View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Studentofchess' journal 
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: Studentofchess' journal
studentofchess wrote:
Josh, I remember there being a video - or maybe it was just posts on the forum - where a couple of cv.tv members met up and had a mini match.....now that I think about it maybe you were one of the two involved in that. Anyway, maybe Frank & I should get together for something like that; I haven't made any videos (yet) but he's done a ton of them and obviously does good work. Having seen his games, and knowing where my game is at right now, I know I would get crushed. But I would be willing to "get publicly crushed" for the good of the site and I always appreciate the opportunity to play stronger players (1. good benchmark on improvement progression, 2. learning opportunity). What do you think?

Sounds pretty cool to me. Unfortunately I live a loooooooong way away from Oregon :)

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:13 pm
Profile ICQ
Rook

Rating: 2075
Thursday, 6/24

1. Analysis - 30 min completing "in-game" thoughts for Round 2 game last weekend. This completes my first phase of going over the games, now I will begin actually analyzing them.
2. Play - 30 min deciding on move for one on-line game.
3. Reading - 30 min "Reassess Your Chess" (last section on Bishops, pgs 73-75)

Friday, 6/25

1. Reading - 30 min "Reassess Your Chess" (completed the section on Bishops, pgs 75-78; started the section on Knights, pgs 79-80)
2. Opening prep - 30 min - went over some games in my database in the Ruy Lopez Exchange Variation in prep for my cv.tv. game.
3. Play - 30 min - cv.tv. Round 4 game (draw)
4. Watched Andrewrun's video of his cv.tv. Round 4 game vs Augelmo

Saturday, 6/26

1. Watched Augelmo's video of his cv.tv. Rd 4 game vs Andrewrun
2. Play - 45 min - at various times throughout day I sat down and made my move in several on-line games
3. Play - 90 min - Spent a big portion of the day working outside, when I was done I came in and sat down and played some blitz.
4. Tactics - 30 min - Completed 5 tactics problems on chesstempo. This was much faster than what it normally takes me, but for some reason, I managed to see the solution to all of them pretty quickly (though I did miss the final move in the solution to three of the problems).

Sunday, 6/27

1. Opening Prep - 15 min - Reviewed lines in a variation of Botvinnik English (Black plays ...c5) before deciding on move in one of my on-line games.
2. Play - 10 min - Made move in two on-line games.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:58 pm
Rook

Goals for the week (in order of priority):

1. Analyze - 3 hours per week seems like a reasonable figure. This would be key positions from past games, as well as the games from my recent tournament.
2. Learning/Reading - 3 hours per week
3. Tactics - 5 x 30 min sessions
4. Opening Prep - 4 x 30 min sessions (Marin book on English)
5. On-Line games

I will start posting results from my most recent tourny ASAP (maybe tonight if have time).

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:40 pm
Rook

Monday, 6/28
1. On-Line Games - 45 min (2 games)

Tuesday, 6/29
1. On-Line Games - 60 min (3 games, 45 min on 1 game)

Wednesday, 6/30
1. Opening Prep - 60 min (reviewed games w/n repertoire before deciding on variation in On-Line Games)
2. On-Line Games - 30 min
3. Analysis - 30 min (Round 1 game from most recent tourny)

Thursday, 7/1
1. Opening Prep - 30 min (played 1 blitz game and reviewed the somewhat obscure opening variation that occurred)
2. Analysis - 30 min (more of Round 1 game from last tourny)

Friday, 7/2
1. Analysis / On-Line Game - 45 min (opponent played a move w/n an opening variation w/n my repertoire that has not been played before, spent quite a while figuring out my response)

Saturday, 7/3
1. On-Line Games - 10 min

Sunday, 7/4
(nothing)

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:41 pm
Rook

studentofchess wrote:
Goals for the week (in order of priority):

1. Analyze - 3 hours per week seems like a reasonable figure. This would be key positions from past games, as well as the games from my recent tournament.
2. Learning/Reading - 3 hours per week
3. Tactics - 5 x 30 min sessions
4. Opening Prep - 4 x 30 min sessions (Marin book on English)
5. On-Line games

I will start posting results from my most recent tourny ASAP (maybe tonight if have time).

