View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Dennis M.: Beliavsky vs. the Velimirovic Attack [35:28] 
Video Manager

Post Dennis M.: Beliavsky vs. the Velimirovic Attack [35:28]

This video costs 3 credits to view

Purchasing this video gives you the right to unlimited viewing of this Video on ChessVideos.TV in addition to the ability to download this video in iPod video format for personal viewing. By purchasing this video you agree to the Terms Of Service.

Please Register So You Can Purchase This Video

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:04 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Post Re: Dennis M.: Beliavsky vs. the Velimirovic Attack [35:28]
Nice analysis again!

Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:27 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Awesome. I'm looking forward to this, since I recently had the opportunity to play the Velimirovic Attack in a game, but I'm not sure I pursued it correctly.

I haven't watched much of the Berlin videos simply because in over 1500 blitz games (170 of them being Ruy Lopez where I have white), I have encountered the Berlin with Nd6 exactly once. I see the Steinitz or Steinitz deferred much more often. But I do love endgames - and will be going over them soon enough. I think, to paraphrase you in the Sicilian series, there's probably more theory in the Berlin than there is in the Ruy Lopez.

Keep up the good work. It is the primary reason I pay for the membership.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:43 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
I got a pretty good tactical workout in this one! I certainly recommend pausing the video and trying to figure it out (without the engine). There were several alternative lines that weren't mentioned, but working them out and seeing why those didn't work was very helpful to me. I'll be going back and looking at the Berlin videos, too - the endgame ideas I'm sure are transferable to other endgames as well.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:48 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1850
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Small correction: 12:20 instead of ...Qc3+?? = Black should play Qxd1+ -+.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:19 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: FIDE Master
You are correct!

http://www.thechessmind.net

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:18 pm
Profile ICQ
Knight

Rating: 1950ish
berlin seems more strategical--- alot of diverse plans compared to this sac sac mate stuff in the sicilian--- i have no problem with either...

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:48 pm
Knight

Rating: 2027
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
A great video, I really enjoyed it, though it got me more tired than I am already after that nerve-wrecking Blitztournament on Sunday.

I guess that's one explanation why I missed so many tactics, despite being called a good tactician. I completely missed that Bd4 followed by Qh6 idea, was looking at Rg4-h4, but h6 was defending easily.

But I sure feel ready once again to take up the Open Sicilian after this game, after having played the Alapin, Closed Sicilian etc. without any success.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:13 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1855
Concerning the Berlin:

Since you've already done like 2 or 3 videos on the berlin before starting this "introduction" series on the Ruy Lopez, I think it's perhaps a bit too much. I for my part would be much more interested in the cover of all the a6-Ruy Lopez (I mean, there are at least 3 imporant lines in the exchange variation allone!) or the classical and the steinitz.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:28 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

@Lestat: The comment would be better suited for the Berlin video rather than this one. Anyway, if you take another look at the title of that video, you'll see it's "Quick Ruy 8" - there were plenty of Ruy Lopez shows before we got to the Berlin, and they included all the other important Black third moves other than 3...Nf6 and 3...a6. So yeah, it's going to be a while before we get to something like the Breyer, but before you criticize me for not having covered the Classical and Steinitz variations you might want to do a tiny bit of research first: they were covered months ago.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:20 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Rating: 1855
I was writing here because you were saying something about it at the beginning of the video. I watched most of your Ruy Lopez videos but not all, I remember now that you did the Steinitz in the first one and I must have overlooked the classical somewhere, my bad.
Anyway, my comment wasn't meant at all to criticize you but rather to try to give an explanation why there might be fewer views and comments on your last Berlin video.

Concerning this video, really liked it, lots of nice tactical ideas!

Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 am
King

Rating: 1802
Hi Dennis. Thanks for the video, interesting stuff. I have recently taken up the Classical Sicilian myself so this stuff is great for me! I think, though, that it was quite high-level. I am probably an 'B' or 'A' player in American terms and I found this quite theoretically involved (although as I say, I already know a little about the Velimirovic). For me this is a real boon, but I think a quick overview of the position after Bc4 with basic concepts would have made it more accessible for lower-rated players. I mean half of my opponents never or rarely see Nc6 (instead a6 to go into the Najdorf) and I'm sure the situation is worse lower down! You kind of skipped straight to Qe8- I guess you were assuming that the attack is famous and well-known by most players but I would guess that this might not be the case for quite a few players.

One of the reasons I picked up the Classical is that the move 2...Nc6 (or 5...Nc6 later if you want to go 2...d6) makes sense to me and it is so rarely seen at my level. I recently used it against a 2000+ rated oppoent in a rapid tournament and had all of the winning chances. I haven't had the Velimirovic or Sozin played against me in tournament play yet (usually Be3 or Be2 are played and we get a Boleslavsky-type pawn structure or they play Bg5 systems) but I look forward to facing it!

Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

@ Sarciness: Contrary to the Ruy Lopez videos, this one wasn't meant to be a primer on the Velimirovic Attack or even on one particular sub-variation of the VA. The primary aims of this video were to show off some neat tactics (aesthetics), and to give the viewer an opportunity to analyze some fascinating positions (training).

Addendum: But maybe the point is just that I could have offered a bit more stage-setting. Maybe so - I'll keep it in mind for similar shows in the future!

Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:48 am
Profile ICQ
King

Initiative wrote:
@ Sarciness: Contrary to the Ruy Lopez videos, this one wasn't meant to be a primer on the Velimirovic Attack or even on one particular sub-variation of the VA. The primary aims of this video were to show off some neat tactics (aesthetics), and to give the viewer an opportunity to analyze some fascinating positions (training).

But Dennis, you went into quite a bit of detail about the differneces between the Qe8 and Qc7 variations. I felt this was somewhat overwhelming for me (and I play this variation!) Just a few words about where the VA starts and what is going on would have helped the inexperienced viewer to feel a bit more comfortable. At 4:20 the real lesson starts but some may have been put off by then- I nearly was!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:07 am
Profile WWW
King

Initiative wrote:
Addendum: But maybe the point is just that I could have offered a bit more stage-setting. Maybe so - I'll keep it in mind for similar shows in the future!

Sorry, I missed this! Thought your were replying to another post (seemingly called Addendum :lol: )

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next