View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Dennis M.: Viewer Games & Questions Aug. 2011 [73:11] 
Video Manager

Post Dennis M.: Viewer Games & Questions Aug. 2011 [73:11]

This video costs 3 credits to view

Purchasing this video gives you the right to unlimited viewing of this Video on ChessVideos.TV in addition to the ability to download this video in iPod video format for personal viewing. By purchasing this video you agree to the Terms Of Service.

Please Register So You Can Purchase This Video

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:16 pm
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Re: Dennis M.: Viewer Games & Questions Aug. 2011 [73:11]
Thanks Dennis. It's funny, everybody plays the Najdorf or Dragon or Shveshnikov against me, and actually I'm not sure if I've ever even faced the Classical Sicilian before :o I honestly didn't know anything about it, and assumed it was some kind of Shveshnikov Deffered or something. So I was out of book on about move 4, and had to just go with my gut. Your analysis actually was helpful in more than one way, since it's also given me a greater understanding of the actual Sveshnikov.

To continue the theme a little, it's interesting for me that sometimes the more I know about a position the more liable I am to become fixated on one plan, and become a bit blinded to the subtle nuances of the position. I feel less comfortable in chaotic positions but actually it's in those situations that I'm more likely to come up with creative ideas. I guess it's a case of a lot of knowledge being wonderful, and a bit of knowledge being dangerous.

Thanks again for your comments and for answering my somewhat vague question :)

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:18 pm
Rook

Rating: 1700
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Thanks for analyzing my von Hennig-Schara game. I learned a ton, and I'm sure other viewers will learn a lot as well.

In response to your comments....

• I did not post your name earlier because you had passed the analysis in an email, and I try to maintain a practice of not publishing the name of my email correspondents without their permission. Since you have indicated that you think it best for me to credit you, I am happy to do so, and will maintain that practice in the future. I edited my game analysis accordingly, and recommended that my readers, however meager in number they may be, follow your blog and your videos--and even consider using your services as a coach! :D
  • I would also agree that my analysis did not sufficiently critique white's mistakes. The reason was not so much that I thought that white played perfectly, but that my goal in analyzing my games is to analyze my mistakes and learn how to not make them. If you accept my method (and I'm not saying that you should), whether my opponent played some weak moves along the way is irrelevant. I do plead guilty to the charge that it makes my analysis less valuable to my readers. On the other hand, I have very limited time to work on my chess, and I want to get the maximum training effect from my journaling time. Okay, that's my reasoning, but is it really the best way for me to proceed? Would I gain more strength from analyzing my opponent's mistakes as well?

Chris Falter

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:56 am
Rook

Rating: 1700
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
And one final, almost irrelevant point: I'm actually class B at the moment. However, I must excuse anyone who thought otherwise, as the quality of my play in that game certainly did not inspire confidence. :)

Chris Falter

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:18 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: FIDE Master
@ chrisfalter:

I appreciate the reference - if I can afford a yacht after all your viewers sign up for lessons, you'll be sure to get a free ride. :D

On the second point, I may have misunderstood the intent and tenor of your comments. Anyway, my answer is yes, you absolutely should criticize your opponent's mistakes. This is especially proper if you're publishing analysis, but it's useful for you too. First of all, the goal isn't just to learn from your mistakes so you don't make them in the future, but to learn from mistakes, period. Second, if you gloss over your opponent's errors, you're liable to discount or underestimate your own errors because your opponent failed to punish them. But just because your opponent played poorly at times doesn't necessarily mean that you played well during that stretch. To put it in terms of the first point, if you don't know what your opponent's mistakes were, you might not know what yours were either.

Developing objectivity is a crucial skill in chess, and the time to do it is in training. When playing, one needs both optimism and objectivity, and optimism should take a slight lead there. But not in training!

http://www.thechessmind.net

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:21 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Dennis wrote:
To put it in terms of the first point, if you don't know what your opponent's mistakes were, you might not know what yours were either.

Agreed. I think this is especially true of prophelactic chess where your opponent's mistakes directly correlate to your own mistake. If you don't analyse what your opponent should have played in any given position you will never be able to make a good judgement on whether the move you played before hand was any good.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:28 pm
Pawn

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Dear mister Monokroussos,

What do you think of the Nimzowitsch defence? I play it myself with quite good results and have the book play 1..Nc6! Lately I chanced from my usual response e4 nc6 nf3 nf6 to e4 nc6 nf3 d6. Please tell me what you think and if you have any advice/tips. I know that advise on this opening might take a whole video and I hope that if needed you'll make one on it. It would really mean a lot to me and help me a lot as there isn't a lot of information on this opening.

thank you in advance,

Schleichnaldo

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:39 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: FIDE Master
@ schleichnaldo: Please send questions for future shows to the appropriate thread in the Training Videos From the Masters page. (Go to viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4072&start=135 and scroll to the bottom.) Anyway, while I'm not a fan of 1...Nc6 and have no plans to cover it in a deep way, I'm happy to let its fans know that an important book on the move came out in 2007 - see the review at http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_review ... ..Nc6.html.

http://www.thechessmind.net

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:02 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]