Totals for the week:
1. Analysis - 1 hour, 45 min
2. Learning/Reading - 0 min
3. Tactics - 0 min
4. Opening Prep - 90 min

At first glance, it appears that I was woefully short of missing the mark in my training goals for the week (excluding time put into on-line games). However, I'm actually dealing with a family issue right now that could potentially be nothing or potentially be very serious, and that is requiring more of my time. Probably will be the case for another couple weeks or so. In the meantime, I will just do some training whenever I can and remember that as much as I enjoy chess, where it sits on my priority list....

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:20 am
Rook

Monday, 7/5
1. Reading - 60 min ("Reassess your Chess" pgs 90 - 99)

Tuesday, 7/6
1. On-Line Game - 45 min (interesting, somewhat non-standard position. Worked on my thought process: 1. Evaluate (verbalize before you analyze), 2. Come up w/ ideal position to decide if plan makes sense, 3. Candidate moves, 4. Analyze / decide on candidate move, 5. Checks/Captures/Threats, 6. What does this move do for my position?)

Wednesday, 7/7
1. On-Line Games - 30 min
2. Analysis - 30 min (still working on first round game from last tourny)

Thursday, 7/8
1. On-Line Games - 90 min (mostly on one game - very interesting position, considering an exchange sac which as everyone knows is even riskier in correspondence / on-line chess where the opponent has all the time in the world to find the best defense).

Friday, 7/9
1. On-Line Games / Opening Prep - 30 min reviewing games w/n variation heading into

Saturday, 7/10
1. On-Line Games - 120 min (probably 90 min of this on that game - see Thursday - w/ the potential exchange sac...many, many variations, and I win in most of them, but unfortunately w/ exact play by my opponent, I think he can defend)

Sunday, 7/11
1. On-Line Games - 90 min (mostly on one other tough game I have going on right now)

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:21 am
Rook

Out of town at a conference Sun - Wed of this week. Brought family w/ me for some vacation time after classes, so likely not going to be much time for chess (training that is).

Monday, 7/12
1. On-Line Games - 45 min

Tuesday, 7/13
1. On-Line Games - 45 min (that game w/ the potential exchange sac....it doesn't work. I'm sure my position is not worse, but try as I may, I cannot find a continuation where I come out OK. Finally, I came back to my original plan and found a line that I think works.

Wednesday, 7/14
1. On-Line Games - 60 min (well, I found a problem w/ the line I was looking at yesterday, so I continued to "break my head" against this position and I'm confident that I've found the best, correct move. I'm confident that I'm not missing anything (we'll see!!) and that this is the best move as it fits my evaluation of the position. After this game gets a little further along, I will try and remember to post the moves in case anyone is interested given how much time I've put into this position. All told, I've probably got 5 hours into figuring out this position / continuation. Having said that, it is very gratifying - assuming I'm not missing anything - to have worked so hard and feel that I deeply understand this position.

Thursday, 7/15
1. On-Line Games - 30 min

Friday, 7/16
1. On-Line Games - 60 min (another challenging game - I'm currently playing in a Class tournament, Expert level - again using the new thinking process, and "verbalize before you analyze" helped me determine the best continuation where I am on the defensive. In case I come back to this game later in my journal, this was my game as Black vs Hemsley)
2. Opening Prep - 30 min (via reviewing blitz games - seem below).

Saturday, 7/17
1. Opening Prep - 60 min. I wound up playing several games of blitz Friday evening and then followed up last night and this morning by reviewing the opening variations that occurred in several of those games.
2. I also watched a few videos before going to bed as I had trouble getting to sleep.

Sunday, 7/18
No chess this day - spent most of day on church, then home-improvement projects, then get-together with friends.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:08 am
Rook

Monday, 7/19
1. On-Line Games - 120 min (over 60 min trying to understand position in game as White vs. hutter after his 16th move)

Tuesday, 7/20
Well, easily the most significant thing that has happened in the last month is getting good news today from the doctors re. my wife's health (see 7/5 post). Now, life can return to normal. I will be going out of town on a trip Thurs - Sunday, and then can get back to training. As my journal reveals, I have done little of that over the last couple weeks. Having said that, I do feel that the games I have going right now (in the Expert class tourny), with the challenging positions, and putting my revised thinking process into practice, is helping me to improve. I look forward to posting these games and getting other strong players input once they are done.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:57 pm
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Rating: 2183 CFC
Rating Class: National Master
I look forward to reading more about your progress. I have been on the comeback trail myself though I started in September of 2007 so it has been almost three years now. I have had a lot of ups and downs but finally feel that I have shaken off the rust. Forty four is not that old.

