View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
French Rubinstein makes me want to give up chess. 
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post French Rubinstein makes me want to give up chess.

God, I hate the Rubinstein!

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: French Rubinstein makes me want to give up chess.
I feel your pain.

Technically, Rubinstein is 3...dxe4 ; this is "Burn variation".

Anyhow u can look at the mainline and White gets a nice position.
http://www.365chess.com/opening.php?m=1 ... 4.607.1629

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:12 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 1802
katar wrote:
I feel your pain.

Technically, Rubinstein is 3...dxe4 ; this is "Burn variation".

Anyhow u can look at the mainline and White gets a nice position.
http://www.365chess.com/opening.php?m=1 ... 4.607.1629

Thanks, I had a look at the main line but intuitively I actually prefer black's position. White scores okay in your Millbase- but I don't get why white is better. Black has the bishop-pair and no real weaknesses. Maybe it revolves around the queen-bishop? Can you help me out?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:14 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
You need a good reason to give away a free tempo. You need an even better one to refuse to win a tempo.

Lets not elevate this opening too much guys. Its good, but ain't you heard it lost its AAA status on the news this week?

6.Nxf6 gives away free tempo.
7.Bxf6 gives away free tempo.
12. Qe2 refuses to gain free tempo with 12.Rb1. Wonder what happens if he plays 12...Qxa2?
14.Ne4 The move back ( really naughty ).
15.Qf3 refuses to gain a free tempo with 15.f4, after 15...Qd4+ 16.Qf2 What have you got to complain about?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Pobble wrote:
Lets not elevate this opening too much guys. Its good, but ain't you heard it lost its AAA status on the news this week?

LOL!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:04 am
Profile WWW
King

A tough nut to crack. Normally I'll just sit on the position, until I lose my patience and go crazy on the kingside.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 am
King

Sarciness wrote:
Thanks, I had a look at the main line but intuitively I actually prefer black's position. White scores okay in your Millbase- but I don't get why white is better. Black has the bishop-pair and no real weaknesses. Maybe it revolves around the queen-bishop? Can you help me out?

Space, piece activity, attacking chances. Compare those features to an Open Sicilian. What is Black's plan? Probably to play for c5. So you can combine prophylaxis against BLack's c5 with an attack on Black's king:
White can castle long, then look for the proper moment to plonk a knight on e5 or even omit that move and just getting on with g4, h4, g5. If White's queen is on e2, bishop on d3, rook on d1, then a knight on e5 will be very strong because d4xe5 would open the rook's line to the Black queen (i.e., Bxh7+). Instead of Ne5 white can also consider h4 and Ng5. If you can provoke Black to move a pawn in front of his king, then you have a pawn break. Or there may be a sacrifice somewhere.

Not sure how relevant these games are, but you might look at
viewtopic.php?t=4243

and
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1241410
(iirc, Kingscrusher made a video on the Moro game on youtube.)

Unfortunately the above games are both Rubinstein (not Burn) move orders. GL.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:42 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
Have you heard the one about the Sicilian? It wins by force for white, cos white wins are always quick - so they get into Newspapers, (which obviously have limited column space ), while black wins tend to last deep into the endgame, so do not. The ' saying ' is a bit old I admit. Mostly we are talking about the Schevinginthingwhatitspelled., or the kindly spelled Rauser or Najdorf.

This classic Sicilian ending happens when whites e4 pawn and blacks d-pawn disappear. Your left with the famous white - 3 and 3, verses black 2 and 4 pawn structure. Steinitz thought such things were a real advantage for the side who could make an outside passed pawn. Likely it started with Rubinstein, but later the Russians started to prefer the more central mass. If you have some clever methods ready to blockade the queenside majority then your virtually a pawn up. The c-file makes the c2 pawn a natural target. Lastly, having a central pawn mass allows you to use your king more easily. You do not have to agree with these reasons, it is just that a lot of players certainly do.

This line or two lines of the French is just black wanting this Sicilian endgame. What endgame you ask - all the pieces are still on! Well, with just normall type moves the pieces tend to get exchanged pretty quick due to all the open lines. White can obviously take risks, which are the lines Katar mentions above.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 pm
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 1840
I tried a little experiment in a blitz tonight. Somebody who plays the Rubinstein almost certainly wants some kind of 'watch paint dry' kind of a game...so I gambited a pawn right in the opening, BDG style. I never play like this normally but it's quite fun and this time worked a treat :)

Bd6 is probably inferior to Ne7. If the B were on e7 then the pin wouldn't be available and also the pawn on d4 would be under attack. Bd6 allows white to conduct his attack much easier. An earlier c5 from black would also be very logical.

Anyway I checked with Houdini and it thinks the knight sac is completely sound. I go from -.5 to +3 once he takes it. The original pawn sac also appears to be okay-ish. Houdini only puts me at -.2 after that which is very little really, considering how much play white gets (plus the psychological advantage of encouraging a position completely unlike what black is hoping for). I'm suprised this isn't tried more often - nobody above 2300 has played it before but it seems like a good tool to try in a 'must win' game.

I'll definitely be trying it again anyway! Obviously black can play better but it seems like a fun line, and actually not too bad either.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:39 pm
King

FlintEastwood wrote:
The original pawn sac also appears to be okay-ish. Houdini only puts me at -.2 after that which is very little really, considering how much play white gets (plus the psychological advantage of encouraging a position completely unlike what black is hoping for). I'm suprised this isn't tried more often - nobody above 2300 has played it before but it seems like a good tool to try in a 'must win' game.

I'll definitely be trying it again anyway! Obviously black can play better but it seems like a fun line, and actually not too bad either.

If Houdini says you get +.8 worth of compensation for the pawn, usually you can go for it if the opponent has problems to solve. (As curtains would say, "issues to deal with".) There is a reason this early e6 line is not the recommended antidote to teh BDG. Black is better off going Bf5 and Bg6 before playing e6 to defend h7. Good play.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
King

FlintEastwood wrote:
Anyway I checked with Houdini and it thinks the knight sac is completely sound. I go from -.5 to +3 once he takes it. The original pawn sac also appears to be okay-ish. Houdini only puts me at -.2 after that which is very little really, considering how much play white gets (plus the psychological advantage of encouraging a position completely unlike what black is hoping for). I'm suprised this isn't tried more often - nobody above 2300 has played it before but it seems like a good tool to try in a 'must win' game.

Certainly a good way to mix it up! Way sounder than the Diemer-Duhm-Gambit (3. c4?!) which I play from time to time.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:11 am
King

Rating: 1840
So I just checked - after Nf6 (the game continuation) we have a direct transposition to the Euwe Defense of the BDG proper. There is a little theory here apparently, and white scores very well.

http://www.chess.com/opening/eco/D00_Bl ... we_Defense

So the move that would give the line an independent characteristic from the BDG would be c5 instead of Nf6. This would seem to be the critical test of trying to reach the BDG via the Rubinstein move order.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]