, I'll be happy to include them. I'm just too sleepy at the moment to read the thread in detail and figure it out...

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

(This has been posted in the other relevant threads too- since the original post where I linked to the CPT repertoire has long since dropped off the radar, I thought it made sense to link here):

I have transcribed Katar's e4-e5 complete repertoire into Chess Position Trainer format. See the link at the end of this post.

Please note that for my ease in transcription, I divided the repertoire into several sub-repertoires however many transpositions exist from one opening to another that are not addressed by this method of organization. Fortunately, CPT allows one to merge the sub-repertoires (discrete sub-reps or altogether) to create one super-repertoire that does address the transposition issue. If you do this (and you probably should for training purposes), first make a copy of the original in case you want to split off any of the sub-repertoires at a later date.

Also, databases are very tricky to proofread and Katar didn't speak the moves aloud at many points as he whizzed through variations making transcription a real challenge at times, so undoubtedly there will errors and oversights. Please let me know when you discover these as I will continue to update the repertoire over time.

All the material covered in his videos including comments (though often condensed) and evaluations is included. I also drew on other sources- articles, books and computer analysis in places where I thought it was useful to flesh out the lines or investigate obvious looking replies that were not originally covered in the videos. The only video of his 9-part series not included is the Main Line Berlin Defense ("The Berlin Wall") as the types of positions that arise (i.e. based on ideas rather than variations) do not lend themselves to a database treatment very successfully. You should watch his video for the ideas involved as well as Dennis Monokroussos' two excellent videos (albeit with a different approach to the opening than Katar's recommendations) and Cox's book (The Berlin Wall).

Many thanks to katar for his hard work and diligent research and also a big shoutout to Wildman whose PGN transcriptions proved invaluable at times.

Enjoy!

http://nationalchessacademy.org/Katar_K ... _e4_e5.zip

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: USCF 1578
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)

Just want to say that I am still appreciating katar's video series as I am getting back into tournament chess. I played in a weekend Swiss tourney yesterday at a local club and won the above game against a class A player - the highest rated opponent I have beaten yet (1823)!
OK so it wasn't a very interesting game. We traded a bunch of pieces, then he left me a present at the end. Still it was nice to have equality from my opening by just making active, classical moves.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:24 pm
King

Awesome, congrats -- happy for you.
You played a more solid line (8...Bd7) than the one covered in my video (8...0-0). You played a good solid game. White's 18.g4 seemed a bit "disrespectful" shall we say. White was under a lot of pressure and down a pawn when he blundered the game.
Getting over the preconceived notions about higher-rated players is half the battle. 1800, 2000, 2100, is really nothing special and players at that level still make punishable mistakes regularly.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
King

blitz game. pretty much the whole game was canned book knowledge cuz i'm pretty sure 14...Qb4! is in the video -- threatening both d4-d3 and Qxb2. i remember Tarrasch recommended Qb4 in a similar position as an improvement on his game against Nimzowitsch IIRC. i still like this line for Black. 8)

Fri May 23, 2014 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next