View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:42 pm

[ 12 posts ] 
whiskeytown - Analyzing the Soltis way [32:10] 
Video Manager

whiskeytown - Analyzing the Soltis way [32:10]
Poster: whiskeytown
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800) | Videos Made: 164
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (1)

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Zibbit, kamus, Slicri

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 pm
King

Rating: 1640
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
 Re: whiskeytown - Analyzing the Soltis way [32:10]
I want to point out this is a video more about HOW to analyze games - (using a method by Andy Solits in "Studying Chess Made Easy" and not an independent analysis of a particular game

The game is game 7 from "The Most Instructive Games of Chess ever played" - so I want to give credit to that where it's due

RB

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:44 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Hey Whiskey! Good video and this is a good way to study.

Just some quick points;
First it's called the Maroczy (Ma-rock-zy) Bind, named after Geza Maroczy.

In your 1st and 2nd run something that Chernev probably failed to mention in the game notes is that today the trade of queens that robs Black from castling is not bad for Black at all provided there is a pawn structure like in the game, you will notice that Black has a pawn on c7 (giving the king a nice home on c7) and this pawn takes away the b5 and d5 squares away from any White knight checks. The luxury here is that the Black king is safe as can be in a queenless middlegame and he can concentrate on improving his other pieces, i.e., along the d-file as in the game. I didn't know the 'Why' to this for many years of chess experience until about 10 years ago when Lev Altounian explained it to me! Since then I've used it a ton of times against scholastic players who were always eager to get my queen off the board - with great success I might add.

The tactical shot in this game (...Rd3+) was a means to a positional goal - the eventual trade of pieces via the weakened b3 square. White's advance of the central pawns so rapidly just hastened his demise.

When you looked at the game the 3rd time you mentioned the move Nc3 where Black pinned and White had to play f3 to defend the e-pawn allowing the doubling of the c-pawns. That seemed to baffle you a bit. When I run into these types of positions I break everything down in the position to MST+Q. You can memorize the acronym easy enough but what it means is Material, Space, Time and Quality of pieces (the last one Kasparov always stressed as being very important as MST was known for a long time already). Material is easy enough to understand, Space is a bit more complicated, you literally have to count all the squares that you own versus what your opponent owns - if you come out Plus 1 you have a space advantage. Time is the third element and this is best done by not counting what each player has developed, but how long will it take them to complete their development (usually when the king has castled or found safety and connected the rooks), if you have a lead here you have an advantage in time. Lastly, quality of pieces, this is difficult for class players to get their heads around, but sometimes a knight is worth more than a rook if it sits on a certain key square (for example; say you are White, there are two open files, the c and e files but you have a pawn on e5 and you can land a knight on d6 [controlling the squares Black needs to contest the open files, i.e. c8 and e8]. The reverse of the quality issue is you have all your pieces posted as well as they can be but you have one undeveloped piece, you develop it somewhere to improve it's quality.

Now, what do you do with this information you just went through? There are two sides to each of these items:
Material: If you have the advantage you want to trade pieces, if you are on the dark side of this coin, you want to avoid piece trades and look to trade pawns if possible or to complicate matters so that though you may have a material deficit you can gain advantages in other areas (Time, Space or Quality)

Space: If you have space you want to find a way to gain even more space and avoid piece trades. Flip side, if you have less space you want to trade pieces and seek more space. If you cannot gain more space, the trade of pieces will may your position less congested.

Time: If you have the advantage in time you need to attack, or at least find some way to wrest the initiative. Why? Because time is fleeting, it almost never lasts very long. If you are behind in time you want to develop effectively, in other words find places for your pieces where they will serve the most purpose and not allow your opponent to knock them around if possible (at least not unless he has to make a concession to do so).

Quality: If we follow the example of the N on d6 I gave above, if you are on the short end of the stick you might want to plop a rook on c8 or e8 hoping for the trade of your rook for his powerful knight. Conversely, if you are the guy with the proud knight and the opponent's rook comes on to the chopping block, you might want to think long and hard before giving up the knight for the rook, after all, doesn't that knight on that square also hit the pawn on f7 in most cases? Isn't the knight able to spring to f5 to help in a possible attack? These are the difficult questions you need to ask yourself with regards to Quality.

If you remember the recipe of MST+Q and quickly assess the game as it proceeds you will quickly get a better feel for the games you are looking at. When you play a game you almost have an inner sense of these things, but when studying it is important to take a break and actually figure these things out numerically. I use this technique with every article I write, video I post or comment that I post in live game chats.

Also, the Quality of pieces was important in this game. Black played ...Nd7 to play ...Bc5 to rid White of his best minor piece, the dark squared bishop. The coup de grace of piece quality was the kings at the end - poetic justice!

Good video. I just wanted to give you some tools that you may or may not have know about.

BTW: if you like queenless middle games like this where piece quality is a big factor, look at my video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvSMyfuK ... n_r_GDCiQw Unfortunately my CVTV uploader and the uploader on my dashboard have not allowed me to post any videos here on CVTV :( so I have been posting them on youtube. You can also find links to my blogs on chess.com by going to www.uschessleague.com

Keep 'em coming and stay warm!

