View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Sarciness - Schumi-Sarciness R1: A Lucky Escape [44:31] 
Video Manager

Post Sarciness - Schumi-Sarciness R1: A Lucky Escape [44:31]
Poster: Sarciness
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000) | Videos Made: 67
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.50 (4)

Video Tags: 2R vs Q 90m+30s/move match Scandanavian swindle

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Moa, gentlewhisper, albinbinoo, Hapa, Schumi, Robert_T, eimaj

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: Sarciness - Schumi-Sarciness R1: A Lucky Escape [44:31]
Interesting game.
I didn't like Qxg4 for white because it opened lines for black to attack and sort of misplaced the queen and indeed suddenly black got tactical ideas, good moves etc. Interestingly, the alternative to avoiding the exchange of queens by taking on g4 and leaving blacks queen on the board strengthening his attack, would be to win the exchange ! That's a real tragedy and what I call a key position 8) So, I'd say Qxg4 ??
I hope schumi wasn't too frustrated afterwards.

gg guys =D

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:34 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Thanks for the comment and the ratings! From a certain point of view GW, I have to agree that Qxg4 was a blunder- or certainly a mistake as Qxd4 is crushing and although Qxg4 should definitely win, it does give black counterply. However, if you see a way to win a pawn, destroy your opponent's pawn structure, and you think you can defend against your opponent's attack, then going for that position isn't too bad.

I don't think Schumi is too frustrated (at least he was gracious in defeat)- he is just up for some revenge! We are playing the second game on Sunday at 20:00 GMT. Will he get it? We shall see!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1507
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Of course I saw 22.Qxd4 and 23.Be5 straight away when I analysed this afterwards! Apart from that tactic being there, I don't think there was much wrong with 22.Qxg4. Anything else let off the pressure on black without having the pawn I think.

I still think 26.Bxa7 was a bad idea even if objectively it's OK. It's better to keep it near the king to defend than to go off grabbing a pawn IMO.

You're right on 28.f3 being a horrible move of course (I think I'm pretty much lost after that) and g3 would have been much better but after h4 I didn't see the idea of playing f3 and I was looking at a line like 28.g3 h4 29.Be3 hxg3 30.fxg3 Rxg3+ 31.Kh1 Qh4 which looked scary though the computer thinks it's fine for me.

I don't know this opening line at all, I've had Qd6 played against me a couple of times but I've never got around to looking up a line to play against it. Is castling queenside a standard plan? I must admit I wasn't expecting that!

Anyway. Good game and I'm looking forward to the next one.

gentlewhisper wrote:
I hope schumi wasn't too frustrated afterwards.

I jumped on a table and shouted "Why must i lose to this idiot?" :wink: It's not the first or last time I've lost a game I was better in so I'll get over it.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:39 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
I watched this video awhile ago but did not get around to leaving a comment.

I thought you did a good job on the video, and the Rxg2 idea late in the game is a neat tactic. I can really relate to this game b/c i used to play this opening and a similar thing happened to me in many games. I'd get to a slightly worse middlegame with no realistic pawn breaks against White's big center. I'd find myself with nothing else to do except roll the dice with h7-h5 or g7-g5 with some desperation "hacking" like in this video: viewtopic.php?t=7013 .

I agree that SCID messes up the arrows all the time. It happens to me a lot and i used to apologize in my videos for the mistakes, but then i realized it's not really my fault so now i just try not to let it distract me. 8)

I must be honest and admit that i was sad to hear your comment that 1.e4 e5 requires too much work to be adopted.

Glad to see u are making videos regularly though!

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
King

Hi katar, thanks for the comment. I thought it was just me not getting how those damned arrows work, glad to see it's not just me!

I really like your videos and the Open Games are something I'd like to play one day for my chess edification. However, the number of tries white has is just vast!
1... e5 We have: Ruy Lopez (in itself probably as big as the entire Caro-Kann in terms of theory- although playing the Berlin or the Petroff would cut this down), the Vienna (lines with f4, lines with g3, lines with Bc4...), the Italian (tonnes of theory), the Danish, the Scotch, the Scotch Gambit, the Ponziani, the King's Gambit, the Bishop's Opening, the Urosov Gambit, the Four Knights... that is LOADS to learn, even if I were to just stick to plans involving Nf6. I think that your approach does cut down on this significantly- but you must admit that it's still a lot! Still, I think the benefit to my chess would be great- so I plan to put in the effort at a later date.
Comparing that to 1...c6, where I have to learn the Classical, the Advance, the Exchange and the Panov Attack- that is far less! Also, I sometimes get a Panov Attack when facing the English: 1. c4 c6 2. e4!? d5 3. exd5 cxd5 4.d4 so learning that covers both bases. Another plus point is that white usually spends a lot of time studying the open games and will be well prepared for it. 1...c6 is relatively under-represented at the lower levels of chess, which is good for surprise value and getting opponents out of book early (or they only know an inferior sideline).

