View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Dennis M: Two Nice Wins vs. the Caro-Kann [30:00] 
Video Manager

Post Dennis M: Two Nice Wins vs. the Caro-Kann [30:00]

This video costs 3 credits to view

Purchasing this video gives you the right to unlimited viewing of this Video on ChessVideos.TV in addition to the ability to download this video in iPod video format for personal viewing. By purchasing this video you agree to the Terms Of Service.

Please Register So You Can Purchase This Video

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:59 pm
Rook

Rating: 2075
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: Dennis M: Two Nice Wins vs. the Caro-Kann [30:00]
Dennis, great game. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes its very satisfying when chess is just logical & simple - I think probably because it is such a complex game.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:59 pm
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
studentofchess wrote:
Dennis, great game. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes its very satisfying when chess is just logical & simple - I think probably because it is such a complex game.

For sure. Not only that, but games like this are great learning material since they demonstrate the basic concepts behind certain opening. Cheers dennis.

Edit: Hmm...there's an idea for a series maybe? To use your own description, "Recipies from Dennis' Cookbook" :D You could analyse games which feature the most quintessential ideas behind certain openings. I don't mean a usual opening theory kind of video, or games with perfect play - just the ones like this which clearly and concisely show how you would execute your ideal plan in a realistic scenario.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:48 pm
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Nice Nc3 line on the scandi. Roman was interested in this move. its full of traps. I have never played it personally.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:14 pm
King

I like the idea of denying the Scandanavian players their usual game though. I've recently starting experimenting with the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit as a way of spicing things up a bit. It may be objectively bad, but it beats playing against that annoying Caro Kann pawn structure. None of this Halosar trap nonsense though. Nxf3 seems much more solid.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:26 am
Rook

Rating: 1700
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Excellent instruction, Dennis; gives me a useful idea against the Caro-Kann.

A suggestion for instructional content: providing the competitive context for a game adds to the interest. (Last round game, against the guy who beat you in blitz.) I think you probably could have provided all that in 30 seconds rather than 5 minutes, though. All the detail on the blitz, and all the detail on the early rounds of the tournament, almost made me lose interest.

Once we got to the meat of the instruction, it was great stuff as usual, though. Again, thanks.

Chris Falter

Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:14 pm
King

chrisfalter wrote:
A suggestion for instructional content: providing the competitive context for a game adds to the interest. (Last round game, against the guy who beat you in blitz.) I think you probably could have provided all that in 30 seconds rather than 5 minutes, though. All the detail on the blitz, and all the detail on the early rounds of the tournament, almost made me lose interest.

I quite enjoy the pre-presentation banter. Nice to get some insight into life in a club for an FM. :) It's always possible to skip it if you're not interested.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]