View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
BKildahl - 15 min Pirc v Robofriven! [26:24] 
Video Manager

Post BKildahl - 15 min Pirc v Robofriven! [26:24]
Poster: BKildahl
Rating Class: National Master | Videos Made: 63
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 2.50 (2)

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Ruy Perez

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:26 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
First of all: Good call, it is Rob of Riven (short for Robert of Rivenoak my SCA name, though I do like Riven the game, but I never beat it either, only Myst game I can say that about) Secondly: Good game, a lot of fun and I look forward to playing you every chance I get. Thirdly: You give me far too much credit. I had no idea what I was doing for about half of that game. :-) As I said I'd never played against a pirc before. But here are some of the things I learned about it.

1)Don't take f6 with the bishop, while the center becomes weak, your king is more safe than anything. I think the only way to win in that position is to kick your opponent really hard in the shins under the table and while he's writhing in pain hope he knocks his king over. And while that may not always work, at least you know that his shin hurts more than you pride. :P

2)h4 was a mistake. I had the right idea, but I didn't see the bishop move. After your bishop went to g4 I had something I had to worry about rather than just attacking the way I wanted to. Much better in that position is h3 stopping the bishop move and then proceeding with the pawn attack I was trying to get rolling. (I was planning on castling a couple moves later after I gained some ground on the kingside.

I'll post the rest of my thoughts (not quite move by move, but a lot more descriptive, in a few minutes.

Edit: I do not mind the name Robo-Friven either (so I guess either is correct) cause I've been called it so much that I kind of like it now and it brings to mind a really cold robot for some reason. (But I'm odd.)

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 am
Rook

I liked how you explained ideas in the opening, I learned a lot of things I didn't know about Pirc. Good game!

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:38 am
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Here is my detailed (sort of) report of what I was thinking and where I think I should have done things differently.

4. Bg5 I think this move was a mistake. I knew it was going to make his fianchetto'd bishop stronger, but I was hoping to eventually play e5 and make that bishop almost useless. I think if I had to play it again (I still haven't looked up the opening or anything, as I'm not worried about researching openings much right now) I would have played f4 looking to play e5.

6. Bd3 Yes, I played this move thinking that you were going to try and play f5 sometime very soon trying to use your doubled pawn to break back into the center from the wing.

7. Nf3 I played this move not only to develop but to make sure that if f5 was played then I would have a defender of the d pawn. Looking at what I wanted now and the way things turned out, I think this could have been accomplished better with Be2. Making better use for the pawn attack I wanted to use (as it was the only way I could conceive of breaking open your king for an attack.) and I had already decided I wanted to castle queenside here.

8. h4 This, I believe, was my fundamental mistake that drew the whole game down with it. The bishop on g3 was SUCH a pain in my ass the rest of the game that it turned into pretty much the only thing I thought about and became an obsession with me to get rid of it. Much better would have been h3 preventing this, preparing for g4 to start my pawn attack and then to castle queenside.

9. Qd2 I left that knight only defended by the pawn for a very good reason. I wanted you to take it. I wanted the bishop gone and then I was going to use the doubled f pawns to push up the board and attack your position. I also really really wanted that bishop gone. :)

10. d5 I really really really didn't want to make this move. It was against everything I wanted to do to your dark square bishop, but there was no other alternative I could find that wouldn't lose material. I was glad however to see you not play Nb4 as that would have kept me from castling until I could get it to move. And while there was a discovered attack on the knight from the queen, my knight had nowhere useful to go to make that worth while.

14. Rhe1 This move was a bad one. I knew it left the pawn undefended but I thought it was the only way I could move the knight to d4 and leave everything protected. I didn't notice two things in this position 1) The bishop would have been protected by the queen and the knight (didn't notice the knight for some reason until watching the video) and 2) I couldn't have moved the knight to d4 anyway seeing as how you had the bishop at it which I had overlooked when planning this.

16. Rxe8 Yes, it won the e file temporarily and removed a little pressure from you, thing is, I had no plan. I was starting to run low on time and picked this idea not because it was the best, just the best I could think of and still not a very good one. I had no idea what to do at this point, and still don't looking at the position now. From here on out I have no idea what the hell to do.

21. g5, you're right, this was a bad move, but like I said I had no ideas. So I pushed the pawn and hoped that I'd be struck with inspiration. I looked for some sort of activity surrendering the pawn at this point, but could find no chinks in your armor. I had contemplated playing the rook sac Rxh5 then recapture with the queen and see if I couldn't gain some sort of play in your weakened position. (I had contemplated this many many times throughout the game, but didn't want to lose the rook for something that wasn't thought out in the least.) And looking back I wish I'd played it sometime along the way to see if maybe it couldn't have stirred up something interesting.

22. Ne2 Again, had no ideas and little time left. I hurried this move and didn't see that the knight was busy guarding the bishop.

24. Qxd4 I realized I had no winning chances at this game and took your knight out of spite before resigning.

Sorry this got so long, there were a lot of ideas to put down. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I could have done better I'd love to hear them.

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:49 am
Rook

One word. Wow! now that's called dedication. Robofriven do you have the appropriate items to make videos? Also, would you like to play sometime?

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

I don't have a mic, so I could make a soundless video, which would be really really boring. Mostly I just go through after a game is done and write down what was happening in the comments section and then save the game according to what opening it was (or some other way depending on what I may want to do with it later.)

I'm always up for a game if I"m on FICS send me a message.

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:28 pm
Rook

I sent a message and I don't think I want to make a video but we can just play... I'm too tired for a video

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1500
Post Re: BKildahl - 15 min Pirc v Robofriven! [26:24]
Who wants to watch games not by masters or a masters commentary? I like the way this site is organized and structured, but to much novice and intermediate commentary.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]