View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Dewetha's journal 
King

Rating: 1230
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Post Re: Dewetha's journal
I have been continuing to play tactics on Chesstempo.

Stats for standard tactics
Rating: 1423.6 (RD: 38.93) (Best Active Rating: 1451 Worst Active Rating: 1285)
Active Rank: 3992/5531 (Better than: 27.83% Best Active: 3756 Worst Active: 5411)
Problems Done: 2017 (Correct: 1159 Failed: 858)
Percentage correct: 57.46%
Average recent per problem time spent 27 seconds
FIDE Estimated Rating based on standard tactics: 1626

Stats for endgame theory
Rating: 1382.9 (RD: 89.24)
Active Rank: Not Active/388
Problems Done: 42 (Correct: 31 Failed: 11)
Percentage correct: 73.81%

although I still miss tactics in the game, I do spot my errors more frequently right after I make a move. I really need to work on that. although I play 10 min games, I still feel I need to calculate better.

as for openings. I think I will stick to the caro-kann and pick up a little Slav/semi- slav knowledge just enough to get me inot a decent position during the first 4 or 5 moves.

as for White. I have decided to switch it up a little and go with a reti opening. this has turned out well for today games. about 10 games typical 10,0 blitz.

the london is a nice systems and to explore it better, I will need to study it deeply. for now, I am continuing my opening study time to black. I will put the london on the back burner until next year and play the reti. the open games really let you play more tactics quickly.

to strengthen my fundamentals, I plan on picking up a book called the complete book of chess strategy
http://www.borders.com/online/store/Tit ... 1890085014

I am pretty sure a solid foundation of the basics will help out of some sticky situations.

for now my FICS blitz rating has been holding steady in the low 1200's. my chess cube blitz rating is like 1600. someday i will join a better site, maybe ICC and test my skills.

thanks for reading.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:43 pm
King

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
You go human :D

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:32 am
King

after taking sage advice from many forum members on this site, I have given up my safe semi closed potions of the london and caro/slav for more dynamic and exciting openings of e4,e5. losing a lot of games especially in black. considering I had a better win percentage white black, it has hurt review some of those games. I ahve recovered someone back to my normal skill level. hopefully I will make an advancement forward.

some days I do very well dominating a game and others scrapping for my life on every single move. below are two recent games on my way back up. I am low 1500's, at on point I was dancing with 1700 on chesscube, however Chesscube has far more casual player so my 1200 rating on FICS is more realistic in my view.

10 min games.

game one I am white and this guy isn't as bad as his game showed. he would have beaten me in another game but lost connection. this game features a lot of basic tactics of pins and discovered checks. I wanted to open the center and he played very aggressive.

game 2. I am black. here I employed a little strategy over tactics at move 22)..Bd4 , I decide that I like his rook blocked in and my strong pawn chain and the bishop pinning the king. i was looking at using that open center file to drive a rook down there so i left the fork tactic alone. his queen has to move or get forked on this move. he had two open squares e2 or d1. he missed the simple tactic of a discovered check, wining a queen.he was worried about protecting his bishop who has to move to e2 or be taken.

Sun May 09, 2010 7:27 am
King

It's been a while since i update this but for the most part I have been playing some tactics which I keep rushing through. just like my games!.
and for better or worse I have continued to play e4-e5 openings.

the problem when opening up e4 is half the time I face c5. I recently discovered my normal replies are not real sound so I ma going to try for 2.c3. I will see how that goes but may try the wing gambit I read about if c3 leads to too much boring play.

I have been playing a slav in answer to the d4 but that really doesn't fit my main goals of dynamic type game for blitz or 10 min games. I decided to experiment with the Dutch and will give it a shot for about 50 games and see if I can play it out well enough. it seam fairly light on theory. eco codes A80 through A99. most are only 6 or 7 moves deep.

it seam two main pawn structures variation exist(when no crazy exchanges take place) one leaves a hole on e5 and one on e6. seam like that will give me some opportunity to focus on the middle of the board and see deep tactics.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:10 pm
King

it's been a while and life has derailed my training schedule to the point where I just have time to play some games and not study. I mostly play correspondence games from my Droid phone. but some patterns are emerging though the stress and, well there I go again. it seams I drift back to a common theme. I need to play the same kinds of openings. lately playing the dutch has lead me to play the Bird/Polar bear for white. I get into wild crazy games where there is a lot of tactics evolved.

one reinforcing concept comes through when I don't have time to study. the basics are more important than opening theory. if I not using it, I loose it in a manner of speaking. I spent some time studying the opening theory of the caro-kann. I have not really used it in a long time and I just don;t recall all the move orders and variations on lines.

