View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
cuttlas' training journal 
Pawn

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post cuttlas' training journal
Hi everybody!

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed reading all your training journals and how much I've learned from them! I found them really usefull so I finally decided to create one myself. I'll be posting some of my games and trying to share my thoughts, hoping to get feedback from stronger players, guide my thinking process and see where I go wrong.
I hope this journal makes my study more constant and methodic, and also helps me with my English, which is not even my second language, so let me apologize in advance for the many mistakes I'll be making (I hope you will be able to understand me at least :oops: ).

First of all a little background... I'm 24 and I'm finishing my studies in Computer Science so I've always been fascinated for this game and its analytical thinking process, but unfortunately, even though I learnt the rules of chess very young I had never studied it a little more seriously until now (I really regret that). So, no need to say that I'm still a complete beginner, totally self-taught and I'm not even a chessclub member.

Since I'm not sure how much time I will be able to spend with chess in the near future, I cannot set any long-term goal. I will just try to get better everyday, hopefully with your help :D

I will leave you, though, my current ratings in FICS server, to track my progress:

Standard: 1675
Blitz: 1260

I'll post my training resources and my first game soon.

Cheers!

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:30 am
Pawn

Post Re: cuttlas' training journal
Well, let's get started.

That's what I use to study chess (a bit randomly, I lack of a concrete plan of study):

Books: Basically most of Silman's collection (The Amateur's Mind, How to ressease your chess, the workbook and the endgame manual), I don't read them from cover to cover, instead, I pick the chapters that I feel I need to read the most at every moment, for example, if in my last game I had problems finishing up an attack, I read the chapter which deals with initiative.
I also have McDonald's opening books "Mastering the French" and "Benko's gambit revelead". I don't focus on openings much (I'll talk about it later) but I really liked the approach they had, focusing in thematic ideas, strategies and pawn structures, rather than tons of variations.

Videos: I love watching videos from this side and from youtube. Game analysis, chess puzzles, live comentaries... and I also have Andrew Martin's DVDs "The ABC of the Benko Gambit" and "The Trompowsky: the easy way".

Chess Tempo: I got a Silver account to get more endgame practice (my major weakness I think). I try to spend, at least, half an hour every day solving tactical and endgame puzzles.

FICS: I usually play one long game a day, which I then analyse and now, I'll try to post here. I also play too many worthless blitz games, I know I'm not supposed to do that... but it's just too much fun :lol:

Chess Network: Don't you know Jerry? he's great! He's got the best youtube chess channel with lots of amazing videos, he also has a facebook page which he updates everyday with puzzles and more videos and now, he does live streaming of his own games in ChessCube (he owns a Cafe there).

About my openings, as you can see, I play de Trompowsky as white, the French and the Benko Gambit as Black. I don't spend much time learning theory though (I'm totally aware that I have more importants things to do right now).
However, I chose these openings because they quickly create unbalanced and unsymmetrical positions which give me things to work with from an early stage of the game and make it easier to come up with potential plans. Also, the type of positions which usually arise from this openings are very different: minor pieces and pawn structures imbalances (Trompowsky), space (French), material and initiative (Benko), so I think that getting to play such a different type of positions must be good for my game. I don't know whether it is a good approach or not.

Now, I will upload my first game.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:38 am
Pawn

My first game, I was black and I beat a stronger player (I'll upload loses as well, I promise :D), it was the advance variation of the French and it turned out to be a very fun, sharp and tactical one, but full of inacuracies :lol: .

I've never comented a game so I'm not sure how I am supposed to do it. I'll just point out my thoughts in some key moments and ask for the point of some moves that I just don't get

6.a3 I don't really get the point of it, but it is actually the main line. Is it just a way tu support b2-b4? Is white afraid of the white bishop giving a check here?

12...f6? I think I made a mistake here. The idea was, of course, to open up the f-file for my rook after castling, but I didn't see that if white had taken, I couldn't have recapture with my bishop due tu the fork on g6. And after exf6, gxf6, I'd have got a strong center, but not the open file and my king safety would be weakened.
Fortunately, he didn't go for it and let me carry out my plan.

15...Be8 I was afraid of him playing Qd3,threatening mate which could have been easily met with g6. I chased ghosts here, and I weakened my position by disconecting my rooks. I guess it's always important to ask oneself the question "can I ignore my opponents threat?"

16.Re1? My opponent admited that this was a mistake. I guess it just tries to activate the rook, but it turns de f2 square into a big target which becomes critical for the rest of the game.

16...Bh4 17...Bg3 At this point, I felt that there must be something tactical there, I wasn't able to see anything (because there wasn't) and yet, I started this weird trip with my bishop, only to see if this would make him make a mistake (taking the bishop would run to Qxf2+). Another bad approach. "Always assume that your opponent is going to make the best move possible"

19...Nxe5? All my moves are focused on f2. Here I take advantage of the Queen being tied down to the defence of such square. I thought it was a great move (since the game continued as I expected) but it fails to Nxd5, attacking the queen an realising the bishop. Fortunately, my opponent didn't see it either.

Then after, 23...Rf3 he sacrifice the exchange and ends up blundering, thinking that he had a back rang mate.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:56 am
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Good luck with your training journal!

Let me start by saying that with those ratings- you are not a beginner at all! If you START at those levels and work a little on your game, you are going to shoot up the rankings very quickly!

Interesting first game- a wild one! Working on chesstempo will really help and you outplayed your opponent tactically which won you the game. I can't give you much advice on the game as I don't know anything about that opening. Keep the games coming and good luck!

Sarc

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Thank you Sarciness!

Here I go with another game, it was a blitz game, again with the advanced French which, even though I managed to win, I had the same problem that I often have with this variation, and I think I'm not solving it the right way:

The problem is that I don't know how to properly develop my dark square bishop without letting my opponent damage my pawn structure. Does fianchetto it make sense?

The move 10...Nf5 (to get out the bishop's way) allows my opponent to take the knight, and gives me with one isoleted and two doubled pawns. I do have the bishop pair afterwards, but my white square bishop has to defend them both and it's not more than a grown-up pawn.
Is it best to develop the knight to g6, though it weakens the pawn structure in front of the king?

Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:31 am
Pawn

This is yet another blitz game, not a bright one, but there is a concept in the middelgame which I think it's important, or maybe isn't, so I'd like to know your opinion:

Black plays 11...c5? which may seem logical because the Queen's exchange leaves white without the right to castle, and we, the amateurs, tend to be really afraid of that. However, note that the white square bishop and the Queen are off the board, so I have the move 14.Ke2! which puts the King in a totaly safe square, unreachable for any of the black pieces, and activates the rook... so I unofficialy castled, and black weakened his pawn structure for nothing.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:20 am
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Forget blitz- it rots the soul!

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

Sarciness wrote:
Forget blitz- it rots the soul!

I can't help myself :lol:

Another game I've just played, now a 40-min one with my Trompowsky:

I am happy to see that the hours spent reading books, learning concepts, strategy... are paying off. Months ago I wouldn't have been able to note the advantage that I achieved out of the openning (good vs bad bishop and better pawn structure), but now I am, and I managed to smoothly win the game taking advantadge of them.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:09 am
King

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Good job. do you think 26...Qd7 would've been better? tia

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:38 am
Pawn

ketchuplover wrote:
Good job. do you think 26...Qd7 would've been better? tia

It would have been more annoying, no doubt, but I don't see any problem with taking with the bishop then.

what I do think was a mistake is not playing 31...Qb7, and trying to keep the Queens on the board as long as possible.

Thanks for the comment!

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:31 am
Pawn

I love Zwischenzug!

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]