View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Video Credits FAQ 
Founder
Founder

Rating: 1300
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Post Video Credits FAQ
What are Video Credits?

For some types of videos on the site we are moving to a Pay Per View model. These types of videos will be purchased with Video Credits. When you open one of these types of videos, you will see a message indicating how many credits the video costs, along with a link to purchase the video. When you purchase the video, you will instantly be able to watch it as well as download it in iPod video format. You can read the Terms Of Service for more details.

How do I buy Video Credits?

In the header bar of the forum, you will see a count showing you how many credits you currently have. If you would like to purchase credits, click the link which will take you to the purchase page. On this page, you will see various pricing options, and all you have to do is pick whichever price option you would like and complete the purchase on the PayPal website. At this point you will be redirected back to the forum, and your # of available credits should update automatically. If your credits are not active on your account within 5 minutes of making the purchase, please email support at admin@chessvideos.tv.

Can I sell my videos for Video Credits?

Right now the Video Credits system is in beta, so it is currently invite-only. However, if you are interested in possibly selling your own videos, please email me at admin@chessvideos.tv.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:05 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: Video Credits FAQ
Which are the "some types of videos"?

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Founder
Founder

Right now it will be exclusively curtains' videos.

Also when you attempt to view a video that requires credits it will be clearly labeled, and then you can decide whether you would like to purchase it or not after opening the thread.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:49 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1580
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
What about all of his older stuff? Will it continue to be free?

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:26 am
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Sounds like bad news for the site to me. Things like this always seem to happen though.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Founder
Founder

Sarciness wrote:
Sounds like bad news for the site to me. Things like this always seem to happen though.

From my perspective, this is just another tool for ChessVideos.TV to use to encourage high quality content on our website. I think this particular method of payment also gives much more power to the consumer, to decide exactly how to spend their money to maximize their enjoyment/learning.

As far as curtains' goes, I have had a few conversations with him recently and essentially the future was either going to be no (or very infrequent) videos or paid videos. He has become incredibly busy and it is very difficult for him to carve out time to do videos. So now we were able to offer him this tool of offering pay-per-view videos, and he now has incentive to create videos, which consumers have the choice to purchase if they want. For paying customers, this means more high quality content to enjoy. For free members everything is pretty much the same, as the videos would never have been produced in the first place.

We work very hard to make sure the site is enjoyable for both free members and paid members, for example by offering all of our Training Videos for the Masters videos for free for a limited time. However, we also have a duty to our paying members to make sure we are providing them access to the best content.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:45 pm
Pawn

Yeah, I completely understand, such is the way, If you have paying members it seems logical that they are the first priority. It is simply that it is difficult for my feeble mind to adjust to having to pay for something that just a few days before I had gotten for free. On a similar note, I read that Curtains tourney coverage would remain free...Does that mean that his world championship coverage will as well? While I am currently poor, I can see myself in the future becoming a subscriber, not simply for curtains videos, but because I have really enjoyed all the content on the site and it seems like something worth supporting.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 pm
Founder
Founder

tygertyger wrote:
Yeah, I completely understand, such is the way, If you have paying members it seems logical that they are the first priority. It is simply that it is difficult for my feeble mind to adjust to having to pay for something that just a few days before I had gotten for free. On a similar note, I read that Curtains tourney coverage would remain free...Does that mean that his world championship coverage will as well? While I am currently poor, I can see myself in the future becoming a subscriber, not simply for curtains videos, but because I have really enjoyed all the content on the site and it seems like something worth supporting.

