Welcome to our directory of endgame studies and lessons. These videos cover endgames of all levels, ranging from basic checkmates to extremely complicated endgame studies. To see ChessVideos.TV's most recent endgame videos, make sure to check out our Endgame Lessons forum. Many of the key positions discussed here can also be practiced in our endgame simulator. For an overview of how to use the simulator, make sure to watch this video. This article was created with the help of Katar's Endgame Course by CV.TV Members.
King and Pawn Endings
We have a number of videos covering the most basic pawn endings all the way up to complicated endgames with multiple pawns on both sides of the board.
Foundational King and Pawn Endgame Positions
- 8/24/08 Workshop: Pawn Endings 1-1 13:55- For a quick and instructive introduction to pawn endings, check out Svente's contest-winning pawn endings workshop. This covers all of the basics addressed in the other videos in this section.
- 4/8/07 Lesson: Winning with King & Pawn v King 4:56 This is the fundamental king and pawn position. Make sure you've mastered this position before moving on to more difficult videos. To practice winning this position, check out our endgame simulator
- 6/15/09 Rook Pawns 11:00 While the technique discussed in the previous video wins with almost every pawn, the stronger side cannot force a win with a rook pawn (a pawn on the a- or h-file). This video covers situations involving rook pawns.
- 11/5/07 The Square of the Pawn 12:39 This is the next key video, covering a technique for figuring out if the enemy king can catch one of your passed pawns.
- 8/30/07 3p v 3p endgame 2:56 Understanding of king and pawn endings requires reviewing pawn breakthroughs. While other videos will give more complex examples of breakthroughs, this video covers one of the basic positions.
- 8/9/08 Pawn Breakthrough Endgame 5:48 Another fantastic video on the basic pawn breakthrough.
- 4/24/07 Lesson: Queen vs. Pawn on the 7th rank 6:11 This video is also linked in the Queen ending section and is critical for understanding pawn endings as the queen vs. pawn on the 7th rank situation often occurs when one side barely wins a pawn race. Know this position well and practice it in the simulator.
- 3/24/08 A Simple Pawn Ending 37:39 FM Dennis Monokroussos discusses a simple pawn ending. Premium video, limited preview.
Intermediate Pawn Endgame Ideas
These videos cover the intermediate level endgame ideas, with the exception of lessons on pawn breakthroughs, which can be found in a separate section. These lessons primarily focus on more complicated pawn positions as well as king maneuvers, like triangulation.
- 5/26/10 Endgame Simulator Guide: Triangulation 6:55 An introduction to the concept of triangulation. This video deals with a position in the endgame simulator, so make sure to practice it there!
- 3/9/08 endgame study: triangulation & trebuchet 6:18 More on triangulation and the idea of a trebuchet.
- 8/14/08 Triangulation and Outflanking 8:10 This adds coverage of another king maneuver, outflanking.
- 5/28/10 Endgame Simulator Guide: King Maneuver 8:28 Introduces the concept of shouldering as well as some suggestions for thinking about king position in pawn endings.
- 5/21/09 Key Squares 47:05 A guide to "key squares," a very useful way of thinking about pawn endings.
- 7/15/09 Michael Quigley Podcast 2 5:00 Coverage of pawn races.
These videos cover more complicated pawn breakthroughs. The pawn breakthrough is one of the central ideas in pawn endings and should be understood by all improving players.
More Complicated Pawn Endings
- 2/28/08 An Educational King/Pawn Endgame 21:24 Whiskeytown provides post-mortem analysis of an entire game that features a complex king and pawn struggle.
- 11/3/07 Rackem-Sackum King & Pawns 10:16 The Chess Gym discusses pawn chess.
Rook and Pawn Endings
Rook endings are the most common type of endgame. Rook endings are often very complicated and feature winning opportunities for both sides. While Tarrasch's observation that all rook endings are drawn is theoretically true, in practice, rook endings often feature winning opportunities for both sides.
Fundamental Rook Endgame Positions
- 4/10/07 Chess Lesson: Checkmate w/ King and Rook 4:59 This is one of the basic checkmates. Practice on the [endgame simulator].
- 7/6/07 Chess Endgame Lesson: Lucena Position 5:18 This lesson covers the basic win with rook + pawn vs. rook. Start here when learning about rook endings and don't forget to practice in the [simulator].
- 7/7/07 Chess Endgame Lesson: Philidor Position 4:50 While the Lucena Position is the fundamental winning rook endgame position, the Philidor position illustrates the foundational drawing idea. For an example of a game that ends in the Philidor position, see the live commentary Chapaev(GM) vs. Curtains(IM).
- 11/12/08 Philidor's Position 34:34 Another video on Philidor's position from FM Dennis Monokroussos. This is a premium video.
Other Rook Endgame Videos
- 3/3/08 B vs. Stelios Halkias(GM), RvkOpen2008(1) 47:29 Zibbit analyzes one of his recent games and talks about a number of key drawing ideas in rook endgames.
- 4/14/10 Umbrellas in Rook Endings 27:59 FM Dennis Monokroussos discusses the concept of a rook endgame umbrella. Premium video.
- 8/18/07 Endgame Study: Saavedra Position 4:13 Analysis of an unusual and beautiful rook endgame.
- 11/4/07 Rook-bombs 14:43 The Chess Gym discusses chess with only pawns and rooks.
- 8/10/09 Endgame Misadventures Part 2 41:28 Premium video.
Minor Piece Endings
While minor piece endgames are less common than rook endings, they occur a fair amount and illustrate a number of key ideas for understanding how minor pieces operate. If you want to gain a deeper understanding of the bishop and knight in the endgame, middlegame, and even opening, a review of minor piece endgames is a great place to start.
