View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
katar - W vs 2000 (QGD Exchange) [25:22] 
Video Manager

Post katar - W vs 2000 (QGD Exchange) [25:22]
Poster: katar
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200) | Videos Made: 83
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (9)

Video Tags: pawn center sacrifice strategic endgame

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: cynima, kamus, Moa, wintermute, Zibbit, Sarciness, thechesser, neilstrauss, Fox

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:30 pm
Pawn

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Re: katar - W vs 2000 (QGD Exchange) [25:22]
The QGD Exchange Variation is my favourite opening with white, I love it :)
...b6 is weak because you can play Bxf6 Bxf6 Qh5 and white wins the pawn on d5 (standard trick in these variations :) )

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:27 am
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Aha, i totally missed that Qh5 tactic both during the game and after. Shame for that. :)

Thx for the comment.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:45 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
I usually lack the balls for such a sack and play it safe. It does however give more interesting spots and decisions and I think my growth probably has lagged a bit because I don't get enough experience in such unbalanced positions.

Interesting stuff in any case...I can also relate to losing material count. I've played games where I thought I was on equal material but had been down a piece for like 20 moves ;-)

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Hi Katar, that counting error is something that has come up in my games so many times! I'm trying to improve my visualisation skills and cut out this problem.

My initial thought was that Rc7 (instead of Rc2) looked correct- but I see what you mean about the R being "trapped". I liked your idea of doubling on the c-file before infultrating. I know I'm not a stronger player than you, but I thought that 2R+2P vs. R+B+N was actually a better advantage to you than R+2P vs. B+N. My reasoning is as follows: You can use one rook to control the open file (probably from c7 or c6) and the other to attack and get active (probably along the 6th or 7th rank). His remaining rook will almost certainly have to go passive as it has no open files to go to and no targets- so your second rook should be worth more than his sole rook. I would prefer to delay the exchange of rooks and bring the king in towards the centre first. You also expended tempi to exchange rooks and brought his king into the centre with Rc2-c8-xe8.

Overall, an interesting sac and you played with a decent plan and kept the initiative throughout. You opponent was in a purely reactive mode and that showed when he missed ...b5 and didn't sac his knight for 3P to give you a tough-to-win R vs. B+P ending.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
King

Sarciness wrote:
I thought that 2R+2P vs. R+B+N was actually a better advantage to you than R+2P vs. B+N. My reasoning is as follows: You can use one rook to control the open file (probably from c7 or c6) and the other to attack and get active (probably along the 6th or 7th rank). His remaining rook will almost certainly have to go passive as it has no open files to go to and no targets- so your second rook should be worth more than his sole rook. I would prefer to delay the exchange of rooks and bring the king in towards the centre first. You also expended tempi to exchange rooks and brought his king into the centre with Rc2-c8-xe8.

A great comment. I'm not sure the second rook could really move around too much or "get active" since i think a lot of squares would be covered by the B & N. However your point about losing tempos with the slow maneuver Rc2-c8xe8 is very accurate. A couple years ago i might have tried something like Rfd1 and prematurely pushing pawns, which must be the wrong plan. But i'm not sure my idea of trading rooks was the right one...

Thx for the great comment!!!

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Good video and intuition in the opening phase.

With regard to the trading rooks question there is no hard and fast rule, just make move that increase the scope of your pieces and take away squares of your enemy, but you already know this. With that in mind you can determine when to trade and 'how' to trade, i.e., make the situation for any trade favorable for you. One situation where having 2R vs R&2minors is that there are times where you return the exchange to advance a pawn up to the 6th or 7th which may promote or eventually cause your opponent the second piece, without the second rook to back up such tactics you may have lost this resource. Such cases are rare, but should be considered before exchanging (I didn't see that here).

You played the game well throughout and the endgame was very nice. When I get into an endgame where I have the edge I don't rush things, it's like going on a double date with your friend where you are with the hottie and he is with the not-so-hot sidekick. He wants things over in a hurry and you don't! Lean back, relax and frustrate the hell out of your opponent for very often this frustration will lead to poor moves.

The very end was a cute mate and is an example of how you can sometimes sac material late in the endgame to win.

I also agree with the sac on d5 you played. My way of thinking is that if you have a choice where both lines give you an edge (I spotted the ...b5 defense idea, but felt White was still better), I almost always opt for the line that gives my opponent more chances to go wrong.

This is one of my favorite games that I have seen you play.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
King

sfarmer29 wrote:
One situation where having 2R vs R&2minors is that there are times where you return the exchange to advance a pawn up to the 6th or 7th which may promote or eventually cause your opponent the second piece, without the second rook to back up such tactics you may have lost this resource. Such cases are rare, but should be considered before exchanging (I didn't see that here).

Very wise words that i had not thought of.

And a very insightful comment overall, dude.

Also, Steve if that is your favorite game of mine then u must not have seen this one which has a lot more dope-smokingest moves ;)
viewtopic.php?t=7956

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
katar wrote:
Also, Steve if that is your favorite game of mine then u must not have seen this one which has a lot more dope-smokingest moves ;)
viewtopic.php?t=7956

Just watched the game against Max, yes, it was intense and these are both classic games you should be proud of being part of. This latest one because you did pretty much the opposite of what you did in the game against Max, you used experience, knowledge and a bit of intuition to get a straticically winning advantage then you set about expoiting your strengths. This kind of game is just somehow pleasing to me as I rarely get to play one like this myself - usually my opponent will make a big boo-boo somewhere along the line to mess things up (notice I intentionally left myself out of that phrase to buffer my ego).

No one likes cacophany on the chess board more than I do, but seeing this game is a rare piece of art IMO. That's why I like watching Zibbit's games as well, he makes some of them look so damn easy.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]