View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
curtains chess videos 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
Post curtains chess videos
Hello everyone, and thanks for following my video series! As you all know, we are going to be moving to a pay-per-view format for my future videos. As this is just starting out, we are not exactly sure what people are going to want, in terms of volume. I will layout my initial plan below:

The plan is to have one video per day every month. The videos will be one 5 minute game each. This does not discount the possibility of other types of videos, however these will be bonuses, and there will still be one 5 minute video posted per day. It is possible and even likely that these videos may have been played previous to the day they are being posted. We are using this format since I will be traveling a lot, and it’ll be nice to have regular content updates even if I don’t have access to the site for a month or two.

Also note that to ensure that there is content up at the start of this new plan, we will begin by uploading 10 videos right away, and thereafter you should expect one new video per day.

The pricing will work as follows for the regular 5 minute videos:

1. Any video against a non GM/IM/WGM, who is rated under 2400 in the 5-minute pool, will cost 1 credit.
2. Any video against an IM/WGM or someone ranked above 2400 in the 5-minute pool, will cost 2 credits.
3. Any video against a GM or someone ranked above 2500 in the 5-minute pool, will cost 3 credits.
4. Any video against someone ranked above 2600 in the 5-minute pool will cost 4 credits.
5. Every 10th video will be free for everyone (ie video 560, 570, 600 etc).

To those who have difficulties with the cost of buying every video, you can choose to focus on the 1 credit videos against the weaker opposition, in order to have a more affordable viewing experience. Also I'll probably win those games more often :)

The result of the game, length of the game and the number of horrible moves I make in a particular game will not affect the price. Understand that some videos might be 10 minutes long, and some might be 30 minutes long. You can see the length of time for each video before purchasing, so if the length is important to you, you can choose to skip the shorter ones.

Please note that we are going to charge for old videos too, although that won't be set up for a few days. (although quite a few of the most popular ones will be kept free, and any posters who have contributed at least 10 comments in those old videos, will also get permanent free access to them.)

Please expect these new videos to in theory be exactly the same as the old videos. The only difference is that you should expect that in 100% of these games I will be taking the game very seriously, and doing everything possible to win. I will never play when I'm not in the mood, and will always be playing at full strength, with 100% motivation. Also I will answer any and all questions about the games that are posted in the threads.

We will take requests for all other types of videos, but the standard 5 minute videos that worked so well for over 539 videos thus far, is going to be the staple of which you can expect a daily fix. Thanks for all of your support, and I hope you will enjoy the new regular content! Time to crush everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

EDITED: 9/22/2010

* - Note that before Video 556 it was difficult/impossible to see the text when using ChessBase/Rybka. That should be fixed in all videos after L555.

Last edited by curtains on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:28 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: curtains chess videos
I'm happy that you are going to be contributing again and I don't mind paying- thanks!

However, I don't understand why the rating of your opponent changes the amount of credits- to us lower rated players (or at least me- I can't speak for anyone else), it doesn't make much difference if you beat a GM or an expert. It's your rating that's critical :D

I am also bummed that you will be charging for old videos - that doesn't seem somehow fair- though as the content producer, I can certainly understand your right to do so.

Anyway- glad to have you back.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Damn do you really rewatch the old videos? Honestly the reason for that is so that if there is ever a new customer to the site, they might spend money to watch a video before watching 600+ free ones first :) I intend to keep the most famous ones free, but if we are going to go to a model like this, and have any realistic chance of making enough money for it to be worth the time, it's probably not good to offer 550 free videos to anyone before they feel like they have to pay anything :)

In terms of the prices, it was either 2 credits for all videos, or this system. This system is definitely cheaper (I think right now its averaging about 1.3-1.4 credits per video, I expect it will rise a little bit but I don't think there's any possibility it will get above 2), and I do think it makes sense that MOST people would be more interested to buy games against stronger players.

I'm happy to be back, I'm enjoying the games so far! Thanks for the kind words

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

[quote="curtains, it's probably not good to offer 550 free videos to anyone before they feel like they have to pay anything :)

....and I do think it makes sense that MOST people would be more interested to buy games against stronger players.