That is why I chose the C-K. Basically, I want to spend a little time on the opening so that I stop losing based on just theory. After that, my big plan is to work as hard as possible on my endgame. I think that once my endgame knowledge is good, I will understand chess far far better than I do now. I'm hoping that once I understand tactics and positional concepts in the endgame (simpler form), I can transfer this into the middle game and opening.
After that, I will re-assess where my chess is and work on appropriate aspects. My guess is that I will probably attempt next to improve my tactics by playing the open games as black and gambit lines in general as often as possible! Once you know your endgame skills are superior you can go into a "bad" endgame where your attack goes amiss in the safe knowledge that all is not lost and you can still fight for the point. That's the plan anyway!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
King

Hmm, well No, i would not admit that 1...e5 is a lot of "theory". I think the amount of "theory" required is vastly, hugely overestimated.
Urusov gambit can be avoided altogether. Ponziani can be fully prepared for in 15 minutes with good chances of getting an advantage (not equality) out of the opening. Vienna is a big joke, White is fighting for equality with very simple straightforward play by Black. Black scores OVER 50% in many of these sidelines. Even the respectable "Scotch, Mieses" is no worry, as i recently got an opening advantage in two 5/0 live blitz games against a player rated 2341 USCF with no more theoretical knowledge than i clumsily present in about 10 minutes in the video. (Basically, he played b2-b3 in the Nd5-b6 line allowing a5-a4 and Black is better--he later dropped a pawn. I scored 1.0/2.0 despite an opening advantage in both games.) Ruy Lopez is White's only serious try for an advantage, and Black (not White) dictates the line of play. So it's much more manageable than you think. Also, a big secret: almost nobody ever plays Ruy Lopez at club level b/c they are afraid of "theory"-- instead they are too busy studying multiple repertoire books on the Colle System. :lol:

As for the Caro-Kann, my impression is that Black always lacks space and is under all kinds of pressure in at least 5 or 6 different lines that White might try. Even the Advance CK by itself gives White like 3 or 4 separate but dangerous ways to play. Black's chances to counterattack White's king are small. But hey, to each his own-- we all play chess to have fun, so you should just do whatever you find fun. I will conclude with a quote IM Sam Collins:
Quote:
To be honest, I don't really see the the appeal of the Caro-Kann for non-professionals- although its main aim is to have a quiet life, White has the choice of several razor sharp lines all of which demand superb preparation. In lower-level tournaments where neither a draw with Black nor hours of preparation are always desired, the Caro-Kann just looks like a silly choice.
From "Attacking Repertoire for White" by IM Sam Collins.
For me personally, i had an intense fear of playing 1...e5 and resisted it for a couple years. I even got in an argument with Expert Pete Tamburro three years ago after he kept insisting that I needed to play 1...e5 to develop my chess. So anyway i respect the fact that chess is personal and we all have our personal approaches that make us happy. But your post provoked me to write this lengthy response so please forgive my indulgent comment........

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
King

Wow- a far more heated response than I'd expected! It's good to see that you're so passionate! However, I think you are wrong on many points. Example: you call the Vienna "a big joke", but even at grandmaster level it scores more than 50% (source: Shredder database, white scores 51.2% from 1,385 games- average elo around 2,500 or 55.9% from the Million database which you yourself use!)- so clearly the Vienna cannot be dismissed so lightly! My own personal score with it on FICS is over 70% as white! And it's not just the Vienna- there are LOADS of openings which may be theoretically "equal"- but ONLY if black knows exactly what he's doing- and that is no simple task! I'm certain that the King's Gambit 2. f4?! is a mistake, but it's not so trivial to prove it! These are just examples. I'm not saying that 1...e5 isn't a great defence- I'm just saying white has a lot of options where he can be better prepared than you and squash you although theoretically "equal". For instance, I got squashed by the Ponziani 3 times in a row as black in my local club against someone rated lower than myself. You can argue that these openings CAN give black a fine position, I take that point. What I don't accept is that you can do so without a fair bit of study.

Against the open games I score very heavily (71.8%, 53 elo above my average, 208 games). Against the Caro-Kann , I score OK as white (58.9%, 24 elo below my average, 28 games). You can argue that black was under-prepared for my Vienna- but then you must concede that heavy preparation is required to play 1...e5!

Becasue 1...c6 is only played around 10-20% as often as 1...e5, white is often less prepared. I have had many wins already in the opening and have spent almost no time studying it yet! You say there are razor-sharp positions, but those are razor-sharp for both sides! Certainly the Danish Gambit is sharp- but you do not fear it as black it seems. Also wrong is the argument that in the Caro-Kann black is playing for a draw. When I play the Caro-Kann, I am playing for an equal ending, not a draw! I want a position where I can outplay my opponent and use my good endgame technique, I think by studying the Caro-Kann I will get that. As I say, I really enjoy the Panov Attack (as both sides), so that's a plus. The Exchange gives me an equal position I can play for a win (although I admit is a bit dry). The Advance I'm doing extremely well with despite not studying it one bit as of yet. The classical I have slightly worse results against, but I feel they will come with not too much effort, at least not compared to studying all the lines I listed above for 1...e5.

Looking forward to your response!
Ish

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
King

Ok, naturally i disagree, but to each his own. Glad you are enjoying chess because that is really the only reason to play the game (to have FUN). :)

I wish you the very best of success and I'm glad to see that you are making regular videos here too! I've thrown in my 2 cents, so it is what it is. It will either ring true for certain folks or it won't. And that's all the better because it gives our game a rich diversity and variety.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]