View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
ChevetteEighty - Sicilian Checkhover Win For White [16:31] 
Video Manager

Post ChevetteEighty - Sicilian Checkhover Win For White [16:31]
Poster: ChevetteEighty
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600) | Videos Made: 3
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.00 (1)

Video Tags: e4 Openings Sicilian Checkhover Sicilian Defense

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:32 pm
Pawn

Rating: 2217
Rating Class: National Master
Post Re: ChevetteEighty - Sicilian Checkhover Win For White [16:31]
Hey ChevetteEighty, I thought you played a pretty controlling game. you took good advantage of your opponents light square weaknesses and errors and I really enjoyed watching this video! Your opening was very interesting as well. I have only played it once as black in tournament play and after Bxc6 I did bxc6 but I think Bxc6 is better as you had explained. Just thought I'd point out some places where you had missed some moves. I believe at around 7min when you asked why you didnt do Nf5 is because black can remove it with Bxf5 exf5 and Qxf2. Just wondering, after you did Rf1, could black have played Bb5 maybe to harass the Q and win an exchange? Still seems you can have counterplay but wouldve been interesting. Also, when you did Nf5+ and he moved the king instead of Qx you have Nxd6 threatening Nxc8 and Nxb7 hitting the Q with check. Anyway, I really enjoyed the game and hope to see more!!

Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:08 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
chrispace,

I looked at 1...Bb5 (as you mention after White played Rf1). I looks scary for Black after 2.Nf5+ when it seems that Black must play 2...Kf8 (other moves either lose the pawn with check, or worse, allow the knight to take on d6 with check picking up the bishop - and of course 2...Ke6 gets him mated). So, after 2...Kf8 White now has 3.Qd2 threatening the check on h6 (originally I looked at 3.Qg3 but is seems to come up short). If Black plays 3...h6 or 3...Rd8 White calmly plays Rfe1 now that the f-pawn is covered and Black exposed king and disconnected rooks gives White a nice edge. If 3...Bxf1 there follows 4.Qh6+ Ke8 5.Qxf6 and Black's KR is threatened as well as mate on e7.

Take this with a grain of salt, I don't have a chessboard available so I have no way to check my thoughts. But I think I'm sober enough after the Viking game to feel this to be the case.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1488 FICS
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the helpful comments. I did not see Bb5 and that could have been a problem had he played it. But having the Nf5+ move available would have been problamatic for him as sfarmer pointed out. I will certainly keep these things in mind as I get more chances to play this opening.

chrispace, thank you for your kind comments and also answering my questions. It helps when I have stronger players to point things out for me. Once again, thanks.

Don
(ChevetteEighty on FICS)

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:32 pm
Pawn

Rating: 2217
Rating Class: National Master
not a problem man. it was nice looking over your game.

Chris (pacekiosk) on FICS

Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:44 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1201
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
At 8:15 in the video when you traded queens and then Nb7 discovered check, I see that Nf7 discovered check could have won a rook. The problem is then your Knight is out of action but if anything you would have won the exchange.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:49 am
Pawn

Rating: 1488 FICS
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
cicione wrote:
Re: ChevetteEighty - Sicilian Checkhover Win For White [16:31]
At 8:15 in the video when you traded queens and then Nb7 discovered check, I see that Nf7 discovered check could have won a rook. The problem is then your Knight is out of action but if anything you would have won the exchange.

You are so right. I totally overlooked that. That most likely would have won for me right there. At the least I would have totally bypassed all the difficulties I later had when he cornered me with his rooks. Nice catch. Thanks.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]