[/quote]

I guess I do understand the necessity of this. I guess we will look back fondly on the what will become known as the Free Curtains Era or something.

I hope the financial incentive also proves to be a chess incentive. It's difficult for me to understand, though you've actually explained it before at least once, why, as good as you are, you don't just go ahead and make the push to go for the GM thing. Having relative financial security as you appear to have, means it's possible that you can play in these norm-rich European tournaments. I would think that the title would make things you are doing a bit easier, like raising interest and money for your educational pursuits on behalf young talented players. Plus, wouldn't "GM" look good next to your name? You're only young once. OK, sorry- you must get sick of people offering unsolicited advice. Good luck in whatever you do, title or not. :D

Up with the new Curtains era!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
I think a more profitable alternative to the current payment system might be charging by the type of tirade included in the video instead of the opponent. A rough template could be:
*Normal game, greg wins, no tirade before, during or after the game - 1 credit.
*Normal game, but Greg pontificates a little about a random viewpoint before the game (like Netflix, basketball strategy, poker, etc) - 2 credits
*Opponent blunders early, Greg laughs and taunts throughout the video until a win - 3 credits
*Greg gains favorable position, but due to lack of concentration/time pressure, loses..kittehs may make a cameo for distractions. Greg mildly rages afterwards about how he should've won. - 4 credits
and saving the best for last..
*Greg blunders early, rage resigns. Rematches..then goes on a few game losing streak encompassing the tragedy and comedy that is human life in the microcosm of a chess video. Moods range from anger, to depression, to desperate fury, then to solemn resignation as he curses the gods and vows to gouge out his eyes with his own bishops if he ever loses to a certain opponent again. - 5 glorious credits

I'm also for hire as a business manager if anyone needs any other incredible money-making ideas.

All in all, I fear that it's another step closer to this being a full-on pay site, and I can't help but feel a little spoiled from all the wonderful material we've gotten from you (and others) for free up until this point. But if paying a little every so often is what it takes to keep getting curtains videos, it'd be well worth it to me. Thanks for making your triumphant return to videos...

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:56 pm
Knight

Rating: 2000
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Malfurion wrote:
I think a more profitable alternative to the current payment system might be charging by the type of tirade included in the video instead of the opponent. A rough template could be:
*Normal game, greg wins, no tirade before, during or after the game - 1 credit.
*Normal game, but Greg pontificates a little about a random viewpoint before the game (like Netflix, basketball strategy, poker, etc) - 2 credits
*Opponent blunders early, Greg laughs and taunts throughout the video until a win - 3 credits
*Greg gains favorable position, but due to lack of concentration/time pressure, loses..kittehs may make a cameo for distractions. Greg mildly rages afterwards about how he should've won. - 4 credits
and saving the best for last..
*Greg blunders early, rage resigns. Rematches..then goes on a few game losing streak encompassing the tragedy and comedy that is human life in the microcosm of a chess video. Moods range from anger, to depression, to desperate fury, then to solemn resignation as he curses the gods and vows to gouge out his eyes with his own bishops if he ever loses to a certain opponent again. - 5 glorious credits

I'm also for hire as a business manager if anyone needs any other incredible money-making ideas.

All in all, I fear that it's another step closer to this being a full-on pay site, and I can't help but feel a little spoiled from all the wonderful material we've gotten from you (and others) for free up until this point. But if paying a little every so often is what it takes to keep getting curtains videos, it'd be well worth it to me. Thanks for making your triumphant return to videos...

spot-on analysis :lol:

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:47 am
Rook

You have plenty of loyal fans (and will make more) let the old ones stay free if you can afford to. For love of the game!

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:46 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

BTW, forgot to mention- Yes! I really do rewatch the old videos- usually one a day. I won't be able to afford to do that any longer- gotta save the bucks for the new ones.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Do note that about approximately 30-40 of the old ones will still be free. Any that had over 20 comments before today, I'll leave free, along with all the milestone numbers (video 1, 50, 100, 150, 200 etc).