The WCC coverage was commissioned by ChessVideos.TV, so those videos are owned by us and we are choosing to keep them available to all users for free (we really try to keep available great content for free users!). All other videos posted under curtains' name are his own and it is up to him which ones will remain free. If you have comments about that, you should post them in his thread: viewtopic.php?t=7466

I am guessing if curtains does any future tournament coverage than they will be pay-per-view.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:33 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
admin wrote:
tygertyger wrote:

The WCC coverage was commissioned by ChessVideos.TV, so those videos are owned by us and we are choosing to keep them available to all users for free (we really try to keep available great content for free users!). All other videos posted under curtains' name are his own and it is up to him which ones will remain free. If you have comments about that, you should post them in his thread: viewtopic.php?t=7466

I am guessing if curtains does any future tournament coverage than they will be pay-per-view.

all past tourney coverage = free

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Sweet, thanks! And make no mistake, I LOVE the content of the website and I appreciate everything you (and Curtains and the rest) do!

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:38 pm
Knight

Rating: 2000
admin wrote:
What are Video Credits?

For some types of videos on the site we are moving to a Pay Per View model. These types of videos will be purchased with Video Credits. When you open one of these types of videos, you will see a message indicating how many credits the video costs, along with a link to purchase the video. When you purchase the video, you will instantly be able to watch it as well as download it in iPod video format. You can read the Terms Of Service for more details.

In the header bar of the forum, you will see a count showing you how many credits you currently have. If you would like to purchase credits, click the link which will take you to the purchase page. On this page, you will see various pricing options, and all you have to do is pick whichever price option you would like and complete the purchase on the PayPal website. At this point you will be redirected back to the forum, and your # of available credits should update automatically. If your credits are not active on your account within 5 minutes of making the purchase, please email support at admin@chessvideos.tv.

Right now the Video Credits system is in beta, so it is currently invite-only. However, if you are interested in possibly selling your own videos, please email me at admin@chessvideos.tv.

For me a problem remains: I bought credits for purchasing curtains' videos, and I like to watch them on the subway on the way home. No problem, I can download them in the appropriate format. However, if free content is posted by curtains (like vid L550), I can not download them in this format since I do not have premium membership. This really sucks. When I buy $50 bucks worth of credits, I should automatically get Premium Membership or something of the sort.

What is your take on this?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:49 am
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Rating: 1802
HonkHonkImADonk wrote:
admin wrote:
What are Video Credits?

For me a problem remains: I bought credits for purchasing curtains' videos, and I like to watch them on the subway on the way home. No problem, I can download them in the appropriate format. However, if free content is posted by curtains (like vid L550), I can not download them in this format since I do not have premium membership. This really sucks. When I buy $50 bucks worth of credits, I should automatically get Premium Membership or something of the sort.

What you've got to see is, as far as I can tell (feel free to correct me, Josh, admin, or Greg), the money for prescriptions goes towards site maintenance/upkeep/continuing to get quality content, whereas "credits" go solely/mostly to Greg. Dropping in primo membership for a certain amount of purchased credits keeps that money from the site, and giving a certain amount of free credits for a membership would undercut Greg. Not that I wouldn't jump on that opportunity, should it arise for members.. :idea:

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:48 pm
Founder
Founder

Malfurion wrote:
HonkHonkImADonk wrote:
admin wrote:
What are Video Credits?

What you've got to see is, as far as I can tell (feel free to correct me, Josh, admin, or Greg), the money for prescriptions goes towards site maintenance/upkeep/continuing to get quality content, whereas "credits" go solely/mostly to Greg. Dropping in primo membership for a certain amount of purchased credits keeps that money from the site, and giving a certain amount of free credits for a membership would undercut Greg. Not that I wouldn't jump on that opportunity, should it arise for members.. :idea:

This is correct. The majority of the money from redeemed video credits goes to the video producer, with ChessVideos.TV taking a small percentage for running the service. As of right now, we have no plans to combine video credits and premium membership, as they are pretty exclusive in their offerings.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:44 pm
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Regarding downloading and premium members vs. credit users, admin has the explanation. The only thing I'd add is that this is still in the very very early stages, so we're still ironing things out and figuring out how we want the two services to co-exist.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:07 am
Profile ICQ
King Goo

Rating: 2156
For me I don't really like it but at least the old videos are free, paying online is such a pain :(

Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next