View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
sfarmer29 - 2010 US Chess League Championship [68:00] 
Video Manager

Post sfarmer29 - 2010 US Chess League Championship [68:00]
Poster: sfarmer29
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200) | Videos Made: 332
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.70 (10)

Video Tags: Becerra Bishops-of-Opposite-Color Chase Cherniack Galofre Hungaski Marcel Martinez Miami Sharks vs New England Nor' Easterns Rosenthal Shankland

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: admin, Camoler, gentlewhisper, albinbinoo, Schumi

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:03 pm
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Re: sfarmer29 - 2010 US Chess League Championship [68:00]
I very much enjoyed this video. Although you went quite quickly in some variations for me, I felt that if you had have gone any slower or into more detail, the video would have been too long- so on balance, I'm going to award 5 pawns.

I have a question: around 61:00 or 61:30, what is wrong with moving the king to b6 instead of moving the bishop around until it must leave one diagonal or the other?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Sarciness wrote:
I very much enjoyed this video. Although you went quite quickly in some variations for me, I felt that if you had have gone any slower or into more detail, the video would have been too long- so on balance, I'm going to award 5 pawns.

I have a question: around 61:00 or 61:30, what is wrong with moving the king to b6 instead of moving the bishop around until it must leave one diagonal or the other?

Thanks Sarciness. Regarding your question I will have to get back to you later. Maybe it has something to do with the possibility of White playing a7 Kxa7, c7 and I believe the bishop and c-pawn shield the Black king from stopping the promotion. I'll have to check after work, but I think that's what is wrong with the Kb6 idea.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Wait...if that was the finals and New England won (grtz!)...does that mean USCL is over ? Omg,...when does the next season start ? Need more vids, hope the break isn't too long !

Btw, thx for doing that. It must be so much work to follow all the games and analyse them. Few weeks ago I took a peek at our German league but when I saw the sheer number of .pgns that even a single round yielded I got demotivated immediately :P

Very amusing vid. When you said "Marcel opens with a man's move: e4" I was laughing for several minutes ^^....and "checkmate ! ...erm...wait...to the queen that is." was a nice save, too 8)
What a pity not being able to play the finals ! because the car broke down. That's a bummer.

Oh btw, Alex Cherniack...I already thought that in some of the previous vids but this guy looks determined on the photos. Duuude, he is intimidating !

Becerra vs. Shankland was indeed a very instructive endgame. Nice that you got into a bit more detail there showing some variations. Really instructive stuff.

P.S.: On ~25:15 ....did you say "taking the rook is absolutely VERBOTEN". I am quite sure you sneaked some German into that sentence :D

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:20 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
gentlewhisper wrote:

Btw, thx for doing that. It must be so much work to follow all the games and analyse them. Few weeks ago I took a peek at our German league but when I saw the sheer number of .pgns that even a single round yielded I got demotivated immediately :P ...

Well, I didn't cover all of the chess league. If you want to cover the German league you can pick a favorite team and follow them as much as you can. It would be interesting to hear stories about the players there and to see some of their games. Maybe you can just select a few special games and not cover any given team.

Yes, it is a lot of work, but I feel I have learned a lot by doing these videos - the Shankland vs Becerra game is a great example. Sam's play was so confident that he must have seen the winning idea a long way off.

Thanks for your comments and your videos.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pawn

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
great game by Nich!!

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:17 pm
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Great vid! Thanks. I really liked the way you hop between the games to keep the tournament feeling...also created some cliffhanger feeling... really nice games, and an instructive trick with the bishop blocking the path to the pawn in Sam's game.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]