View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
katar - 1.e4 e5 for Black: Four Knights [33:29] 
Video Manager

Post katar - 1.e4 e5 for Black: Four Knights [33:29]
Poster: katar
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200) | Videos Made: 83
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.64 (11)

Video Tags: belgrade four knights glek halloween repertoire scotch

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Wildman, Sarciness, Robert_T, gentlewhisper

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:05 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: katar - 1.e4 e5 for Black: Four Knights [33:29]
PGN below. Up to 3.5 hours now, wow.

One bad habit i have is saying "black is equal" over and over again. It's what i say when i have nothing to say. "Equal" is so nebulous that the phrase has no value. These vids could have been better, now that i've had some practice doing this for awhile. But it's nearly done and that's good. Dennis M already made 2 forty-minute vids on Berlin anyway.....

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Hi katar,

Thanks for another great video! Once again you did a really great job of explaining your approach logically and clearly. Who cares if you say, "Black is equal," a lot? If Black has actually equalized on move 5, that's worth pointing out. People listening to these videos are mostly club level players and more sign-posting than less can't hurt, ya know...? :D

I especially liked your approach to the Spanish Four Knights with the 7... Ne7 (Pillsbury Variation?) idea. Back when I was playing 1... e5 (for about 6 months of CC games plus one OTB tournament back in 2008), I was using Mihail Marin's recommended approach (in Beating the Open Games) which was the ...Qe7 and ...Nd8-e6 (and then sometimes Nf4-Ng6 since GMs generally do something other than Bh4 after ...Ne6) you mentioned briefly, and your approach just seems so much simpler and more practical at the club level. Marin might be the best (or one of the top 5-10) chess author(s) on the planet, but his repertoire books, while very readable by club players, are suitable for use by a 2600 GM and there's just a ton of theory in his book to absorb *AFTER* reading his brilliant explanation of the main ideas in historically important games (and his analysis of the ...Qe7 and ...Nd8-e6 plan is worth reading no matter what you play).

As for the last one, your die-hard fans are still waiting on it -- with all due respect to Dennis M (whose videos I also love!). After all, his Berlin videos are premium so most folks can't go back and look them up. Also, I'm interested in your perspective on it. If I want reams of excellent master level explanations and theory on the Berlin, I can go plunk down a few $$$ and buy the John Cox tome (which I've seen at Borders and it looks like an amazingly good opening book -- maybe as good as the Marin ones as far as the general explanations go). You have a lot of good, practical things to say that most class level players would do well to think about -- stuff that for the most part you won't get in a master level analysis.

I'm also curious about what you practically see from your opponents in the Berlin. The reason I moved away from 1... e5 was that in my CC (and both of the OTB tournament) games where I played 1... e5, they invariably went 4. O-O Nxe4 and then 5. Re1 or 5. Bxc6 dxc6 6. Re1 followed by a caveman attack down the e-file. Yeah, the attack isn't lethal and you do eventually equalize (if you defend well...) -- but you often have to fight hard for 10-20 moves and by the time you equalize, there's little play left in the position. It just got boring...

Hmmmm... maybe those last two paragraphs belong in the thread with the next video... :oops:

L8erz...
=wild=

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:46 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Good series, Katar. Don't worry about 'Black is equal' because you tend to most of the time give your thoughts as to why this is so. If you can explain why you feel it is equal that is a bit help to club players.

Keep up the good work.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1312
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Good vidoes! Seen them all... I would like too show U some id├ęs from the frits variation of the 2nights opening. U like to play the move b5 as black. Look at whites best line with the response Bf1!

Have fun with 1. e4 e5

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:43 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Painkiller- Katar covers that line (and the Fritz variation) in this video: viewtopic.php?t=5953

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:47 am
Profile WWW
Rook

Rating: 2053
Hi Katar,

I have already seen these videos, but I wanted a friend to have a look at the scotch four knights, as he play just that.
He pointed out that the trap you mention after 12...h6 13.Bh6 can be meet by
13...gh
14.Qe3 d4! when white has nothing better than a repetition of moves.

Thus this can be used as a drawing weapon if ever someone 500 pts higher rated enters this line as white!

Good videos and I particulary liked the d5 line in the Goring video.

Kind regards

Bayes

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:34 am
King

A top-level game played on June 25, 2010! Nisipeanu, 2672 : Ponomariov, 2733. :shock:

Ponomariov follows the suggested line in the video. POnomariov improves on the main game in the video - Tarrasch vs Yates, Karlsbad 1923 - with the strong novelty 11...a5! instead of 11...Qd6.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Cleaned up the PGN some on 2011_03_11, but nothing major.

I just watched this again for the 3rd or 4th time. I'm going to start playing this in my CC games and we'll see how it goes. I needed to redo the PGN in a way that is more accessable to me (smaller chunks) and which follows the video topic chronology more closely (and doesn't have the ChessBase color/arrow info). If anyone would find that useful, here it is:

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

I noticed there wasn't anything in about the Italian Four Knights in here. Was that covered in another video?

Last edited by Wildman on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:29 am
King

Wildman wrote:
I noticed there wasn't anything in about the Italian Four Knights in here. Was that covered in another video?

There is probably a passing mention of it in the Two Knights video (#3). It's a non-starter for White. 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Nc3?! Nxe4 and Black is equal at worst.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Knigh ... _Bc4.3F.21

Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ahhh... I remember... The old "Fork Trick." Thanks!

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
(This has been posted in the other relevant threads too- since the original post where I linked to the CPT repertoire has long since dropped off the radar, I thought it made sense to link here):

I have transcribed Katar's e4-e5 complete repertoire into Chess Position Trainer format. See the link at the end of this post.

Please note that for my ease in transcription, I divided the repertoire into several sub-repertoires however many transpositions exist from one opening to another that are not addressed by this method of organization. Fortunately, CPT allows one to merge the sub-repertoires (discrete sub-reps or altogether) to create one super-repertoire that does address the transposition issue. If you do this (and you probably should for training purposes), first make a copy of the original in case you want to split off any of the sub-repertoires at a later date.

Also, databases are very tricky to proofread and Katar didn't speak the moves aloud at many points as he whizzed through variations making transcription a real challenge at times, so undoubtedly there will errors and oversights. Please let me know when you discover these as I will continue to update the repertoire over time.

All the material covered in his videos including comments (though often condensed) and evaluations is included. I also drew on other sources- articles, books and computer analysis in places where I thought it was useful to flesh out the lines or investigate obvious looking replies that were not originally covered in the videos. The only video of his 9-part series not included is the Main Line Berlin Defense ("The Berlin Wall") as the types of positions that arise (i.e. based on ideas rather than variations) do not lend themselves to a database treatment very successfully. You should watch his video for the ideas involved as well as Dennis Monokroussos' two excellent videos (albeit with a different approach to the opening than Katar's recommendations) and Cox's book (The Berlin Wall).

Many thanks to katar for his hard work and diligent research and also a big shoutout to Wildman whose PGN transcriptions proved invaluable at times.

Enjoy!

http://nationalchessacademy.org/Katar_K ... _e4_e5.zip

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]