View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Curtains video request thread 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
Post Curtains video request thread
I've made this thread so that followers of my video series can make requests for certain types of videos.

The current plan is one 5 minute game per day. This will always remain in place as the bare minimum amount of content. Please use this thread for any requests of types of videos. Here are some topics for discussion:

1. Should there be more than 1 video per day?

My thoughts on the issue are that there are a number of people who enjoy watching every video of mine, however there is some kind of limit as to how much they will pay, and if they cannot watch every video, it may disenfranchise them. I could certainly add more than 1 video a day, by doing some system where on a few days of the week there are 2 videos on that day (something like 2 videos every Saturday for example). However this will raise the price of how much it would cost to watch all of my 5-minute videos in a month, and I'm hesitant to do this unless there is overwhelming demand for more. Thoughts on this subject will always be appreciated.

2. What about tournament coverage?

It's possible that I may decide to do tournament coverage as I did in the past, but this will always cost more than the blitz videos as they are much more intrusive in regards to my schedule. This is because for good tournament coverage, the video generally has to be posted no later than 12 hours after the games have been played, which means that I have to actually schedule my life around it a little bit. I expect that when/if I do tournament coverage, it will be a few dollars per round and the first round will be free. If there is an event coming up that you think you would enjoy my commentary for, please let me know in this thread, and if there is enough demand and if I'm available, I'll do my best to fulfill your requests!

3. Any videos other than 5-minute videos?

I'll take requests for any other types of videos! We will have to figure out the pricing, based on the request. Let me know if there is anything specific that you enjoy, and if I also enjoy it and have the time, then hopefully a video shall be produced.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:24 pm
Profile ICQ
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: Curtains video request thread
1. Interesting that you don't mention the limitation of your own time/motivation. Do you think there's a possibility that you might burn yourself out?

2. n/c

3. Actual "lessons" on focused topics might be something i'd pay for, but this would require time-consuming preparation on your part. For example, a series on your own best tournament games, or on historical games that most inspired you.

EDIT:
Just wanted to add that i've spent perhaps 200 hours watching your videos, which approximates the time i've spent with some of my close friends in the last 2 years. I try to surround myself with individuals who contribute to my life by their character, wit, intelligence, wisdom, or simply cuz they're FUN-- and i recognize certain of these qualities in your videos. Else i would have stopped watching long ago. What i'm trying to say is: best wishes, thanks, and even though you don't know me at all, over those 200 hours i feel as though i've gotten to know you. In the meantime my USCF rating: 1718=>2022. Peace!!!! :salut:

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

katar wrote:
1. Interesting that you don't mention the limitation of your own time/motivation. Do you think there's a possibility that you might burn yourself out?

2. n/c

3. Actual "lessons" on focused topics might be something i'd pay for, but this would require time-consuming preparation on your part. For example, a series on your own best tournament games, or on historical games that most inspired you.

Well, there are limitations certainly, I think I mentioned that a few times above, but maybe I just meant to or alluded to it. This especially holds true for tournament coverage. However given that I made 16 5-minute videos in 1.5 days though, it seems that probably I could manage more than one video per day if there was huge clamoring for it (although honestly I did take off work yesterday!). But okay for time being it will just be one per day.

Also while I understand that people occasionally like very specific lessons on focused topics, I often find them mind numbingly boring to create, so it's relatively unlikely that I will choose to do those. Honestly I highly doubt I'll make a video of any entertainment value if I'm doing something I don't enjoy. Sorry :(

Also just read your edit, I'm happy you have enjoyed the videos so much! I'm also happy your rating is over 2000! yay!!

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:42 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Question about video titles:

There is a limit to the number of characters I can use. Would you guys prefer that I try to include the opening of the video in question, even if it makes everything look clunkier and that I may have to edit down other parts of the title? Or would you prefer that I don't post the opening. Whatever you guys want I'm fine with.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Quote:
3. Any videos other than 5-minute videos?

I'll take requests for any other types of videos!

