View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Zibbit - Lessons #4-2: Playing the computer FREE [18:12] 
Video Manager

Post Zibbit - Lessons #4-2: Playing the computer FREE [18:12]
Poster: Zibbit
Name: FIDE Master Ingvar Thor Johannesson
Federation: ISL
Videos Made: 274
FIDE Rating: 2337
World Rank: 5247
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (10)

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: cynima, combover, kamus, wims, kerryvv, Hiddie

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:46 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: Zibbit - Lessons #4-2: Playing the computer FREE [18:12]
OK- that cleared it up. The confusion came from the first video where you stated that you can play f5 if Black doesn't have access to e5. So in the games against the computer that I didn't win were because I was afraid to play f5 due to the available response, Ke5. Your 2nd video showed that even if Black gets to e5, you just move the K back and forth, exhausting pawn moves until he has to vacate e5- piece of cake!- I won easily first time out with the "new" plan. I feel kind of stupid not figuring that out myself but I'm still at the point in my chess understanding where K&P endings still prove confusing at times. Thanks very much for the clarification!! :)

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
I was laughing my ass off at mark 10:15, you were saying, up to that point, yadayada make a distant passed pawn and the your freaking passed pawn just simply disappears - computers cheating - priceless. I knew that Windows 7 had to have an agenda, now I know, world domination - it's started! He was even talking back at you, thought he might bring your mother into the jabs at some point.

Seriously, good series. I remember being a young lad and reading a book by Euwe claiming a win from the starting pawn structure from the Lopez Exchange. Won numerous games by just trading off everything and getting this structure. Very good tool to know. I call it a "V" for victory, what you call the traingle (I live for cliches), easy to remember, you make a V shape with your fingers and stick the pawns in that pattern.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
kamus wrote:
OK- that cleared it up. The confusion came from the first video where you stated that you can play f5 if Black doesn't have access to e5. So in the games against the computer that I didn't win were because I was afraid to play f5 due to the available response, Ke5. Your 2nd video showed that even if Black gets to e5, you just move the K back and forth, exhausting pawn moves until he has to vacate e5- piece of cake!- I won easily first time out with the "new" plan. I feel kind of stupid not figuring that out myself but I'm still at the point in my chess understanding where K&P endings still prove confusing at times. Thanks very much for the clarification!! :)

Yeah actually that I could allow ...Ke5 I figured out in the video on the fly, I was like hey that's just like in the Ruy game with D.Solak where black had a king on f4 white pawn f3 and Ke2 (h2 vs h7) and white just went Ke2-f2 and exhausted the pawn moves.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
You can practice using the site's "Chess Endgames" feature:
http://www.chessvideos.tv/endgame-train ... ez+Endgame

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Thanks Zibbit and Andrewrun- winning 100% now. I'm pretty sure that I would not have found that pawn sac idea without this video (or some future instructional material). To an uninformed "B" player, the idea of giving up an extra pawn on my majority side seems counter-intuitive, if not insane. :)

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]