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm
King

just for the heck of it - let's post the pgn - (from www.chessgames.com)

[Event "Rosas"]
[Site "Rosas"]
[Date "1935.??.??"]
[EventDate "?"]
[Round "?"]
[Result "0-1"]
[White "Rafael Domenech"]
[Black "Salomon Flohr"]
[ECO "B40"]
[WhiteElo "?"]
[BlackElo "?"]
[PlyCount "60"]

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.c4 Nc6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Nf6 6.Nxc6 dxc6
7.Qxd8+ Kxd8 8.f3 e5 9.Be3 Kc7 10.a3 Nd7 11.Nd2 a5 12.Be2 a4
13.Kf2 Bc5 14.Bxc5 Nxc5 15.Rac1 Be6 16.Rhd1 Rhd8 17.Ke3 Rd7
18.g3 Rad8 19.f4 exf4+ 20.gxf4 Rd3+ 21.Bxd3 Rxd3+ 22.Kf2 Bg4
23.e5 Bxd1 24.Rxd1 Ne6 25.f5 Nd4 26.f6 gxf6 27.exf6 Nb3 28.Ke2
Rxd2+ 29.Rxd2 Nxd2 30.Kxd2 Kd6 0-1

Chernev did point out the trade of queens wasn't an issue really - I guess to me it feels like draw central - of course, Black generally is happy with that - LOL

I don't recall ALL my analysis - but it's hoped that I learned more as I went along - I just went thru the game again on a whim and found it easy to remember most of the positional reasons for the moves - the fact that I didn't think about trading into a king and pawn endgame when there were 6 pawns, but the idea that a couple loosening moves by the knight makes it viable is one of those things that can stick with you for awhile

and yah, I'm probably more used to exchange variations without that nice c6/e6 Scandinavian/Caro-Kann pawn structure - it sure didn't hurt him here

RB

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:28 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Good Job, WT!

Steve- we have to resolve this somehow! Your valuable contributions are greatly missed. I could give you some ftp info, set up a SteveFarmer2 acct and repost them if you wish or if you have another idea we could do that.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:31 am
King

sfarmer29 wrote:
First it's called the Maroczy (Ma-rock-zy) Bind, named after Geza Maroczy.

According to Wiki, it's actually [ˈmɒroːtsi], with a rolled r, long o and "tsee" at the end.

Found this Audio version as well.

And I'd love to see your videos back on CVTV, hopefully you and kamus can work something out!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:32 am
King

on that note, I've had a lot of issues uploading - the web uploader times out - and it seemed like the old uploader would time out but this time it uplaoded pretty easy

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:01 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Yeah, I don't know what's going on. I'll dig out my old computer and see if I can upload from that. That's the system I used in the past. I should also try some shorter videos as a test.

Loved the video Whiskey and I'd like to see more.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:35 pm
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
Thanks for the video. I'm not a huge fan of this method, as I seriously doubt it is useful. The method just leads to confirmation analysis. The book notes to this game you used were purely descriptive and lacked any insight. The annotator did little better than describing someone having their photograph taken and pointing out that a camera was used.

We are all limited by what we know, which is why I doubt this method.

You can be sure that Soltis did such work in a group and not on his own. The problem is that you need to be a strong player already, or have someone with you who will challenge your statements and the book.

A computer given enough time can point out some mistakes, but it cannot teach strategy or tell you anything in words. Regarding strategy, computers can be very harmful as they will suggest very often really bad moves. Trust them for tactics but be sceptical about everything else.

Too many books simply annotate a game by result.

I suggest that you need a much better book. You must also rate your choices somehow, and find someone else who will go over the same game(s), so you can compare and be critical of each others choices and evaluations. I see no reason this could not be done in video format.

Please remember, even two GMs will suggest moves to each other in analysis which each other did not see, that's why they do it!

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:32 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Pobble wrote:
Thanks for the video...

I suggest that you need a much better book. You must also rate your choices somehow, and find someone else who will go over the same game(s), so you can compare and be critical of each others choices and evaluations. I see no reason this could not be done in video format. ...

That is a unique idea you have Pobble!

If anybody wants to select a game to study I can do a video (the Scorpions are out of the play off picture so I will have time in about two weeks). I figure it this way, you select a game that has baffled you, or, that you just simply want explained in a simplified manner, I can then make a video and be wide in comments of different candidate moves or alternate paths. In the meanwhile you study the game yourself and make detailed notes so that when I post the video you can compare notes. If there is something that I do not cover in the video we can address it in the forum chat or by a follow-up video for clarification.

If you're up for it, I am. But you have to promise to put the work into it for it to pay off.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:48 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

whiskeytown wrote:
on that note, I've had a lot of issues uploading - the web uploader times out - and it seemed like the old uploader would time out but this time it uplaoded pretty easy

One thing I have discovered is that if the title of your video is too long, the site will reject it without notification. Furthermore, even if you change the title but otherwise upload the same video, the site will reject it. The key is to modify the file somehow by either adding or subtracting time. Don't ask me how I found all this out- suffice it to say, I'm out some serious money for bottles of aspirin. :shock:

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:03 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

sfarmer29 wrote:
Pobble wrote:
Thanks for the video...

<snip>
If anybody wants to select a game to study I can do a video (the Scorpions are out of the play off picture so I will have time in about two weeks). I figure it this way, you select a game that has baffled you, or, that you just simply want explained in a simplified manner, I can then make a video and be wide in comments of different candidate moves or alternate paths. In the meanwhile you study the game yourself and make detailed notes so that when I post the video you can compare notes. If there is something that I do not cover in the video we can address it in the forum chat or by a follow-up video for clarification.

If you're up for it, I am. But you have to promise to put the work into it for it to pay off.

Great idea Pobble and Steve!- I hope people take advantage of this opportunity- I'm busy myself otherwise, I'd be tempted.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:06 pm
   [ 12 posts ]