View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
curtains chess videos 
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Post Re: curtains chess videos
damn thats nuts

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:05 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1700
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
This is what happens when your greed exceeds your love for the game, make a market out of it. There will always be free chess resources on the web, and when these fall foul of the same greed, others will rise. If you guys have enough man love for greg go ahead and pay up. I realise I may be banned for not portraying greg as the demi-god many of you seem to think he is but whatever, this had to be said.

I remember ages ago when Josh used to be the main contributor, it looked like he really was enjoying himself. Now it looks like chess videos is just another business model.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:49 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
neilstrauss wrote:
This is what happens when your greed exceeds your love for the game, make a market out of it. There will always be free chess resources on the web, and when these fall foul of the same greed, others will rise. If you guys have enough man love for greg go ahead and pay up. I realise I may be banned for not portraying greg as the demi-god many of you seem to think he is but whatever, this had to be said.

I remember ages ago when Josh used to be the main contributor, it looked like he really was enjoying himself. Now it looks like chess videos is just another business model.

Oh, don't be so dramatic. Of course you won't get banned. The staff could care less about your opinion on one of their main contributors.

Don't forget the 10.000+ hours (no exaggeration) of instructive and entertaining video material he made, over the course of 4 years, for just a few boxes of chocolate. That's a huge time investment.

I can get very agitated of all this hate, and I don't really understand the reason for that hate. Is it because this is the internet and people have to show their cojones all the time? If I would mow your lawn every week for 20 years for absolutely nothing, not even knowing who you are and would stop doing it, while offering to do it once a month from then on, would you react the same? Would I then also be a greedy bastard to ask for money to mow your lawn at other times?

Your could, you know, simply decline the offer while greedily benefiting of the once a month service (like myself and many others atm)

IMHO it's greedy to expect a gift from a random person on a random occasion for no reason at all.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:02 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1962
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Re: Pay-per-view videos
Well, like many others, I have enjoyed the Curtains videos among others a while back & since I now have an extremely intermittent internet connection, I was hoping to download a few of them for later off-line viewing... SURPRISE! The whole site now requires registration, has blocking software on downloads & (heaven help us all) some are even pay-per-view. That pretty much excludes me from participation at least for the foreseeable future. The whole "net neutrality" debate centers on a similar issue where content providers team up with ISP's to restrict access to all but paid subscribers to their premium service. The prevailing wisdom currently is that the "little guys" shouldn't be placed at a competitive disadvantage on bit rates just because they don't feel the need to spend gobs of money automatically to extremely wealthy/greedy corporations for extended privileges that they may never use. But I digress. The prospect of having to pay in this way for this type of content eliminates my enthusiasm for it. As a producer of original content myself, I can understand wanting to get paid, but I have to agree with an earlier poster who pointed out that this type of stuff should be loss leaders because of the (lack of) preparation involved & the nature of the activity. I can learn more about chess on my budget by playing blitz & analyzing my own games. Have fun.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
HotPawn wrote:
That pretty much excludes me from participation at least for the foreseeable future.

Ironic that you use your first post, ever, to say that you will not be participating.

The problem, if there is any problem, is not the credit system but the lack of participation.

There are still plenty of free videos and i hope that you will feel encouraged to show your support for the free content by participating in those threads. You could also support free content by producing a game analysis video yourself!

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: novice
Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
I'd be really sad to see you go and happy that you come again. As far as charging for curtains videos, I don't mind.

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:44 pm
Founder
Founder

Rating: 1300
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
HotPawn wrote:
Re: Pay-per-view videos
Well, like many others, I have enjoyed the Curtains videos among others a while back & since I now have an extremely intermittent internet connection, I was hoping to download a few of them for later off-line viewing... SURPRISE! The whole site now requires registration, has blocking software on downloads & (heaven help us all) some are even pay-per-view. That pretty much excludes me from participation at least for the foreseeable future. The whole "net neutrality" debate centers on a similar issue where content providers team up with ISP's to restrict access to all but paid subscribers to their premium service. The prevailing wisdom currently is that the "little guys" shouldn't be placed at a competitive disadvantage on bit rates just because they don't feel the need to spend gobs of money automatically to extremely wealthy/greedy corporations for extended privileges that they may never use. But I digress. The prospect of having to pay in this way for this type of content eliminates my enthusiasm for it. As a producer of original content myself, I can understand wanting to get paid, but I have to agree with an earlier poster who pointed out that this type of stuff should be loss leaders because of the (lack of) preparation involved & the nature of the activity. I can learn more about chess on my budget by playing blitz & analyzing my own games. Have fun.

Pay-per-view videos can be downloaded like any other video on the site. You do have to pay for it, but after that you have the right to download it and view it on whatever device you want. You agree to not share the video, but there is no DRM or anything, we go by the honor system.

I also don't want to trick you into paying for something you don't want. If our PPV content is enjoyable to you, then go ahead and pay for it. If it isn't, then you don't have to buy it. We can't use PPV videos as a loss leader because that puts way too much of a financial burden on us to sell chess content. We don't want to do that, we want to let individual producers create and market their own content, and we will just provide a platform for it. I don't know why so many people enjoy curtains' videos so much, but I don't think the 100+ people who regularly buy the videos are being tricked because the videos are just live blitz games with minimal preparation. I certainly agree it would be better if all the videos were free, but it just isn't realistic.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:16 am
Pawn

Rating: 1200
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
curtains wrote:
Damn do you really rewatch the old videos? Honestly the reason for that is so that if there is ever a new customer to the site, they might spend money to watch a video before watching 600+ free ones first :) I intend to keep the most famous ones free, but if we are going to go to a model like this, and have any realistic chance of making enough money for it to be worth the time, it's probably not good to offer 550 free videos to anyone before they feel like they have to pay anything :)

In terms of the prices, it was either 2 credits for all videos, or this system. This system is definitely cheaper (I think right now its averaging about 1.3-1.4 credits per video, I expect it will rise a little bit but I don't think there's any possibility it will get above 2), and I do think it makes sense that MOST people would be more interested to buy games against stronger players.

I'm happy to be back, I'm enjoying the games so far! Thanks for the kind words

I've watched your free ones for a few months.... so now I decided to buy credits. Keep the free ones up as well as your energy... Oh and accept my friends request on Facebook already. :P

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:28 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
Who are you on facebook? If I have no common friends with a person and I don't know them I just ignore, so let me know!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:32 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
For ease of finding Curtains videos, an index page has been created. It is grenerally up to date but incomplete with respect to older videos- these will be added over time. All of Curtain's tournament videos are there however. Check it out: Curtains Index Page. There is also a link on the home page.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Which one?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Spam acct obv

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

My thought too (FM rated 1249?) but she actually hasn't posted any spam.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

There's spam there, just click on the lines above her ratings in the post.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

curtains wrote:
There's spam there, just click on the lines above her ratings in the post.

Oops!-missed that. Pretty subtle spam :) Thanks for the heads up.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next