View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
FM Dennis M.: A Personal Highlight [31:28] 
Video Manager

Post FM Dennis M.: A Personal Highlight [31:28]

This video costs 3 credits to view

Purchasing this video gives you the right to unlimited viewing of this Video on ChessVideos.TV in addition to the ability to download this video in iPod video format for personal viewing. By purchasing this video you agree to the Terms Of Service.

Please Register So You Can Purchase This Video

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: FM Dennis M.: A Personal Highlight [31:28]
I miss seeing the 'good old boys' from bygone days. I've met Jay and watched him play blitz, but never got to know him.

It would be really cool if some of the old timers would post some videos of their glory days. Many of them mean so much to me for inspiring me to keep at the game. Kim Commons, James Tarjan, Jack Peters and so many more that deserve mention. We have Joel Benjamin and Larry Christiansen on the ICC from past days, but it would be nice to hear the old familiar voices once again. And boy did these guys have some stories to tell that would add to the interest in their games and that era.

Back then there were no computers, just Informator and tournament bullitens to go by. You had to keep up as much as possible, but in the end, the game really started at move 1, not like today where an 'A' class player needs to be well versed in what was played in Bilbao yesterday. Also, things were less computer-like, very human and emotional play was the order of the day.

If you could prod anyone you know from the past to make a video or two it would be really nice to have for posterity's sake.

Very good game against Walter, very complicated and subtle play (I did find the first quiz answer but felt totally lost in the others - except for that mate after Bc4 instead of Qc4).

Is there any truth to the story that someone glued down the e-pawn in one of Walter's games? Probably just one of the many fantasy stories floating around.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Nicely done, a sharp stuggle! Shame you missed that bishop sac on a6.

You were clearly playing very strong chess back then, may I ask why you decided to quit?

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1400
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
I have to admit Dennis, you always seem to have a lot of guts and grit. If it's playing an unfamiliar opening against the likes of Brown or daring for that sacrifice against Yusopov, you seem unphased and ready to just go after whoever has the misfortune of sitting across from you.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:58 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: FIDE Master
Thanks, Ross. A correction though: it was Yudasin, not Yusupov, that I sac'd and won against. (I like your version though!)

http://www.thechessmind.net

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:17 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]