View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Jtixs Training Journal 
Rook

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: Jtixs Training Journal
Been streaming quite a lot recently, I find that having to vocalise my thought process can be very helpful. I stream most nights (GMT) at twitch.tv/jtixs

Doing tactics training, playing some 15 minute games. And also doing match the masters/chess solitaire which is an incredibly useful training exercise.
Here is a game I looked at.

I have the full move list down somewhere but here are some key moves that I missed/found.

13.a4 (my guess 13.Re1) In this position carlsen plays a4 with the idea of blockading the b file with Nb5 I was
unaware of this defensive idea and played the simple development Re1, after which Nh5 is annoying. a4 scores very well for white.

15. Bg5 after Ne8 black wants to play Nc7 to kick out Knight off b5. Bg5 is a nice move as it threatens the backward pawn and develops a piece whilst also forcing black to adjust his setup to deal with our piece. The position of 18.Bg5 f6 is interesting but white has an advantage.

22. Qe6+ (my guess Rad2) my guess was just bad. Rad2 c4 and black has excellent queenside pressure. I didn't like Qe6+ in a lot of variations as I thought the e6 pawn would be too weak but carlsen plays actively and the e6 pawn is actually a great strength rather than a weakness.

29. Rd3 (my guess Re1) Rd3 is simply better than Re1, Re1 is too passive and black does not have to move his knight.
it also means that after some variations white can't defend his a pawn.

34. b6, white is just winning here as the b pawn and the weak f pawn are two weaknesses black can't defend.

Overall a really interesting complex game and I would encourage anyone to look over it.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:52 am
Profile WWW
Rook

I have decided to mix up my openings for a few weeks. The most recent blog by NM Dan Heismann on chess.com http://blog.chess.com/danheisman/whats-a-good-opening
talks about how being an intermediate player it is important to try a variety of openings so you can practice in different pawn structures.

Opening e4 as white is a daunting task, I have to figure out what I should play vs e5, the french, the sicilian, the scandinavian etc. not sure how I should approach this task.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:25 am
Profile WWW
Rook

Rating: 1700
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Getting started with 1. e4
Hi jtixs,

Why not try Neil McDonald's "Starting Out" book: Starting Out: 1. e4: A Reliable Repertoire for the Improving Player? I think it's just what you're looking for, based on its reviews on amazon.com. (Haven't read it myself.)

Chris Falter

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:24 am
Rook

Post Re: Getting started with 1. e4
chrisfalter wrote:
Hi jtixs,

Why not try Neil McDonald's "Starting Out" book: Starting Out: 1. e4: A Reliable Repertoire for the Improving Player? I think it's just what you're looking for, based on its reviews on amazon.com. (Haven't read it myself.)

Thanks for the recommendation, I enjoy McDonald's books so I might check it out now I am back into playing chess.
Had a month out of chess so now getting back into it

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Rook

I decided to start a blog to record my progress but I will mirror the posts as best I can here.

Intro

The study of chess is a fascinatingly, complex journey. Its many mysteries have attracted some of the worlds finest minds. Great thinkers have dedicated their lives to understanding every aspect of the art.

Many have delved into the opening stages of the game. Uncounted hours have been spent in this theoretical realm looking for the tiniest of advantages and providing the foundations for thousands of others.

Some players will look elsewhere. Attacking players flourish in sharp middle games, demonstrating brilliant sacrifices and beautiful calculations. Others prefer a more positional approach, like a snake they slowly squeeze the opponent, providing no chance for counter play. In these creations it seems, miraculously, that the winner has achieved victory with no real effort.

What of the endgame? Which some would label as “the soul of chess“. Here; calculation, intuition, chess principles and an occasional twist of thought combine to produce wonderful positions. Just one tempo can be the difference between a full point or giving it away.

But let us not forget that this beautiful, theoretical work must ultimately be put to test in the brutal arena of competition. Here psychology and presence is often more of a factor than the study of a complex middle game position.

When I decided to start this journal the amount of subject matter and the quality of the authors was rather daunting. What insight could I hope to offer? The truth is that for many of us the study of chess is a profound experience. Whilst the knowledge that we newly obtain may already be known to many, for us it is a moment of growth and another stepping stone on our own journey. I hope that you gain something from sharing in my experiences.

check out the blog here
http://jtixs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/int ... urney.html

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Looking forward to more, Jtixs.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:51 am
Profile WWW