I am torn between playing a carefree open chess game filled with tactics and no theory,play everything by ear or decide on a system opening base for white and black. play them all the time and in a few years move onto another system. who knows.

but in mean time I am finding a lot of fun in gambits and dynamic wing openings.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:47 am
King

the cold biter winter sets in and not much to do outside other than clean up frozen dog poop. time to focus on my chess. I'm going to keep it simple.

master the Dutch by ready the 3 eBooks I received for Christmas(starting out the Dutch,play the Dutch and dangerous weapons:the Dutch)
finish 10-20 tactics a week with 100% accuracy.
read or do end game puzzles daily.
figure out the bird/polar bear opening without buying any books.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:27 am
Knight

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
keep at it and youll keep improving
where are you up to now?

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
King

thanks.

these days I have been switching it up a little playing 5 min games vs 10 min games. trying to make sharper moves and faster calculations.
I have also been trying gambits to see if the tactics training helps.

some days I do ok, other I fail horribly. work has picked up and my chess time is even more limited. i probable need to train more and play less. it definitely a struggle. I hope to break into the next level soon.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:06 pm
King

so far I have playing gambits for white, danish,Diemer-Duhm and Smith Mora.for black, the dutch,budapest and Katars-e4-35 system.

I floundered up and down but have made some great strides. dropping down to low 1400 on chess.com and now have been on a rampage and looking to crack that 1600 barrier on that site.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:18 pm
King

the pressure of playing gambit just show too many holes in my game.

I am playing horrible chess right now and I just need to settle down into some boring openings or at least no gambits until I get my head back in the game. I will cut down on the 5 min blitz and go into longer games with more careful play. I will have to try out a few openings and see what that gives me.

I picked up two books not on openings :)

the amateurs mind by silman and practical endgames by everyman. I am going to work through the endgame book first, over the board. then proceed through the amateurs mind. this should take me through most 1st half of the year.

I also want to learn all the mating patterns, there are 50 in "how to beat your dad at chess", so how many more are there?

I have seen books on traps so those will be good to know as well.

I may join a chess club and see if that helps my game as well.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:14 pm
King

I have attended my first chess club meeting. it was a very good time and will go to more.

I have made a full circle in my chess philosophy. before my awaking in chess, I played on Yahoo and did what ever, without any plan.

I came here saw a caro-cann vid and loved that opening. it is in my nature to be a counter attack person to let the game flow and pounce on chances. however i was no tactical master and no positional guru. I hit wall quickly. over the next year I went to open games,wing openings and then gambits.

now i have some back to my comfort zone of counter attack. but now i have much more stronger sense of tactics while i focus a little on positional play. I will continue to study end games, pawns structures and chess thinking which all should help me get to the next level.

now in this next cycle of chess, I will use my positional counter attack style in long games. usually online tournaments, club play. the london(90pct), occasional reti or English to mix it up and transposition to lines I know if possible. for black, the caro-cann/slav and dutch.

and online. I will develop my aggressive side on blitz games with gambits and open games. danish,smith mora, albin counter, a little schmiealman(sp) (the ruy lopez f5 move) etc etc.

hopefully another year of study will get me to that 1600-1700 level(on chess.com)

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:41 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Keep up the good work!

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Hope you enjoy club life =D
Of course now the next step is to play in an OTB tourney.
Gogogo ^^

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:26 pm
Profile ICQ
King

thanks guys. maybe someday I will try a low end tournament.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:38 pm
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
hey, you appear to be interested in getting better with your chess. If I can be of help please feel free: http://chesstrainingschool.com/

my contact info is there, any questions I will answer them.

Charles

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next