View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
curtains chess videos 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: curtains chess videos
Gotta agree with the others- even your "worst" videos have something positive to offer.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Knight

Im not sure where to post this so i guess ill just put it here...

for those of you who still want live commentaries from a strong player without having to pay for it i recommend you look up Kingscrusher on youtube, hes also got a great series on the development of chess style.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:26 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 1640
I have to confess with the loss of much of Dennis and Master level videos to the Premium Subscription, this seems like another nail in the coffin of video content -

I mean, let's face it - no one comes to the site to see MY videos :mrgreen:

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Hey- I watch your videos!

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Me too!

I'd just like to say that I love this site and wish it and all contributors the very best.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:02 pm
Founder
Founder

Rating: 1300
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Alright, the day has come. All of curtains older videos are now in the PPV realm.

However, as mentioned earlier in the thread, anybody who had commented at least 10 times over the hundreds of past videos get grandfathered in and maintains standard access. You can find the full list of usernames earlier in this thread.

Also, the search results now show if a video is PPV or not, so if you are browsing around and want to avoid PPV videos, you now can do that pretty easily from the video search.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:36 pm
King

Rating: 1640
ah, I should have commented more

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1900
youtube.com

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:31 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

devoid wrote:
youtube.com

:?:

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Knight

maybe he wants to see some of Greg's videos on youtube, or implying he came from http://www.youtube.com/user/chessvideos, from watching the Anand Topalov games that are available there as well now..

lol idk.. random..

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:07 am
Knight

RAU4ever wrote:
I can't resist. I'm going to say things with no holding back.

This idea is absolute ludacris.
1. paying system is ridiculous. Average of 1.5 credits per video = $11/month. As a reference: chesslecture.com offers one year memberships for $8,50 per month.
- Curtains videos are 20 mins at most. Chesslecture has no videos below 20 mins.
- Curtains videos have almost no chess content. He'll sit and play a game; No post-game analysis; Except maybe some vague 'ideas' from during the game; and most of the time just a lot of rambling.
- Curtains does nothing to prepare for his videos. It's completely no sweat for him, apart from sacrificing like 20 mins of his time. It's just playing a blitzgame on the internet...
- you're not even paying just to see his games. All games are accessable on ICC.
- ONLY value from his videos is just having a laugh and a good time watching him playing chess.
How can this format of these points EVER warrant Curtains getting more than a team of GMs over on chesslecture.com put together, who get out a video per day, a LECTURE a day, full to the brim with chess content, which was well thought out and prepared??

2. - he consented...
- ... to make more than 500 videos, because he ALSO was having FUN...
- ... not only in making the videos, but especially in the FANS he got because of these vids.
-----> Curtains is not just making these videos for our amusement, HE'S ALSO doing it for his own! So there's not a single reason why he should get such an extravagant amount of money, or indeed, money at all!

3. It's the death of this website.
Basically: why would a strong player stop at this website EVER again, now that all relevant - i.e. for a stronger player - videos are pay per view? Especially since there are so many other websites with much better quality? The strong players that are here because of the bond that was created long before will leave in time. There will be no replacement. There will not be strong players to help weaker players in general discussion. There will not be stronger players to comment on A-level videos. And it will just cascade further downwards. It's now or never: choose what you want to have, Admin: either a site based on free exchange of videos between people (so unique that it brought us here) or a complete paid for chess website (but then you need to drastically improve the quality).

By asking for money, Curtains is basically saying: "Hey, if you want to continue to worship me, pay me." And that's even while he's making a gazillion with poker. Completely immoral, only focussed on $$$.

My Fi is taking over, I can't produce any logical statements whatsoever anymore.

Can't believe I gave Curtains rant-material. I charge you $20 for using it though. If you get paid for having fun, why can't I? I won't watch your videos, you can defend/debate in this thread.

Ditto, I'm a titled player and found the vids funny and could identify with the emotional roller coaster that is blitz.

No offense to Greg, but I certainly wouldn't pay for something like this and to suggest that chessplayers do is to thumb your nose at them. You are not Justin Beiber and we are not groupies LOL.

If you require remuneration to watch your vids from beginner level to intermediate and amateur/club players and the like, the majority of which make up this site, then u need to beef up the vids with some kind of worthwhile instructional content, like what Monokroususs and some of the others try to do. For instance after you play a blitz game you should supplement the vid by dissecting the opening line carefully and in a succinct and systematic way, discussing the relevant theory along the way as well as the typical plans to adopt and pitfalls to avoid etc.

Perhaps my expectations are too high, but to be a paying customer I would demand some value for money. Trash talkin during and after blitz games I can get down at the local club fer free.

On another matter I noticed an ad on the home page for a 'free' trial to view restricted content on this site, sounds good, except that it is not free at all, as I found out to my cost some time ago. Could someone explain exactly how this misleading 'free' trial thingy is supposed to work?

Last edited by Toppy on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:38 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
Hello Toppy, thanks for your thoughts, although note that the videos do have a significant amount of viewers, so your thoughts are not entirely shared by everyone. In any case, please note that every 10th game of mine is totally free, so you are welcome and encouraged to at least watch them every 10 days!

Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:10 pm
Profile ICQ
Knight

Soundz good to me, I kin live wid dat. Now if someone could only explain that free trial business.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Profile ICQ
Founder
Founder

Rating: 1300
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Toppy wrote:
RAU4ever wrote:
I can't resist. I'm going to say things with no holding back.