Crash

Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Rook

Well, it's been an interesting couple of weeks. Fresh off the good medical news, I went on my guys golfing weekend which was a good break from chess. Upon returning, I took a few more days off, just didn't feel like playing/studying. Then, Wed of last week we learned we had fleas in the house(!) That sucks!! So the last several days have been focused on fogging, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning, etc. etc. Things are starting to return to normal now.

I had put all my on-line games on vacation, so it was my move in all nine (currently) of them:

I spent some time (about 90 min) on Sunday working on a couple of my on-line games.

Another 60 min on Monday.

Another 60 min today to finish off the rest of the games.

Wednesday - got home late - went out for daughter's Bday.

Thursday - spent 2 hours (!) analyzing a subvariation from my Rd1 game in last tourny. This was very revealing to me, I was amazed at how much I learned and the deeper understanding I had of that position. Concluded my training w/ 30 min of tactics training.

Friday - another good training session, spent 90 minutes analyzing what I think is a critical position in one of my on-line games. Used my new thinking process, including Silman's position evaluation from "Reassess" book (I've got to find time to get back to that book), which really helped me understand the position better and what both sides plans should be. This opened my eyes to a handful of new variations I had not yet considered based upon new ideas from the better understanding of the position.

I really feel like I am making progress in my thinking process and position evaluation / understanding / plan formation etc. Of course, it's one thing to do it at home when you've got all the time you want to throw at a position, quite another to do it in an OTB game. But hopefully the deeper understanding of the game and various positions reaps rewards during those OTB games.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm
Rook

....well, I feel pretty silly....last night, after checking a few more things before making my move in my on-line game vs. Croalin, I realized I had missed something which made much of my 90 min worth of analysis on Friday night unnecessary. Having said that, I realize simply analyzing positions and getting a better positional understanding of the game is worthwhile, but I do still feel somewhat silly nonetheless. Also, it is of course a good thing that I caught my oversight and adjusted my play accordingly.

Tonight I spent 90 min on another on-line game (White vs. Hutter). Right now in my Class Tourny / Expert section, I've got three of the games which are pretty complex and/or non-standard positions. I've also got another key theoretical game going. Again, I will post some games as they get further along....

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:58 pm
Rook

Monday, 8/9 -
1. Analysis - 60 min (again!) on late opening position of Rd 1 game last tourny.
2. Tactics - 45 min on 6 problems (got stuck on one and was too stubborn to admit defeat........still missed it!! :x )

Tuesday, 8/10 -
Had a monthly board meeting that usually runs very late, so didn't have alot of extra time for training....however still managed this:
1. Analysis - 90 min (60 min on & off throughout the day had the engine running to check past analysis of Rd 1 game from last tourny; another 30 min that night going over a line I discovered I should NOT have dismissed)

Wednesday, 8/11 -
1. Analysis - 90 min figuring out moves in 3 on-line games before going out of town for the weekend.

Thursday, 8/12 -
At a conference in LA Thur - Sun, full schedule so probably not much time for training.
1. Analysis - 60 min. Used some airplane time to work some more on Rd1 game from last tourny - this one of the critical subvariations that I might have evaluated correctly but didn't fully understand how to execute White's edge (whew! this game getting a thorough analysis)

Friday, 8/13 -
Didn't really spend any time of substance on training, but did have the chess engine running to check my analysis....

Saturday, 8/14 -
Spent the whole day doing conference activities, so no training.

Sunday, 8/15 -
Travel day, got home and reconnected w/ family, was tired, started to do some tactics problems, after a couple I went to bed...