Will you do tempest chess videos (aka kung fu chess)? That would be pretty awesome.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:57 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

hehe are people playing there these days?

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:58 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Including ECO code seems like a good idea- economical in terms of characters used and it will force me to learn the codes anyway.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:50 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1580
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Hey Curtains,

First, I think that this will be great at first I was a little skeptical, but now that I slept on it, this seems to be a great way to keep you contributing to the site (which is awesome). And, as a response to your earlier post, I have watched hundreds of hours of your previous videos; they are simply fantastic!

I do have a couple of requests that might be fun for you and us:
What about covering some of the upcoming olympiad? I know there are a ton of games, but maybe you could pick a few from each round and cover them? (Magnus, Naka, and the like?). Hopefully there won't be tons of crappy short draws.

Another fun idea might be for you to cover a couple of the USCL games?

Additionally, with your five minute Vids would you be willing to provide the .pgn in the posting? That way we could try and look at the game before watching and get a feel for the position?

Thanks,
tyger

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:32 am
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
I request a video where you play me blindfold (i'll be playing normally of course), and give me rook's odds. XD
j/k.. Kung Fu chess sounds awesome, if you can find a place to play it!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:39 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hey, I tried to do an Olympiad video but my heart just wasn't into it at all. I'll try to find time to do some tournament coverage at some point, but unless I'm really into doing it, it's not going to be a great product :)

Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:03 am
Profile ICQ
Rook

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
I'd be interested in seeing a game where you play against a strong computer. Obviously the downside (with respect to youself) is that it would need to be a longer game.

However, the analysis you must be able to provide during a long game would be excellent, I'm sure.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:24 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

I don't play computers as a general rule :)

They are too smart, and my personal feeling is that they are very bad to play against. The practical aspect of chess goes completely out the window because they never miss any tactics, so you learn to be scared of everything, scared to take any risks, or ever try any attack, sacrifice, combination etc. I just find it extremely unpleasant to play against computers. Sorry I am so picky :o

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:29 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Since we're throwing out some random ideas, how about a 'Challenge Greg Day' where you get on ICC and accept challenges from CVTV viewers. Just have a window of a couple hours when you are up to recording and if there are no CVTV people you can throw down with whomever and make videos of that.

If you do something like this you will probably want to consider doing something similar on FICS as many CVTV members don’t belong to ICC.

You can post a notice “I will be on ICC September 25th between 6:00 am and 8:00 a.m. to challenge CVTV Viewers.” Maybe this way, instead of just flat out spanking your opponent you can explain why the spanking is going on :lol:

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Not the worst idea ever :) Although I will only do it if there are quite a few CTV people who are into it, ready to go, and signed up in advance. Also not anytime soon, as I'm super busy in general until the US Chess League ends.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:34 pm
Profile ICQ
Knight

Rating: 1800
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Having watched a large amount of your videos over the past few months, i would have to say the most instructive ones were the 'blind' analysis videos you did on the Anand - Topalov Match, where you didn't know the outcome and were analysing the game as you played through the moves yourself for the first time. Those are the sorts of video's i learn the most from, because you're taking the time to try and figure out everything that's going on in the position, and it encourages the viewer to do the same. That said, they obviously take more time than just simple 5 minute games, but hey, if you're being paid. :P

The 5 minute videos.... they're entertaining, yes, and there is some value to be gained from them, but honestly, it's more of an intellectual masturbation than anything else, with a few laughs and rants thrown in, i could get that sort of stimulation elsewhere, and while i appreciate the time you put into them, i'd be somewhat hesitant to pay for them. I realise there are others that feel different, and that are willing to motivate you with money to make those videos, so it will be going ahead regardless. All i ask is that you consider what's going to help your own development as a chess player; as we learn the most from those more knowledgable than us, i would thoroughly appreciate it if you'd share with us when you try and learn from those better than you, so that we may endeavor to do the same. :)

Looking forward to seeing the suggestions others have, and what sort of mixture of videos you eventually decide to produce for us. Hope you're enjoying the languages you're picking up.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next