View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
katar - SCID Workshop 2 [30:17] 
Video Manager

Post katar - SCID Workshop 2 [30:17]
Poster: katar
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200) | Videos Made: 83
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.60 (15)

Video Tags: scid

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Fox, cheststud, Slicri, Swifty357

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:49 pm
Rook

Rating: 2075
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: katar - SCID Workshop 2 [30:17]
katar, thanks much for the follow up on SCID. I especially liked the tip about locking the tree when you switch databases as I have been building my own Master Database (i.e. Millbase, reference database) separate from my games database, similar to what you appear to have done.

I see what you are saying about not needing all the separate databases for various openings. This could make file maintenance much simpler. I could still see the value, however, in having a handful of games in separate databases in order to consolidate notes, annotations, merged games, etc. into one single place....unless there is a better way to do this?

A couple questions I have as I continue to make this Chessbase to SCID transition:
1) How have you built your "Millbase" - is this just all the TWIC downloads, or did you start with a downloadable DB for the years prior to TWIC? This is one thing I haven't quite figured out yet; with Chessbase, I purchased CB Light when I got started (not as costly as the full CB software) which came w/ access to their on-line database. I could then search on specific variations and download the desired games into my Reference database. This allowed me to get all games on record w/n a certain variation. However, outside of that, I'm not sure how to load these games into SCID - I haven't found any free downloadable databases.
2) I haven't tried this yet - if I try to move my games from CB to SCID (i.e. I assume exporting to a pgn file and importing into SCID), will all my annotations transfer as well or will just the moves get transferred?
3) What are the chessboard and the colors for in the editor window? I assume this is for editing/annotating and highlighting pieces / squares just as people do in their videos on this website?

Thanks for the time you've put into these videos and helping SCID rookies like myself get up to speed.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:57 am
King

Rating: 1230
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
awesome video again. these videos are essential to watch if you use SCID. you should hook up with the programmer and add a video library to there program.

I liked the idea of making a DB of just my openings. It helps me to study my mistakes vs just what is perfect. I don't have any source materiel for the london other than a few you tube vids. I plan on making a london opening and then using the computer and MIL base to start to study it on my own. just for giggles. so you didn't waste your time at all. many thanks!

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:22 am
Knight

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Great video as always. This cleared a couple things up for me.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:52 pm
King

MOD pls move to "OTHER" forum.
ALso pls note that i recorded full screen in 800x600 screen resolution for speed reasons.

studentofchess wrote:
A couple questions I have as I continue to make this Chessbase to SCID transition:
1) How have you built your "Millbase" - is this just all the TWIC downloads, or did you start with a downloadable DB for the years prior to TWIC? This is one thing I haven't quite figured out yet; with Chessbase, I purchased CB Light when I got started (not as costly as the full CB software) which came w/ access to their on-line database. I could then search on specific variations and download the desired games into my Reference database. This allowed me to get all games on record w/n a certain variation. However, outside of that, I'm not sure how to load these games into SCID - I haven't found any free downloadable databases.
2) I haven't tried this yet - if I try to move my games from CB to SCID (i.e. I assume exporting to a pgn file and importing into SCID), will all my annotations transfer as well or will just the moves get transferred?
3) What are the chessboard and the colors for in the editor window? I assume this is for editing/annotating and highlighting pieces / squares just as people do in their videos on this website?

Thanks for the time you've put into these videos and helping SCID rookies like myself get up to speed.

#1 check the thread on SCID Workshop 1 where this question is covered in some detail.
#2 yes, everything should transfer including punctuation and annotations. you have to go into Chessbase and export to PGN. The Chessbase Light before 2007 *USED TO* have this function, but i noticed CB took away conversion to PGN from their free version (jerks). If all else fails email ur CB files to someone who bought CB and have them email u back the PGN.
#3 yes, it's for drawing arrows and stuff on the board. the diagram is ugly and gets in the way IMO, i wish the programmer would make an option to hide the board in the comment editor.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Rook

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
I'd like to know how you created that Tactics training database. I've heard it's really hard to do in SCID. I'd like to see that.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 pm
King

DorothyFan1 wrote:
I'd like to know how you created that Tactics training database. I've heard it's really hard to do in SCID. I'd like to see that.

i didn't make it. it's prepackaged with SCID. SCID RULZ!!@#

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Rook

katar wrote:
DorothyFan1 wrote:

i didn't make it. it's prepackaged with SCID. SCID RULZ!!@#

I didn't know this...but where can I find this prepackaged training database? I don't see it?

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:30 am
King

go to the "Play" menu, then "Training", then "Tactics". this is shown in the video too.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Rook

katar wrote:
go to the "Play" menu, then "Training", then "Tactics". this is shown in the video too.

The one feature I'd love to see in SCID is the ability to create chess puzzles from databases on the fly. Now this would be the ultimate feature for any chess program. You don't make the puzzles yourself otherwise you'd know the answer, right? This would be an awesome feature. I also would love it if they improved the browse game feature to let you go to a certain point in the game and click a button and the game *and* the last position is on the main board - saving you time to set up the position again. Or at least an EPD button so you can send it to the clipboard and save it in an EPD file.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:00 am
King

Excellent videos, katar. I never got into (my legal copy of) Fritz 9 and was only using it for opening PGN files - SCID, however, has definite chances of being my faithful companion in the future. The database stuff now seems indispensable. With Fritz I never even thought about the possibilities ..

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:41 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
DorothyFan1 wrote:
katar wrote:

The one feature I'd love to see in SCID is the ability to create chess puzzles from databases on the fly. Now this would be the ultimate feature for any chess program. You don't make the puzzles yourself otherwise you'd know the answer, right? This would be an awesome feature. I also would love it if they improved the browse game feature to let you go to a certain point in the game and click a button and the game *and* the last position is on the main board - saving you time to set up the position again. Or at least an EPD button so you can send it to the clipboard and save it in an EPD file.

Just load the game instead of browsing it. There is way to create tactics databases with your engine described in the helpfiles, but I've never tried it. Imo that is the really awesome part about the tactics feature if it works, because you could just make a training database from your own games.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:08 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Thanks for another great video Katar! Wow! You really showed Kramnik!!

Someone mentioned that you should contact SCID and I agree, I think it would be a great idea if you teamed up with Shane and Pascal to link your videos and maybe find out from them what areas they would like some videos made.

I appreciate your work on these. I have used SCID for many years and really like the Opening information that can be gleaned from this program. Still, there is something about Chessbase and Fritz that just seem to make it handle easier to use - that being said, SCID leaves the other programs sitting in the dust for functionality. Reading through the help files can be a daunting task, but it is well worth it in my opinion for anyone who wants to improve - just because it's free doesn't mean it is not as good as the top commercial programs.

Looking forward to any other tricks or tips you have with the program.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
King

someone asked about the tactics feature at the end.

i did not create or install that separately. if it's not available in your installation of scid then i dont know what to say. i suppose there's a chance it used to be free and included, and perhaps Pascal decided to remove it from the latest installation package. i really dont know...

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1700
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
katar wrote:
someone asked about the tactics feature at the end.

i did not create or install that separately. if it's not available in your installation of scid then i dont know what to say. i suppose there's a chance it used to be free and included, and perhaps Pascal decided to remove it from the latest installation package. i really dont know...

It is still there! Thanks Katar for the videos.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next