This idea is absolute ludacris.
1. paying system is ridiculous. Average of 1.5 credits per video = $11/month. As a reference: chesslecture.com offers one year memberships for $8,50 per month.
- Curtains videos are 20 mins at most. Chesslecture has no videos below 20 mins.
- Curtains videos have almost no chess content. He'll sit and play a game; No post-game analysis; Except maybe some vague 'ideas' from during the game; and most of the time just a lot of rambling.
- Curtains does nothing to prepare for his videos. It's completely no sweat for him, apart from sacrificing like 20 mins of his time. It's just playing a blitzgame on the internet...
- you're not even paying just to see his games. All games are accessable on ICC.
- ONLY value from his videos is just having a laugh and a good time watching him playing chess.
How can this format of these points EVER warrant Curtains getting more than a team of GMs over on chesslecture.com put together, who get out a video per day, a LECTURE a day, full to the brim with chess content, which was well thought out and prepared??

2. - he consented...
- ... to make more than 500 videos, because he ALSO was having FUN...
- ... not only in making the videos, but especially in the FANS he got because of these vids.
-----> Curtains is not just making these videos for our amusement, HE'S ALSO doing it for his own! So there's not a single reason why he should get such an extravagant amount of money, or indeed, money at all!

3. It's the death of this website.
Basically: why would a strong player stop at this website EVER again, now that all relevant - i.e. for a stronger player - videos are pay per view? Especially since there are so many other websites with much better quality? The strong players that are here because of the bond that was created long before will leave in time. There will be no replacement. There will not be strong players to help weaker players in general discussion. There will not be stronger players to comment on A-level videos. And it will just cascade further downwards. It's now or never: choose what you want to have, Admin: either a site based on free exchange of videos between people (so unique that it brought us here) or a complete paid for chess website (but then you need to drastically improve the quality).

By asking for money, Curtains is basically saying: "Hey, if you want to continue to worship me, pay me." And that's even while he's making a gazillion with poker. Completely immoral, only focussed on $$$.

My Fi is taking over, I can't produce any logical statements whatsoever anymore.

Can't believe I gave Curtains rant-material. I charge you $20 for using it though. If you get paid for having fun, why can't I? I won't watch your videos, you can defend/debate in this thread.

Ditto, I'm a titled player and found the vids funny and could identify with the emotional roller coaster that is blitz.

No offense to Greg, but I certainly wouldn't pay for something like this and to suggest that chessplayers do is to thumb your nose at them. You are not Justin Beiber and we are not groupies LOL.

If you require remuneration to watch your vids from beginner level to intermediate and amateur/club players and the like, the majority of which make up this site, then u need to beef up the vids with some kind of worthwhile instructional content, like what Monokroususs and some of the others try to do. For instance after you play a blitz game you should supplement the vid by dissecting the opening line carefully and in a succinct and systematic way, discussing the relevant theory along the way as well as the typical plans to adopt and pitfalls to avoid etc.

Perhaps my expectations are too high, but to be a paying customer I would demand some value for money. Trash talkin during and after blitz games I can get down at the local club fer free.

On another matter I noticed an ad on the home page for a 'free' trial to view restricted content on this site, sounds good, except that it is not free at all, as I found out to my cost some time ago. Could someone explain exactly how this misleading 'free' trial thingy is supposed to work?

I hate deceptive marketing and have worked hard to ensure the terms of our website are clear for both our premium membership and PPV program. If any part of either program was confusing please let me know how and why so I can fix it. As for whether it is worth the money or not, that is entirely up to you. Nobody on this website is forcing you to buy anything. We do something no other chess website does, in that we offer every since premium video for free as long as you watch it within the first 2 weeks after it was produced. No other chess website does this.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Knight

@ Admin

I appreciate the response, to clarify further, sometime ago I clicked on the free trial offer on your homepage in order to sample some of the quality of the premium content on hand. I found it strange that you still needed to provide credit card info for a free trial but I did anyway and was subsequently charged for the few vids I sampled. Needlesss to say I was not pleased and did not return to the site for some time.

Looking at the home page now, I see there is no longer a free trial offer, so maybe the point is moot. Now what I see is a system of credits which I don't think is such a bad idea provided the content is decent quality.

Contrary to what a few have expressed in this thread, I suspect the primary objective of most viewers when viewing a paid vid on chess is the educational content and entertainment is a secondary concern if at all. Of course, if its a free vid it hardly matters greatly to the viewer or uploader whether the content is more entertaining or less educational, its just something to watch. Once u put a dollar value on things though, viewers become a lot more discerning and demanding as we have seen.

Chess is a game / sport, whatever, where the objective is to win and peeps watch these vids in the hopes that maybe just maybe a few more winning secrets will be unlocked. A chess vid cannot be compared to a Blu Ray disc on the Lord of the Rings or any other movie primarily aimed at entertain, that's just silly.

Lastly ive seen in posted repeatedly in this thread and others about Greg being the highest rated video uploader on the site, and while he maybe the most prolific I believe Josh Friedel and Renier Castellanos Rodriguez have higher fide elo's and are more active tournament players. Renier's vids in particular stand out and are worth some credits for sure, strangely I don't think his name has popped up earlier in this thread or the other one entitled 'So what's left' or something like that.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:41 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next