- 6/15/07 Chess Lesson: Mating with two bishops 6:02 One of the basic checkmates, but somewhat unusual in practice. Illustrates how bishops can work together.
- 2/1/10 Centurini's Position 7:51 One of the fundamental bishop endgame positions.
- 11/4/07 Lightning Bishops 16:37 The Chess Gym's discussion of chess w/ only pawns and bishops.
Opposite Colored Bishop Endings
Perhaps the most drawish of all endgames, opposite colored bishop endings require a great deal of technical skill for the stronger side.
- 12/31/09 Pawn Sacrifice in the Endgame 9:52 Chessvideoguy talks about a pawn sacrifice in an opposite colored bishop ending.
- 7/23/09 An Opposite Colored Bishop Ending 30:41 Analysis of a particular opposite colored bishop ending with some general advice as well. Premium video.
- 11/4/07 Knight Mares 15:40 The Chess Gym reviews knight endgames through the discussion of pawn chess w/ knights.
- 5/18/10 Knight Endings pt. 2 15:11 thechesser's compilation of basic knight ending themes continues.
Mixed Minor Piece Endings
These positions feature bishops and knights.
- 8/31/07 Checkmating with B+N [14:20 This checkmate is extremely rare in practice, but is excellent for helping players understand how bishop and knights work together. Definitely worth watching and practicing in the [simulator].
- 10/13/08 Bishop and Knight mate 5:14 Portuguese-language explanation of the checkmate.
- 12/29/08 Bishop v. Knight endgame 23:01 Gentlewhisper analyzes a bishop vs. knight endgame he played against Kingsblade
- 5/28/2010 Endgame Training 3 34:42 Hitchhiker's series on endgame training continues with discussion of minor piece endings.
- 2/26/09 Knight v. Bishop Misadventure 36:01 Discussion of the importance of piece placement in the endgame. Premium video.
- 9/16/08 Bishop vs. Knight, Part 2 39:53 FM Dennis Monokroussos continues his series. Premium video.
- 9/23/08 Bishop vs. Knight, Part 3 46:13 FM Dennis Monokroussos continues his series on Bishop vs. Knight endgames. Premium video.
- 3/2/10 A Textbook Bishop vs. Knight Ending? 29:17 Dennis analyzes what initially appears to be a straightforward bishop vs. knight situation but turns out to be much more complicated. Premium video.
- 1/8/09 W vs. K.Landa(GM), ECC08(4) 44:28 Zibbit analyzes one of his recent games and discusses the art of defending difficult endings where you have a knight against bishop. Good discussion of an endgame fortress.
Queen endings are among the trickiest of all. Opportunities for perpetual checks abound and even getting a passed pawn down the board can be a difficult prospect if your king lacks a pawn shield. Furthermore, some material imbalances can be very tricky to win, like the infamous Queen vs. Rook endgame (no pawns).
- 4/24/07 Lesson: Queen vs. Pawn on the 7th rank 6:11 This is the fundamental queen endgame position and is also one very relevant to pawn endings as it can often arise when one side barely wins a pawn race. Know this position well and practice it in the simulator.
- 8/15/08 Queen vs Rook pawn on 7th 6:49 Note that the pawn on the seventh scenario is considerably more complicated (and often drawn) when the weaker side has a rook pawn. This video discusses these positions.
Queen & King vs. Rook & King
Perhaps the most complicated pawnless endgame scenario. Forcing a winning position can be extremely difficult.
- 5/26/10 Endgame Simulator Guide: Queen v Rook I 16:35 The key position for winning queen vs. rook endgames. The idea is that the stronger side forces the king and rook far apart and then wins the rook with some tricky checks. Review carefully and practice.
- 9/5/07 Endgame Study: K+Q vs. K+R 8:06 Discusses a similar position to the one above.
- 5/28/10 Endgame Simulator Guide: Queen v Rook II 12:04 Discussion of another, even more complicated Q v R scenario. Practice in the simulator
More Complicated Queen Endings
- 2/10/10 Queen and Rook Endgame 13:42 Andrewrun's analysis of a multi pawn queen and rook vs. queen and rook endgame.
Other Endgames with Material Imbalances
Rook vs. Bishop
- 4/17/10 Basic ending: Rook vs. Bishop 13:15 Kamus The basic position. A pawnless king and rook vs. king and bishop position.
Rook vs. Knight
General Endgame Topics
- 10/10/07 Creating a winning ending 9:27 An excellent discussion of endgame planning.
- 2/17/09 Van Perlo's Fireworks 17:12 Endgame tactics! Great fun.
- 10/1/07 Beautiful Endgame Combination 8:57 More endgame tactics.
- 4/6/08 KingsBlade Ending Winning or?! 23:51 Our members discuss a complicated endgame between two forum members. The evaluation of the starting position is a matter of debate.
- 7/31/08 endgame oversight never resign! 8:04 Good advice: keep fighting!
- 11/21/07 Heavy Pieces 30:00 Great discussion of heavy pieces in the endgame.
- 8/4/08 Endgame Misadventures 51:53 Premium video, limited preview.
- 5/19/07 Book Club: Endgame Manual Pt. 1 19:18 Discussion of the first part of Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual. Part of the ChessVideos.TV book club. Mostly discussion of pawn endings.
- 8/16/08 Endgame Defense 40:29 A discussion of defending difficult endgames, very useful for improving players. Premium video, limited preview.
These videos discuss endgame compositions that often highlight critical endgame ideas. These positions are both beautiful and instructive.
- 7/30/08 An Introduction to Endgame Studies 51:53 FM Dennis Monokroussos provides an overview of the endgame study genre. Premium video, limited preview.