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:36 pm
Rook

Week of Monday 8/16 - Sunday 8/22:

My next tournament is coming up Labor Day weekend, about 3 weeks away. It is crucial that I perform well if I am to make my goal of qualifying for the state invitational next year. Currently, my USCF rating is still only 2050, though I feel I am on the cusp of making a breakthrough (the difficult work of analysis is helping I believe). As I reminded myself earlier in this journal, while I can certainly influence results, I cannot completely control them. But what I do have absolute control over is my training, and that should be my focus. If I do that, the results will take care of themselves.

So, for the next three weeks, my goal will be to accomplish:
1. Tactics - 5 CT problems + 3 TT problems DAILY
2. Opening Prep - 2 Blitz games, w/ review of opening variation played DAILY
3. Analysis - 60 min on either review of last tournament's games or on-line games DAILY
4. Play - 2 Game/60 games per week
If I have time available, I will put it toward continuing to progress through the "Reassess Your Chess" book, this has been very helpful, but I've found that the in-depth analysis I have been doing has been very time consuming.

Monday, 8/16
I developed this training plan this morning (Tues) so yesterday's training didn't follow the above strictly.
1. Tactics - 8 CT problems
2. Analysis - 90 min spent on StudentofChess-Agazzo on-line game.

Tuesday, 8/17
1. Tactics - 75 min for 5 CT & 3 TT problems (most all of which was on CT, where I wound up only getting a miserable 1 out of 5 this evening!!!)
2. Opening Prep - actually played 3 blitz games today........spent 45 min briefly reviewing the opening from those two games.
3. Analysis - 45 min (Rd 6 game from '09 OR Open)

Wednesday, 8/18
1. Tactics - 60 min for 6 CT problems (forgot Tactic Trainer)...solved 3 of 6 correctly
2. Analysis - 75 min....45 min on On-Line game (Agazzo-Studentofchess) and 30 min on Rd 6 game from '09 OR Open
3. Opening Prep - 30 min......Yesterday's 3rd blitz game, plus one game today.

Thursday, 8/19
Had to work late, so only had time for:
1. Tactics - 75 min for 7 CT problems (got 6 out of 7 correct)

Friday, 8/20
Again, busy day (morning building pergola, afternoon gardening, and evening fundraiser/dinner), so only had time for
1. Tactics - 60 min for 5 CT problems (got 3 out of 5 correct)
2. Opening Prep - Played 3 blitz games (since one was inconsequential for opening study) and reviewed the opening variations. In particular, I need to spend some more time studing the KID - 4 pawns attack....

Saturday, 8/21
More work on pergola, more gardening, and a nephews Bday party........got my tactics in, but it's already 10:15pm and I'm getting tired (sidebar - I guess it's official, I'm getting old!!) so not sure how much farther I'll get this evening.
1. Tactics - 60 min for 5 CT problems (got all 5 correct, yeah!)
2. Analysis - 60 min for on-line game studentofchess-hutter

Sunday, 8/22
Today I plan to try and get in a game of G/60 on ICC.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:59 am
Rook

So I got in a training game this evening. Nothing special - no great moves or obvious gaffes I don't believe. I haven't had a chance to go over it yet other than to note my thoughts during the game. For anyone that is following along and is interested - either in the game or my thinking during the game - I am posting for your review. I am of course open to anyone's thoughts.....

Comments:

