View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Sarciness - CVTV6 R2 (vs. Gentlewhisper) [56:38] 
Video Manager

Post Sarciness - CVTV6 R2 (vs. Gentlewhisper) [56:38]
Poster: Sarciness
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000) | Videos Made: 67
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (3)

Video Tags: Jaenisch Live Ruy Lopez Schliemann Spanish

This is half of a dual commentary. Other half: gentlewhisper - GW vs Sarciness Part1

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: eimaj, kamus, albinbinoo, gentlewhisper

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:07 am
Rook

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: Sarciness - CVTV6 R2 (vs. Gentlewhisper) [56:38]
Some great commentary, interesting and amusing.

However for some constructive criticism. After move 20 R8f8 when you lost your queen you started to lose it a bit and your
commentary suffered but that is too be expected. Just try and stay positive when you make mistakes and learn from them. It's what i'm trying to do
although without huge success.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Happy New Year Sarc,
a tough hit!

A v enjoyable video nonetheless =)

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:59 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Hey Sarc, hope the shops are open again and that you are still alive :D

Ok, so the Schliemann Defense - I actually only know the name thanks to the "Searching for BF" movie :D

**** after 5....Nf6

My opening knowledge and library (Wikipedia) both have nothing to add at this point *D'oh!"
The computer proposes etiher 6.Nxf6+ or 6.Qe2 (instead of my 6.d3). Both moves look unattractive to me though.

**** after 12.Bg5

Ok, post-sacrifice scenario. Both Sarciness and I talked about the position the same way but evaluated it a bit differently.
We both agree on the general characteristics:
-Material is N vs 2 pawns
-Black has a wonderful centre and active pieces but an exposed, naked king.

During the game I was rather convinced that having created such an exposed king is a worthy compensation for the other features. I do have to admit now though that my pieces are rather passively placed and it was not easy to even get them into / create an attack. Stuff mustn't necessarily happen in 3-4 moves, though.

Fritz says -1.7

***** after 19.Rxe5

Fritz doesn't take immediately but prefers to play standard moves like ...c6, doubling rooks. Even though taking seems to be ok. He counters the 21.Rg5 threat by playing 20....Qg7 (idea: to have ....Rg6) and gives the following line 20....Qg7 21.cxd5 Bf7 22.Bc4 where white has 4 pawns for the rook and an evaluation of still ~ -1.7
Variation:

**** after Q loss:
Ok, so +2.0 now, guess that's what might be called a blunder and evaluation never dropped under +1.5 again.

---

I still wonder though if that positon was really that lost for white...I mean -1.7 is basically "lost". I am not 100% convinced that this true but it's hard to argue against a computer :D
Maybe because white had problems to get the pieces into play, close to the king....well,..yea...but there also 3 connected passers on the K-Side....hmm?
Ok, will probably have to take a closer look at some lines here.

Anyway, also any input on an Ok-ish opening line is appreciated. I actually do like these "Spanish Knights" (f3+g3) but computer seems to disagree ^^.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:26 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 1802
gentlewhisper wrote:
Hey Sarc, hope the shops are open again and that you are still alive :D

Ok, so the Schliemann Defense - I actually only know the name thanks to the "Searching for BF" movie :D

**** after 5....Nf6

My opening knowledge and library (Wikipedia) both have nothing to add at this point *D'oh!"
The computer proposes etiher 6.Nxf6+ or 6.Qe2 (instead of my 6.d3). Both moves look unattractive to me though.

My suggestion is to play 4.d3 if you don't like these positions. It's "the other" main line :)

gentlewhisper wrote:
Ok, post-sacrifice scenario. Both Sarciness and I talked about the position the same way but evaluated it a bit differently.
We both agree on the general characteristics:
-Material is N vs 2 pawns
-Black has a wonderful centre and active pieces but an exposed, naked king.

During the game I was rather convinced that having created such an exposed king is a worthy compensation for the other features. I do have to admit now though that my pieces are rather passively placed and it was not easy to even get them into / create an attack. Stuff mustn't necessarily happen in 3-4 moves, though.

Fritz says -1.7

Sorry, but white has no legitimate way to attack in this position. Black's active pieces and good centre easily defend the king. In fact, it's black who has the attack, which is why it's not -1 (as in the difference in material) but -2.

gentlewhisper wrote:
I still wonder though if that positon was really that lost for white...I mean -1.7 is basically "lost". I am not 100% convinced that this true but it's hard to argue against a computer :D
Maybe because white had problems to get the pieces into play, close to the king....well,..yea...but there also 3 connected passers on the K-Side....hmm?

I honestly think white is lost objectively. But it's blitz so anything can (and did) happen!

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 1802
jtixs wrote:
However for some constructive criticism. After move 20 R8f8 when you lost your queen you started to lose it a bit and your
commentary suffered but that is too be expected. Just try and stay positive when you make mistakes and learn from them. It's what i'm trying to do
although without huge success.

You are absolutely right, I need to develop a tougher mental attitude. I was annoyed at making the same mistake of not looking for my opponent's threats- a mistake which I make again and again and again. Although I'm objectively "lost" after losing the queen, there was still fight in the position, especially as we had only around 5 mins each. My attitude shouldn't be "oh no, I've screwed up!" my attitude should be "Rage, rage against the dying of the light!"

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]