We have a number of videos covering tactics, ranging from overviews of basic tactical ideas to discussions of particular problems to recordings of members solving tactics live. Studying tactics is one of the most effective ways to improve your chess and these videos provide a good foundation for tactical study.
A series of videos on learning the key patterns (or common tactical ideas) that come up time and again in chess games. These patterns constitute the fundamental building blocks of chess tactics.
- 3/14/08 Pattern Recognition #1 - Introduction 41:45 FM Zibbit discusses a huge variety of important tactical themes as well as the process of pattern recognition. This video is a MUST WATCH, as it's one of the best videos on the site!
Videos Covering Individual Tactical Themes
These videos cover basic tactical themes. Stay tuned for more lessons on the fundamentals of tactics!
- 4/7/09 The Windmill Technique 12:36 sfarmer29 introduces the windmill, also known as a "see-saw" tactic.
- 8/20/08 intro to Greek gift sacrifice 14:32 katar tells us about the famous Greek Gift sacrifice. GREAT video with some entertaining chess history.
- 5/26/08 Introduction to Forks Pins and Skewers 4:38 Robofriven provides an excellent beginner-targeted video on some tactical fundamentals: the fork (simultaneous attack of two different pieces), the pin (when a lower-value piece can't move because it is shielding a higher-value piece), and the skewer (when a high-value piece is in front of a lower-value piece and forced to move out of the way, leaving the lower-value piece vulnerable).
- 12/31/07 Tactics Backrank Weakness 17:12 Discussion of a number of positions centering around the theme of the weak back rank.
- 7/24/09 Sacrifice on f7 12:45 Analysis of a game that higlight the thematic f7/f2 sacrifice.
- 3/11/09 Double Queen Sacrifice 4:26 Discussion of a double queen sacrifice.
Live Tactics Problem Solving
These videos show people solving tactics problems live. Often entertaining and always instructive, they provide a window into a player's mind at the board or during a training session.
- 2/3/08 Chess Tactics Solving #1 21:27 ChessVideos superstar and International Master, curtains, solving tactics problems live on the Chess Tactics Server (CTS).
- 1/30/08 Some random tactics training 28:25 ChessVideos super-star and FM, Zibbit, solving live on CTS.
- 8/5/08 Chess Tactics Server Session 9:32 ClausJensen introduces his blog, provides an overview of the CTS, and then solves a number of problems.
- 8/16/09 Tactics training 13:20 Frenchie501 studying tactics with the [Internet Chess Club] (ICC) trainingbot.
- 2/28/09 Computer Workout Tactics Trainer 15:25 Bullrock discusses Chess.com Computer Workout Trainer.
- 2/15/109 Tactics: Inside the Mind of a Student 23:54 JWhis solves some problems live in the Chess Position Trainer (CPT).
- 2/15/09 Tactics II: Inside the Student's Mind 50:46 JWhis solves more problems with the CPT.
Interactive Tactics Problems
An excellent series from ClausJensen. Note that episode 13 is missing.
- 9/6/08 Test Yourself I 14:53 The first episode of ClausJensen's interactive problem solving video series.
A series of interactive puzzles from Zibbit. He presents a variety of tactical ideas and walks the viewer through the problems.
- 5/25/10 Nugget10: Some blitz tactics 17:00 Zibbit reviews some entertaining blitz tactics from his own games. Includes discussion of some Fischer Random (Chess960)
Other Tactics Problem Sets
- 11/4/09 Tricks Traps Mate 2: EU Team Ch 1 17:05 Hitchhiker looks at some exciting tactics from the 2009 European Team Championship.
- 8/5/08 Tactics, Sacrifices & other nasty things 20:57 Paddee analyzes one of his own games that features a number of important tactical themes.
- 8/19/09 Bronstein Tactics Part I 31:52 FM Dennis Monokroussos on tactics in David Bronstein's games. Premium video.
- 8/19/09 Bronstein Tactics, Part 2 30:09 The conclusion to Dennis Monokroussos's series. Premium video.
- 9/2/08 Tactics Seen and Unseen 43:53 Premium video.
Deep Analysis of a Single Problem or Position
- 8/28/08 ChessTempo (Standard) #43039 4:28 ccmolitoris analyzes a particularly interesting position from his CT training.
- 7/20/07 Book 1 Puzzle 1 3:53 The author of Chess Puzzles for the Casual Player, discusses a position from his book. For more of these puzzles, visit casualchessplayer's user profile.
- 10/18/07 The Chess Gym - Tactics from Queen Pawn Openings IV 16:25 The conclusion of The Chess Gym's series.
- 6/14/08 Famous combination: Zukertort-Blackburne 5:28 Waldemar presents a famous combination. Very popular video!
- 6/21/09 Personal Chess Trainer, Chessimo demo 8:55 katar introduces Chessimo.