View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
1.e4 e5 Repertoire for Black! Video Series 
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post 1.e4 e5 Repertoire for Black! Video Series
Hello,

I made a 4.5-hour video series containing fairly detailed coverage of 1.e4 e5 from Black's perspective.

See the WIKI for links and "Table of Contents".
http://www.chessvideos.tv/wiki/index.php/Katar%27s_Videos#Complete_1.e4_e5_Opening_Repertoire_for_Black

One might ask, how can this be an efficient repertoire if it takes 4.5 hours to present?? Well, the coverage is more detailed than a repertoire book in some places, and I did not skimp on quality of the lines. And the positions tend to be fairly intuitive or easy to play.

The goal is a sound & classical Tarrasch-approved repertoire built on the following criteria:
NO BAD PIECES
NO CRAMPED LACK OF SPACE
NO GIVE UP THE CENTER
NO WHITE INITIATIVE (to the extent possible)
PAWN DOWN IS OK, IF LOOKS RIGHT AND IF RYBKA APPROVES!

I relied upon my 1.5M game database, SCID, Rybka3 Dynamic, and the "Bibliography" here:
http://www.chessvideos.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?p=48121#p48121

In re-watching the videos, i believe this repertoire is playable up to and beyond master level. However, relatively speaking, the weak spots might be:
*Ulvestad against an extremely booked up or Rybka-prepared opponent. Still, GM Josh Friedel has had success with Ulvestad against 2300+. At some point you might as well learn the very fun and sound "Chigorin Counterattack" lines with ...Na5. Rybka says it's dead equal.
*Two Knights Defense: my coverage of the line in Dzindzi's book is weak. See L'Ami vs. Stellwagen, 2008 and Jiangchuan vs. Svidler, 2001 for games by 2600+ players in this line (post below).
*Two Knights Defense: my coverage of "Kaidanz variation" is unclear. See Abby Marshall's article for detailed info. http://www.chesscafe.com/text/abby03.pdf
*Some lines (eg, Scotch, Mieses with d7-d5 and queenswap; Capablanca defense) are not so ambitious. Eventually you could go with something with more punch.

Last edited by katar on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
King

Post Re: 1.e4 e5 Repertoire for Black! Video Series
Topical GM games in video repertoire coverage of Scotch Gambit in Dzindzi book:

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
I think the completion of the series deserves an update on the front page. This is comparable to a DVD in scope, so this is a huge project, both as a series and as what people on this site can do if they want to. Mad props.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:17 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Amen!

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Indeed. Must be stickied. Just an awesome project !

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:36 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
Major kudos for completing the entire project... Well done!

Maybe using this thread for analyzing games we play using it might be sort of a useful "self help" group sort of activity (particularly losses)? I've started using it in CC games, but chess.com site rules prohibit discussing the games until they're done so it may be awhile before I can post any of mine.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:26 pm
Knight

Rating Class: National Master
When are you going to do the similar to d4?

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:07 pm
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Perhaps we should create a CV essential reading thread (stickied). I'll think it over. If so, this is definitely on there.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:49 am
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
Hi Josh,

Maybe a link off of the Wiki main page for Essential Content? There's already a wiki page for all of katar's videos which has links to the series (and text identifying it as a series) as well as a link to this thread. The link to that page on the Wiki main page has it classified as a "User Project." Maybe all it needs is a promotion! :D

=wild=

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:31 am
Knight

Btw even if you are not making a video on the repertoire against d4 could you tell me what would you play against it?

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:29 pm
King

I added a link to the main Wiki page under "Member Projects". I don't think any more "promotion" is needed-- it seems like most people on CV.tv already know of the videos since there are so many of them.

chesstv wrote:
Btw even if you are not making a video on the repertoire against d4 could you tell me what would you play against it?

Well i think openings should be intuitive and strike a person as logical and somewhat straightforward. If i were teaching anyone under 1600 i'd strongly recommend the Tarrasch defense. Against the "system" (London, Colle) players, 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3, i'd go 2...c5. Against the English, answer 1.c4 with 1...e6 and follow up with 2...d5 and 3...c5 to reach the familiar Tarrasch setup. Against any other flank openings 1...d5 then e6 and c5 will do the trick. I would also study the maniacal Hennig-Schara gambit (a gambit offshoot of the Tarrasch), that Black can spring on certain opponents/occasions and for blitz games. It seems to me this is a very streamlined and logical way to open as black, and also very educational for handling IQP positions.

Abby Marshall has a good primer on the Tarrasch here: http://www.chesscafe.com/text/abby01.pdf

Taking this one step further, a person could specialize in IQP positions and play Tarrasch as black, and IQP systems as White:
c3 sicilian, Panov-Botvinnik caro-kann, and Exchange French with 4.c4. Baburin's "Winning Pawn Structures" would be the middlegame book to study since it is solely about IQP positions. I think a player could take this approach all the way to 2200 ELO. In fact Abby Marshall did exactly this to reach 2200+ USCF. She is a tactical monster. I also think it is worthy to note that Tarrasch defense was Garry Kasparov's favorite opening up until 1984 or 1985 when he first fought Karpov for the world champ..

Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

Btw are you hoping for 4.Ng5 after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6? Because you can just avoid with 3...Bc5

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:44 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

chesstv wrote:
Btw are you hoping for 4.Ng5 after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6? Because you can just avoid with 3...Bc5

Yes, but then you have to learn all the theory for the Italian game instead of just the Two Knights Defense. IMO, the Two Knights is a more dynamic way to play as well as it avoids symmetrical play. I don't want to speak for Katar- I'm sure he will comment- but I believe one idea behind his repertoire choices is that he can reach similar positions from different opening move orders which a) cut down on study time and b) make it possible to become familiar with the strategical goals and tactical motifs that arise in closely related positions. If you see some of his other videos you will see that his choice against the Ruy Lopez, for example, involve the choosing Classical 3...Nf6 (Berlin Defense) which gives the resulting positions certain features in common with the Two Knights.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Knight

kamus wrote:
chesstv wrote:

Yes, but then you have to learn all the theory for the Italian game instead of just the Two Knights Defense. IMO, the Two Knights is a more dynamic way to play as well as it avoids symmetrical play. I don't want to speak for Katar- I'm sure he will comment- but I believe one idea behind his repertoire choices is that he can reach similar positions from different opening move orders which a) cut down on study time and b) make it possible to become familiar with the strategical goals and tactical motifs that arise in closely related positions. If you see some of his other videos you will see that his choice against the Ruy Lopez, for example, involve the choosing Classical 3...Nf6 (Berlin Defense) which gives the resulting positions certain features in common with the Two Knights.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 and now is not 4.d3 the italian? I have not yet seen all the videos though.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:40 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

My bad :oops: - yes the lines can transpose and both lines can be said to part of the Italian/Two Knight's complex- however playing Nf6 before Bc5 often leads to different positions and avoids having to learn theory unique to the other move order such as the Möller Attack or the Evans Gambit. Again, I don't want to speak for Katar, but I believe he welcomes the Ng5 lines for he quotes Tarrasch's proclamation that Ng5 is "a duffer's move". Personally, I'm not sure that it really is a duffer's move except in appearance (it violates opening principles by moving a piece twice) but even he concedes in his Ulvestad video that with best play, white can gain an edge. Also many strong players as white have essayed the move so it can't be that bad. That said, I think the Ulvestad is a good choice as the road to that white edge is sharp and narrow. The critical retreating move (Bf1) for white is probably somewhat counter-intuitive for the unprepared white player making the variation a good practical choice for black.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next