1.c4 e5 2.g3 Nf6 3.Bg2 g6 4.Nc3 Bg7 5.e4 O-O 6.Nge2 d6 7.O-O c6 {
Ironic that I just looked at a similar line following a blitz game a
few days ago that can in some cases transpose into this line. All I
recall from that is a game from my MDB where White played 8.b3 in
preparation for ...Be6 in order to continue w/ d2-d4. Of course, in
this variation Black is looking to challenge White's center w/ d6-d5,
so this seems like a reasonable way to continue.} 8.b3 Be6 9.d4 Qc8 {
Coordinating the Q+B is logical enough, but the Q seems misplaced on
c8.} 10.d5 {My thinking here was to gain space, shut in the g7 B, and
hopefully gain a tempo or two attacking the Q, in order to get a
slight edge in development and create some initiative on the Q-side.}
10...cxd5 11.Nxd5 Nxd5 12.cxd5 Bd7 {I was expecting ...Bh3 here, why
did Black play to d7 - it seems counterproductive to the whole Qc8
idea.} 13.Ba3 Qc7 14.Rc1 Qb6 15.Qd2 {Necessary to prevent ...Bh6}
15...Bb5 16.Rfe1 {I wanted to play the R to d1, but then ...Bh6
follows, getting rid of the passive B.} 16...Bxe2 {But this surprised
me, why give up the B so easily?} 17.Rxe2 Na6 18.Qc3 {With the idea
of recycling the a3 Bishop and vying for control of the c file.}
18...Bh6 19.Rcc2 Rfd8 20.Bc1 Bxc1 21.Rxc1 Rd7 22.Bh3 {On 22.Rec2
Black plays Nb4} 22...Rc7 {Black took some time here and I had a
chance to contemplate where the Q should go - b2, d2, or even e1. I
thought b2 was best in order to keep the 2nd rank clear for Rec2 as
well as protecting the b3 pawn in order to play a2-a3 followed by
b3-b4. But if 23.Qb2 Nb4 23.a3? Black has Nd3, so White would need to
play 23.Rxc7 first and after ...Qxc7 24.a3 Nd3 25.Qc2 Qxc2 26.Rxc2
Nc5 forks the e4 and b3 pawn. White doesn't have to play a3, but then
he can't grab the c-file. So I finally decided on d2 (I considered
e1, but this lets the Black Q come to d4) in order to keep the N off
b4. Of course, if Black plays ...Rxc1, none of this will matter;
which I started to think might be Blacks best, followed by Nc7-b5-d4
which must lead to a dead even game. And if after ...Nc7 White plays
a2-a4, then Black has a7-a5, followed by Na6-c5.} 23.Qd2 Rxc1+ 24.
Qxc1 Kg7 25.Qe3 {White controls the c file, but has no entry points.
So I started looking for ways to create a second weakness. 25.Qc3
seemed like a candidate to do that, trying to utilize the pin on the
long diagonal for an eventual f2-f4. But Black can just play f7-f6 -
the B wouldn't be secure going to e6 due to Nc5/Nc7 and I don't see
how White can make headway on the f-file after f4xe5. I also looked
at 25.Qc4, with the idea of a2-a3, b3-b4, and Rc2....but again, the N
can maneouvere to d4 via c7. I finally decided on the game
continuation with the idea of playing for an eventual f4 and perhaps
being able to generate a K-side initiative, and if Black exchanges Qs
then I thought the endgame would be slightly better for White w/ few
losing chances. I was down to just under 10 min after this move, so
heading for an ending wouldn't be such a bad thing...} 25...Qxe3 26.
Rxe3 Re8 27.Rc3 {Grabbing the file and preventing Nc7.} 27...Nc5 28.
f3 Re7 {Now I realized Black was going to be able to neutralize my
control of the c-file...} 29.Kf2 {What else?} 29...Rc7 30.Ke3 Kf8 31.
Kd2 Na6 32.Bf1 Rxc3 33.Kxc3 Nc7 34.Kb4 {Played not to infiltrate
(obviously) but to free the B from keeping the N off the b5 square.}
34...Ke7 35.h4 {I had 6.5 minutes after this move compared to his
12.5. Here I was looking to put my pawns on dark squares and fix his
on light squares.} 35...f5 36.Bh3 fxe4 37.fxe4 Na6+ 38.Kc4 Nc5 39.Bg2
Nd7 40.b4 Kd8 41.a4 Kc7 42.Bf3 h6 43.a5 Nf6 44.Kd3 h5 45.Bd1 b6 46.
Ba4 bxa5 47.bxa5 Kb7 48.Bb5 Kc7 49.Ke3 Kb7 50.Kf3 Kc7 51.Bf1 Kd8 {Of
course, there is no real threat to break through on the K-side, but
being low on time it's understandable that he would return his K to
the K-side. But in so doing this frees my B up from keeping his K out
on the Q-side.} 52.Bh3 Ke7 53.Be6 Kf8 54.Ke3 Ke7 55.Kd3 Kd8 {A
blunder due to time pressure I am sure.} 56.Bf7 1-0

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:01 pm
King

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
54...Ne8 looks better imo. good game :)

Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:43 am