Also I'd appreciate the community's help. Are there any videos that don't work (ie the sound was broken) and for whatever reason I didn't remove from the site? Or were there any where my opponent simply disconnected in a completely normal position early in the game?

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 am
Profile ICQ
Rook

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
"Greg blunders early, rage resigns. Rematches..then goes on a few game losing streak encompassing the tragedy and comedy that is human life in the microcosm of a chess video. Moods range from anger, to depression, to desperate fury, then to solemn resignation as he curses the gods and vows to gouge out his eyes with his own bishops if he ever loses to a certain opponent again. - 5 glorious credits"

I'll call your five and raise you 10!

Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:29 pm
King

Rating: 1230
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
maybe you live games against an inferior would be painful to watch. however a strong player crushing dumb openings with a full explanation of the objectives(vs variations)would be very worthwhile.

often times, I don't know how to punish a bad opening and wasting initiative and wind up dragging out game.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:51 pm
King

Rating: 2202
Rating Class: National Master
I can't resist. I'm going to say things with no holding back.

This idea is absolute ludacris.
1. paying system is ridiculous. Average of 1.5 credits per video = $11/month. As a reference: chesslecture.com offers one year memberships for $8,50 per month.
- Curtains videos are 20 mins at most. Chesslecture has no videos below 20 mins.
- Curtains videos have almost no chess content. He'll sit and play a game; No post-game analysis; Except maybe some vague 'ideas' from during the game; and most of the time just a lot of rambling.
- Curtains does nothing to prepare for his videos. It's completely no sweat for him, apart from sacrificing like 20 mins of his time. It's just playing a blitzgame on the internet...
- you're not even paying just to see his games. All games are accessable on ICC.
- ONLY value from his videos is just having a laugh and a good time watching him playing chess.
How can this format of these points EVER warrant Curtains getting more than a team of GMs over on chesslecture.com put together, who get out a video per day, a LECTURE a day, full to the brim with chess content, which was well thought out and prepared??

2. - he consented...
- ... to make more than 500 videos, because he ALSO was having FUN...
- ... not only in making the videos, but especially in the FANS he got because of these vids.
-----> Curtains is not just making these videos for our amusement, HE'S ALSO doing it for his own! So there's not a single reason why he should get such an extravagant amount of money, or indeed, money at all!

3. It's the death of this website.
Basically: why would a strong player stop at this website EVER again, now that all relevant - i.e. for a stronger player - videos are pay per view? Especially since there are so many other websites with much better quality? The strong players that are here because of the bond that was created long before will leave in time. There will be no replacement. There will not be strong players to help weaker players in general discussion. There will not be stronger players to comment on A-level videos. And it will just cascade further downwards. It's now or never: choose what you want to have, Admin: either a site based on free exchange of videos between people (so unique that it brought us here) or a complete paid for chess website (but then you need to drastically improve the quality).

By asking for money, Curtains is basically saying: "Hey, if you want to continue to worship me, pay me." And that's even while he's making a gazillion with poker. Completely immoral, only focussed on $$$.

My Fi is taking over, I can't produce any logical statements whatsoever anymore.

Can't believe I gave Curtains rant-material. I charge you $20 for using it though. If you get paid for having fun, why can't I? I won't watch your videos, you can defend/debate in this thread.

Dutch elo: 2202
FIDE: 2233

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:11 pm
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
RAU: I'm sorry you feel this way. You've been a great part of the site and I'd be really sad to see you go. As far as charging for curtains videos, some people are going to come down differently on the value question. If the difference is pay per view curtains videos and no curtains videos, I think it's better to have them available.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:07 pm
Profile ICQ
Live Commentary Messiah

Rating: 2203
[Deleted in belated self-moderation.] :oops:

Last edited by BKildahl on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:07 pm
Live Commentary Messiah

Rating: 2203
And 'ludacris' is a rapper. =P

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next