View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
katar - 1...e5 for Noobs [32:17] 
Video Manager

Post katar - 1...e5 for Noobs [32:17]
Poster: katar
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200) | Videos Made: 83
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.73 (15)

Video Tags: black open games repertoire

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: kamus, Zibbit, Igor, pstevens, thechesser, Fox, Calm, GreedyFoe, Sarciness, Wildman, Robert_T, platos.cave, saurepommes, werdnabd12, dmsv

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:23 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Post Re: katar - 1...e5 for Noobs [32:17]
You make it sound so simple. I almost feel like I can just play 1...e5 now!

I've said it before but I really like your approach. Solid stake in the center, comfortable development, knights before bishops on normal squares, ...d5 vs c3 and put the bishop on c5.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:04 am
Profile WWW
Knight

Rating: 1800
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Great video. I play 1.e5 myself with great results.

Just wanted to say that @ 13:30 white can also play the tricky 6.Nc3 instead of 6.Re1. Where after dxc3? Bxf7+! Kxf7 Qd5+ is good for white. But instead 6.Nxc3 is good for black. Cya

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:20 am
King

Rating: 1802
Hi Katar, nice video. You make a good case for the logic of 1...e5. Indeed, it does fight for the centre. Black tries to keep the equilibrium. He makes d4 at least less easy to achieve- although not impossible. He also gets ready to develop his pieces logically (Bc5, Nf6, Nc6)...

Personally, I see the logic of the Sicilian and was drawn to it very early on in my chess life. It fights for the d4 square such that to gain control of it white has to make a structural concession (giving d-pawn for c-pawn). All other logical choices for white seem to be inferior to the Open Sicilian and I relish facing the Anti-Sicilians (possible exception is Bb5 lines). c3-Sicilian allows d5 or Nf6. f4 allows the Tal Gambit (2...d5). 2.Nc3 and f4 is a bit slower and black gets d4 in compensation. I agree that the Najdorf makes little sense to me. I can't abide by so many pawn moves. I mean... I know black [i]can[\i] get away with 1...c5, 2...d6, 3...cxd4, 4...Nf6, 5...a6 and 6...e6 but 6 moves with only one development makes me sick to the stomach! I would love to be able to refute the Najdorf but the truth is that I just can't. Therefore I chose the Classical Sicilian instead. My idea is Nf6, Nc6, Be7 and castling ASAP. I'm trying to get the best of both worlds- structure and development. It is a risk to fall so behind in development though.

In conclusion: 1.e4 e5 is a great choice. I will certainly start using it one day but already having experience with all anti-sicilians I prefer to stick with the Sicilian for now.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Knight

Nice video. I personally never felt comfortable with the Sicilian. Although you can uncork a quick counterattack, for the most part it appears too passive for my style. I will play it from time to time, usually the Taimanov variation. In the past I have used a number of ways to counter the King's Gambit, with good results, but nowadays I play the same variation as you do.
What are your thoughts on the Traxler variation in the two knights? Also, Ba6 in the Scotch, instead of your Nb6, and the Chigorin Defense of Qe7 in the Danish? I found the Qe7 line always risky and dangerous for black, and I couldn't ever really replicate what Chigorin did in his games.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:12 am
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
The video hangs for 30 seconds or so in a couple places, but then somehow synchronizes.
Besides pulling up the Aronian interview and the Nigel Davies blog, this video was very extemporaneous and unprepared. All moves were entered on-the-fly. So you got what you paid for. Basically it is just a big egomaniacal speech/rant.

FWIW this is a really great article on the Bd7 line in the Fried Liver, from Eric Schiller's collaboration with John Watson.
http://www.ericschiller.com/pdf/AntiFriedLiver.pdf

It may seem i am an emotional crusader for 1...e5 but the truth is that i honestly don't care what other people do with their lives, much less what chess opening they play, or if they even bother to play chess at all. Probably the wisest decision is not to play Ruy Lopez or Sicilian, but to play kickball.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 am
Profile WWW
King

FillemUp wrote:
What are your thoughts on the Traxler variation in the two knights? Also, Ba6 in the Scotch, instead of your Nb6, and the Chigorin Defense of Qe7 in the Danish? I found the Qe7 line always risky and dangerous for black, and I couldn't ever really replicate what Chigorin did in his games.

Traxler: White goes Bxf7+ and Bb3, and the fun crazy lines are irrelevant.

Ba6 in Scotch: Of course this is fine. Chocolate or vanilla. However b2-b3 is so common that I look forward to an advantage (not just equality) after Black's simple a5-a4 plan.

Danish: 3...Qe7 looks funny visually, doesn't it? The best IMO is 1.e4 e5 2.d4 ed 3.c3 Ne7 and 4...d5. However, meeting c3 with d7-d5 is in the classical spirit. Sometimes it's nice to equalize on move 3 with no oddball "theory" to memorize and your opening job is done.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

I liked the video a lot! Great overview!

This might not be the right place for this discussion, but in the main main line of the Ulvestad have you ever had a game where white played the right moves?

I've had great success on the white side of the Ulvestad in that line (I don't think I've ever given up even a draw) but I actually know the theory...

Personally I wouldn't be able to play an opening that was losing by force, do you have surprises at the end of that, or are you just willing to try to hold down a pawn in an endgame if white does know the theory? The computer evaluation is something horrific like +1.2 and it always gets worse and worse for black.

