View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:03 pm



Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55] 
Author Message
Video Manager

Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:17 pm
Posts: 524
Post curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
Poster: curtains
Name: International Master Gregory Shahade
Federation: USA
Videos Made: 2140
FIDE Rating: 2463
World Rank: 1285
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.54 (13)

Video Tags: Sym English

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: kamus, Calm, Robert_T, sfarmer29, Zibbit, leon, gentlewhisper, Hiddie, comface, thechesser, DinoZhou, Fox, highlander7, FlintEastwood, JoshSpecht, BigTy, justforfun, dciace, SpreekAway


Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:30 pm
Profile
Premium Member
Premium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:21 am
Posts: 1200
Location: Iceland
Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
"cool...repitition mother#%#%$"

_________________
Visit me on zibbit64.blogspot.com


Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:00 am
Profile WWW
ChessVideos.TV All-star
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:53 pm
Posts: 582
Location: Portland, OR
Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
Just some quick 7am observations:
1. Notice how your luck changed as soon as Zippy came up to "help"? :) (way to go, Zippy)
2. The interference that Firebird causes with your voice emulation box is soon going to give away the fact that you're actually a chess cyborg from the future, sent back in time to destroy noobs on the internet for our viewing pleasure, and to eventually bring down Sarah Palin's upcoming evil regime.

3. (the only serious comment - it's 7am, give me a break) What happened to the speed that you had? You were absolutely destroying people when you weren't spending a lot of time thinking about moves. The past couple of games, you've really had some serious thinks that cost a lot of time. Albeit in the circumstance, its understandable that the time spent was a result of trying to get out of a bad position..

_________________
"All I want to do, ever, is play chess" - RJF


Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:12 am
Profile
Knight

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:08 am
Posts: 41
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
Infuriating game. Less wasting time + whining during the game please. Plus what happened to that promise of never having zippy in the room while playing ever again?

Still, <3


Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:57 am
Profile
Rook

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:42 am
Posts: 143
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
I have an unrelated question if you don't mind: is it true that the best poker programs can't beat the best poker players?


Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:09 am
Profile
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:39 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: Maryland, USA
Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
Fabian wrote:
Infuriating game. Less wasting time + whining during the game please. Plus what happened to that promise of never having zippy in the room while playing ever again?

Still, <3

:shock:

Another portent of the decline of manners on the interwebs.

_________________
illigetimi non carborundum.


Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Knight

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:22 am
Posts: 48
Rating: unrated
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
I would recommend using a more modern computer when you are going to use the engine for analysis, as it is now its hogging all the cpu power available and the sound becomes a mess as a result. If youre on a multicore computer then make sure that your engine leaves at least one core free, so that your computer still works when youre analysing.

fonz wrote:
I have an unrelated question if you don't mind: is it true that the best poker programs can't beat the best poker players?

Not the best players, barely even the worst players. At least for ring games. For heads up bots would maybe be able to win in the very short term, but human adjustments would make the bot a loser in the long run


Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:58 pm
Profile
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:39 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: Maryland, USA
Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
Greg announced sometime back that the Rybka/Firebird/Houdini- sound issues would be resolved as of vid #638 so hang in there. :)

_________________
illigetimi non carborundum.


Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Rook

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:42 am
Posts: 143
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
wims wrote:
fonz wrote:
I have an unrelated question if you don't mind: is it true that the best poker programs can't beat the best poker players?

Not the best players, barely even the worst players. At least for ring games. For heads up bots would maybe be able to win in the very short term, but human adjustments would make the bot a loser in the long run

Wow, really?

Why is that? I would have thought that poker is easier to program than chess. (The best chess programs these days can beat the best chess players.)


Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:30 am
Profile
Pawn

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:20 am
Posts: 28
Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
fonz wrote:
wims wrote:
fonz wrote:
I have an unrelated question if you don't mind: is it true that the best poker programs can't beat the best poker players?

Not the best players, barely even the worst players. At least for ring games. For heads up bots would maybe be able to win in the very short term, but human adjustments would make the bot a loser in the long run

Wow, really?

Why is that? I would have thought that poker is easier to program than chess. (The best chess programs these days can beat the best chess players.)


Poker's a game of incomplete information, Chess is not.

If there were a variant of poker where all cards were face up, a computer would be better than the best human players.


Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:50 am
Profile
Rook

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:42 am
Posts: 143
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
dciace wrote:
Poker's a game of incomplete information, Chess is not.

If there were a variant of poker where all cards were face up, a computer would be better than the best human players.

But the human player has the same handicap (incomplete information).


Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:52 pm
Profile
Pawn

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:51 pm
Posts: 1
Rating: 1400
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: curtains - L620: W vs alec-805 (2352) free!!! [19:55]
In a variation near the end black had a pawn on the a file with his king pressed up against the edge and you said that if he moved his king to ___(forgot the exact square) you could win the pawn. However couldn't he of ran his king over to the kingside while you dealt with the pawn. Your king would be significantly behind his and it seems like he would easily eat all of your pawns and win the game. Did you overlook this or am I simply calculating wrong?


Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:24 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF