View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
The Bandyman Can 
Pawn

Rating: 1400
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post The Bandyman Can
I've been on this site for a while and thought it was about time to start a training journal. I've been playing chess casually for a couple of years now but would like to actually start improving. It seems everyone has different advice on how to get better. I'm not sure which method works best, but I thought this would be a good start. I usually play 10 0 games on FICS where my rating is about 1300 right now. I do chess tactics puzzles at chess.emrald.net for about 20-40 minutes a day, and I actually play chess almost every day. My normal method is to play a game and take a closer look at it both by myself and with the Crafty engine that comes with BabasChess (the interface I use for FICS). I'm open to any suggestions on how to get better. I know almost nothing about openings, but (1) I don't know how important that is right now and (2) I don't know where to start--it seems like there's so much out there! Anyway, please feel free to contribute your thoughts. I love chess and want to get better.
Best,
Josh Bandy
aka the bandyman
aka joshbandyface
:D

Tue May 31, 2011 11:44 am
Pawn

Post Re: The Bandyman Can
I just finished this game a few minutes ago. I got myself into a pretty ugly position early on with my opponent's bishops bearing down across the entire board, but I squeaked in a victory just because he made a few mistakes at the end.

I thought my position was fine for the first five moves or so. I pushed that pawn because I thought I could gain some space on the queen side. After black moves kD7 on move 12 I think I should have rerouted my bishop to a3, but the problem is my pieces seem really awkward and the black bishop on f5 is giving me trouble. It's nice to win, but I'd much rather win because I played well and not because I got lucky. That's all for now.
Be well,
josh bandy

Tue May 31, 2011 1:35 pm
Wants a custom title

Rating: 1694
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Early c5's in the QGD usually lead to a premature reconciliation of the center, and clarify things for black a bit. I hover between like 1400-1600 blitz (mostly I just do 5 min and 3 min occasionally) on FICS so I am familiar with the 1300 range of players on there. I started dominating them completely with tactics practice, as well as a review of opening principles. Around 1300 FICS blitz, I read Rueben Fines "The Ideas Behind the Chess Openings" which helped me to understand what hans kmoch calls the 'jump formation' aka pawns on e4 vs d6, which is a common goal for white arising out of the e4 openings. Just focus on rapid development, piece activity etc for now and you should be whooping me in no time :)

Tue May 31, 2011 8:06 pm
Pawn

I think you're right about the premature c5 in the QGD. I'll remember that for the future. I just finished finals so I couldn't play very often, but I should be able to play much more now that I'm on my summer break. I just finished this game right now. I wasn't prepared for the d3 square to get so overwhelmed. I think overall I did okay. I think I like the King's Indian defense for d4 openings. It's feels pretty comfortable for the most part.

c5 on move 11 probably wasn't a great move, but I couldn't think of a very good plan. What should I be trying to do in this position? After c5 I definitely shouldn't have allowed kb5. It's so comfortable for him! I keep getting lucky wins, but I guess that'll happen a lot when both players are so low rated.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:02 am
Pawn

Now that finals are over I'll be able to play a bit more. I've been feeling really weak lately, like I just can't see anything. It's frustrating, but I'm pushing through it. I got lucky this game because he didn't see that I could trap his rook, but I felt like it took a while to finish the game. I didn't even see that I subsequently left my bishop hanging (which still left me up the exchange). I at least could have taken the pawn on f6 at least? Anyway, I'm going to play another before work tonight. All feedback is appreciated.
Best,
Josh

Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:28 pm
Pawn

I played this yesterday right before work. Two things I was thinking about this game: (1) c5 again seems premature. I don't think it really accomplished anything. I was hoping he would move his knight to c4 so I could win it by Qd3, preparing for mate, but that never happened. c5 gives his knight a very comfortable square, and now I have problems removing it. (2) Be4 is more accurate on move 28. I didn't see that my bishop was hanging as I was too focused on what my attacking possibilities were. Once I moved Qh6 I thought for sure there would be some way to finish him off, but I couldn't figure it out. He ended up flagging so I won.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:12 pm
Pawn

The tactics I practice came in handy during this game at the very end. I felt pretty comfortable throughout most of the game. I thought he got a little crazy pushing all of his pawns at me on the king's side. I kind of just ignored it. Are there better ideas? Should I have worked on moving my pawns up the queen's side? Are there real threats on the king's side that I have to be worried about?

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:09 pm
Wants a custom title

Regarding your QGA game the previous post, after move 15, the white pawn structure would lend itself more to a d5 pawn break than a c5 pawn break, for the reason that organizing d5, would eventually allow you to push through with e6, and weaken the black king position. In addition, c5 creates a hole on d5, and prevents white from being able to remove a black piece without exchanging, which generally makes the defense easier. A setup like Qe2, Rfd1 etc might give white excellent attacking chances on the black king, after black is forced to passively defend the d5 square, a quick shift of focus might achieve the goal, or widening the beachhead with h4-5-6, or pressuring down the open b-file etc. Just some initial thoughts, since c5 seems like a backward plan (at least to me :) )

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:51 pm
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
hey, you appear to be interested in getting better with your chess. If I can be of help please feel free: http://chesstrainingschool.com/

my contact info is there, any questions I will answer them.

Charles

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:01 pm
Pawn

Thanks for the ideas JWhis! You're definitely right about the pawn structure lending itself to a d5 pawn break. Thank you for giving me the reasoning behind it as well!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:14 am
Pawn

I thought this game was very interesting. It felt like I was making natural moves in the beginning, and we ended up in a really awkward, strange position. It was a tough fight, but I ended up coming out on top (despite hanging a piece). Let me know what you think...
Best,
Josh

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:18 pm
Wants a custom title

About the ending above, take a quick gander at the concept of 'self-propelled pawns' and you'll see the quick and easy way to win that type of rook ending :) nice job!!

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]