In terms of the Bd7 stuff, white always has some slightly larger than normal edge, but I do agree that it's a great surprise weapon.

If I had to choose how to play against 4.Ng5, I think the only decent option is the main line (Na5, c6, bxc6, etc.).

Anyways, I don't play 1...e5 often, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:44 pm
King

Rating: 2249
Rating Class: National Master
Well,
the Ulvestad might be bad through the eyes of a computer, but here in the encyclopedia of gambits http://studimonetari.org/edg/latex/indexpdf.html the score is
white +363 =181 -424.
Might be only practical chances due to the complicated and very concrete play where preparation is very important. I don't know, I don't play that stuff.
Anyway, it would be interesting what one of the experts for this line thinks about that internet ressource. I found that recently but never had the time to check its quality yet.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:25 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

zeitnotakrobat wrote:
Well,
the Ulvestad might be bad through the eyes of a computer, but here in the encyclopedia of gambits http://studimonetari.org/edg/latex/indexpdf.html the score is
white +363 =181 -424.
Might be only practical chances due to the complicated and very concrete play where preparation is very important. I don't know, I don't play that stuff.
Anyway, it would be interesting what one of the experts for this line thinks about that internet ressource. I found that recently but never had the time to check its quality yet.

Oh don't get me wrong, the Ulvestad is a wonderful practical weapon. There are lines that lose by force where white has to find all sorts of crazy moves in order to win. Over the board? Probably 33% chance of a given white master finding some of the stuff if they haven't studied it before.

The other reason that the Ulvestad is so good is that many players play the Berliner. The Berliner is just bad. White has to play the Bf1 Nd4 c3 Nd5 cxd4 Qg5 Bxb5+ stuff to get a decent position.

Against anyone rated below 2000, I would play the Ulvestad in a heartbeat. Against higher rated players, you're taking the chance that they've seen it before. In the games that follow the line that Katar recommends, white scores better than 60%.

That website was really cool. I had a hard time finding the various lines after 6.Bf1, but it looked like 6...h6?! was highly ranked.

Anyways, not to get too off track, just was curious about the board's collective thoughts about playing something that could lose by force if white knows the theory.

(n.b. I play the Morra, so I know all about practical vs. objective chances, so not knocking it, just think the Ulvestad is more unsound than the Morra...)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:39 pm
Knight

Rating: 2022
Solid video-thumbs up!
The move a6 in the nadjorf is to prepare e5 without the Bb5+ annoyance.
Kramnik switched to 1.e5 and has earnt the nickname "drawnik" , he won alot more games when he played the sicillian in his younger day's, the sicillian offers more chances to win as black ,
All responses to 1.e4 have their problems, i used to play the french but was put off it due solely to the exchange variation,
I would be interested to see Zibbit play guy's rated 2000+ in exchange french games,
The caro kann these day's has become more popular but i believe it's all a question of style and taste.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 pm
King

Andrewrun wrote:
I've had great success on the white side of the Ulvestad in that line (I don't think I've ever given up even a draw) but I actually know the theory...

Personally I wouldn't be able to play an opening that was losing by force, do you have surprises at the end of that, or are you just willing to try to hold down a pawn in an endgame if white does know the theory? The computer evaluation is something horrific like +1.2 and it always gets worse and worse for black.

In terms of the Bd7 stuff, white always has some slightly larger than normal edge, but I do agree that it's a great surprise weapon.

If I had to choose how to play against 4.Ng5, I think the only decent option is the main line (Na5, c6, bxc6, etc.).

Anyways, I don't play 1...e5 often, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I don't need to sac an exchange on g6. I think it is an overstatement to say that a pawn down with RRBB vs. RRBN is "losing by force". Black has a few viable ways to play. I don't think computers play or evaluate strategic endgames particularly well. Black trades off White's only bishop and a pair of rooks and then should have good chances to hold the B vs. N endgame with or w/o a pair of rooks. Anyway your opponent has to be Chuck Norris to play immaculately for 20 moves then to convert that extra pawn to a win.

About the Bd7 lines, my extemporaneous analysis in the video is really quite bad since i don't even mention: (1) 7...Be7 instead of Bd6 (2) the latent attack against the N/g5 (uncovered by a Nxd5) nor (3) the fact that white's d5-pawn is under-defended. With Computer-Like play White has +.44 on extended analysis. We can argue about centipawns, but my opinion is that the Black position is simple enough to play and the demigod IM John Watson even approves this line for Black.

Fortunately i do not have to face Chuck Norris, Robocop, or Rybka in my games.

Last edited by katar on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
King

zeitnotakrobat wrote:
Well,
white +363 =181 -424.

Those are just SCID Opening Reports (Control-Shift-O).

Explained in this video at 22:30.
viewtopic.php?t=6635

Nice to see this thread getting a lot of attention. :eye:

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Love all your videos. I watch them all the time...even going back and re-watching the ones in the archive. They're extremely helpful. Well-paced and straightforward with the occasional bit of humor. You're a natural teacher.

Just starting out, you convinced me to play ...e5 and I think it's been good for my personal chess improvement.

Thanks for your hardwork! Please keep it up :)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:02 pm
Rook

really good vid. great thought process.

Donations: My Paypal is Andymlewis@msn.com

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next