View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Andrewrun - Adjournments in a Computer Age [16:10] 
Video Manager

Post Andrewrun - Adjournments in a Computer Age [16:10]
Poster: Andrewrun
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200) | Videos Made: 54
Login or register to rate this video...
Not Rated Yet!

Video Tags: Adjournments Endgames Rook and pawn endgame

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:32 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: Andrewrun - Adjournments in a Computer Age [16:10]
Actually, I don't think that adjournments in the computer age are that silly at all. The story I heard was that Karpov was all pissed off about some nobody adjourning a game and using the computer (back in the day, not a good proposition!) and he was able to hold a draw - This seemed unfair to me as Karpov had seconds who would work all night while he rested to find the best lines, the computer merely leveled out the playing field. Secondly, a lot of adjournments nowadays are pretty evenly matched seeing as how most serious players will use computers, so, unless a person actually tells you what move they sealed I see no advantage for one side or the other. In your current adjournment your opponent told you his sealed move and you were able to prove a win (executing it is still another thing, let me know how it goes). OTH, what if he said "I can't tell you my sealed move until either we resume or agree to a draw" what then? You get to the board and find a move you didn't even consider.

I feel that the main reason we don't have many adjournments these days is for the benefit of the tournament organizers, they have less work to do if there are no adjournments, also, no specific time frame has to be cleared to resume adjourned games, a real headache.

There are also cases of strategy in adjourning a game, do it with few pieces on the board and a computer will likely find the end result, do so in the late middle game and things are not so clear.

Personally, I like adjournments. I have adjourned probably 20 games and have had great success with or without computer assistance. I see no appreciable difference though Rybka definitely makes things easier these days.

The last adjournment problem I saw was at a tournament in Tucson that was held during the monsoon season, when a car his a power pole and knocked out the electricity to the playing site! The organizers had to get flashlights and adjourn something like 35 or 40 games!

About half of the events I play in allow for adjournments but the percentage of adjourned games is quite low. It comes time to adjourn and the players think to themselves 'Is this worth trying to save?' and often they resign or offer a draw and go home. Yes, sometimes there is something to play for and that's when I think that adjournments are worthwhile. Say you are adjourning to stay in the lead spot, or get the lead spot, or to place in the money, then yes, adjourn the game.

I am sad to have seen the tradition of adjourning a game fall by the wayside at major events.

Good luck with your resumption.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Steve, great points! I love your outlook. I've always worked really hard on endgames, so I more see it as leveling the playing field when I might otherwise have an edge over my opponent. Part of the game is the endgame, so if I can win in an endgame, that seems fair to me - the same as getting a good position in an opening or outplaying someone in a middlegame.

sfarmer29 wrote:
In your current adjournment your opponent told you his sealed move and you were able to prove a win (executing it is still another thing, let me know how it goes). OTH, what if he said "I can't tell you my sealed move until either we resume or agree to a draw" what then? You get to the board and find a move you didn't even consider.

He actually offered me a draw and I said that I wouldn't take it without seeing the sealed move. It used to be customary to tell the sealed move along with a draw offer. I'd be foolish to take a draw when he could have played a losing move... Also, his draw offer is good until I make my move. So worst case, I get to the resumption, see his move, then take the draw. All I've lost is a few hours of my time.

Now just to win that game. I think we'll resume on Thursday, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Yes, let me know how things work out and good luck!

In the past when I offered a draw at adjournment I never mentioned my move as it is one of the few times that a chess player can play poker and try to call the opponent's bluff. I just like the dynamics that adjournments bring.

I haven't adjourned any games now that I have Rybka, but in the recent past (up to 2008) I always had the state of the art programs and, believe it or not, they often didn't find the best line of play. It would go something like this, my gut is telling me one thing and the computer another, I follow my 'gut line' on a few moves and sure enough the computer starts to reassess things. Sometimes I'd have to go several moves before the computer came around to my intuition. Then again, there are a few times where the programs saved my rear end! I am sure that my opponents at the time were equally equipped with software, but may not have followed through on the 'human' side of things.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
King

Rating Class: Grandmaster
computer assistance in any game is clear cheating

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:22 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

minkrat wrote:

When adjournments were the rule and not the exception, joint analysis with other players of the adjourned position was also considered illegal. This is probably why we no longer have adjourned games, if one has no friends and no computer software, and lack the drive to study the positions on their own, how are they to keep up with others.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
I actually miss adjournments. I loved them when I was a young player. You would be forced to analyze and you would learn so much about endings that way.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

minkrat wrote:

Yeah, I have to admit that when I first heard about adjournments, I was shocked and a bit appalled that computers and consultation was allowed. But it's the only way to level the playing field - otherwise, an unscrupulous player would get an edge over the honest player.

That said, I don't put much stock in computers during an adjournment. I do enjoy working out the position and finding the best line, but there are many endgames where an engine just won't understand.

The biggest reason I dislike adjournments is because I work hard to play endgames well. I feel like adjournments give my opponent a chance to catch up when he might otherwise just lose right away.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:00 am
King Goo

Rating: 2156
I don't like adjournments either - nowadays they're not part of human skill, just run Rybka or Firebird and you play perfectly/near perfectly.
I think telling the sealed move is a bad idea. I mean if he didn't tell you the sealed move, he could have made you suffer a lot more on trying to figure out what it was :P
I guess you won the game?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yes I won the game. It was some line where I brought my king to d1 and then won the ensuing rook vs. pawns endgame.

If he didn't offer the draw, we definitely had to meet up to finish the game. He was hoping I just accepted the draw and then he wouldn't have to play it out at all. When he left after the adjournment, he thought he was still playing for the win, so that was why he was comfortable offering a draw.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]