View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 pm

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
katar - Chess Openings Program [14:59] 
Video Manager

katar - Chess Openings Program [14:59]
Poster: katar
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200) | Videos Made: 83
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (11)

Video Tags: chess position trainer free openings repertoire software

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: guiariel

Fri May 16, 2008 7:36 pm
Pawn

Re: katar - Chess Openings Program [14:59]
Very nice video! This will help me and many others with learning openings. Maybe you should have done a quick maybe 1 minute run through of how to make the PGN for people that don't know how, though. I liked the music, it added a nice touch. :)

Fri May 16, 2008 9:12 pm
Rook

Amazing video! Thank you very much. I have not ever really studied openings mostly because I never had an effective way to do it before. Now, I do!

Edit:

I used Chessmaster 9000's database of 500,000+ games to export all of the common replies to 1.c4 in pgn format and then loaded them into Chess Position Trainer and I have already begun to train with the English opening. I haven't been this excited about anything involving chess ever!

Last edited by Bullrock on Sat May 17, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 17, 2008 6:10 am
King

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Thanks katar, it really helped me :)
Now I just need to find a PGN file with reliable moves in several openings... Using Fritz 11 + ICOfY base + filtering (on moves and average rating) should do.

Sat May 17, 2008 6:37 am
Endgame Virtuoso

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
:thumleft:

Sat May 17, 2008 7:00 am
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Nice vid. I've moved it to the "Other Chess Videos" forum where I think it's better placed.

Sat May 17, 2008 3:29 pm
Pawn

Just a few quick questions...I have this program and I love it. You, however, seem much more advanced in it's use and this brings me to my questions:

1. If you pick a specific player, like Tal, and d/l all of their games, how do you seperate their games into their playing white or black, sp that you end up with a database of all their white openings and all their black responses...I hope I asked this correctly.

2. Once you start a sub-repertoire of say the English Opening, how did you have the program look for say , the Sicilian, from the same original database? That section of how you split all the openings into the various ECO's confused me, or maybe I just did not follow it correctly.

I go to a site that has a small database of each individual ECO...I.E. A00. I download it and make a sub database of about 200 games and load it into CPT under the name A00. This seems to work well, but unfortunately, I saw in your video that you can limit the number of moves you want the program to copy..I.E. I believe you used 29 half moves. I did not know about that and the program ran all the moves in each of the games, therefore I limited my number of games loaded to about 200, otherwise it took hours to load into CPT.

Anyway, thanks again for the great video, I learned a few things about CPT. Please try to answer the few questions I posted as this will help me a lot.

Thanks...BR

Sat May 17, 2008 6:08 pm
King

Bishoprook wrote:
Just a few quick questions...I have this program and I love it. You, however, seem much more advanced in it's use and this brings me to my questions:

1. If you pick a specific player, like Tal, and d/l all of their games, how do you seperate their games into their playing white or black, sp that you end up with a database of all their white openings and all their black responses...I hope I asked this correctly.

You can use any database to filter the games and then export a specific PGN. Chess Assistant, Chessbase, SCID (which I use), and ChessDB are a few popular database softwares.

An even easier way is with Chessgames.com. You have to purchase a year-long subscription from them for the ability to download PGN collections, but it is not a bad value for their features.

E.G., here is Tal playing white against Sicilian:
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=14380

You can click "White wins (1-0)" at the bottom for Tal's victories against the Sicilian, then click PGN DOWNLOAD to get the games. You could create a TAL VS SICILIAN repertoire and have Najdorf, Dragon, Taimanov etc as subrepertoires. Of course, a better way to attempt to emulate Tal is to study LIfe & Games and Attacking With Mikhail Tal!!!!!

Bishoprook wrote:
2. Once you start a sub-repertoire of say the English Opening, how did you have the program look for say , the Sicilian, from the same original database? That section of how you split all the openings into the various ECO's confused me, or maybe I just did not follow it correctly.

I go to a site that has a small database of each individual ECO...I.E. A00. I download it and make a sub database of about 200 games and load it into CPT under the name A00. This seems to work well, but unfortunately, I saw in your video that you can limit the number of moves you want the program to copy..I.E. I believe you used 29 half moves. I did not know about that and the program ran all the moves in each of the games, therefore I limited my number of games loaded to about 200, otherwise it took hours to load into CPT.

Not sure what the question is here. (?) I think watching or re-watching might help more than any words i can put here... Before doing the "SPlit into 2", you have to put the new sub-repertoire position on the display board.

Yes, you definitely MUST limit the number of moves to be imported, or it will indeed take many hours. Maybe 29 half moves is even too many, you could perhaps use 21 half moves. For some openings like Najdorf Poison Pawn, this approach can work wonders. But for some strategical openings this process can be inefficient and not very productive. So you have to adapt your approach to your particular skill level, and your particular openings. The lower your rating, the more percent of time you should spend on tactics.

Sat May 17, 2008 11:52 pm
King

[quote="JoshSpecht"]Nice vid. I've moved it to the "Other Chess Videos" forum where I think it's better placed.[/quote]

I did not figure out how to upload to that forum...

Also, the /quote/ code is not working for me. (?)

Or maybe i am just not so tech-savvy after all.

Sat May 17, 2008 11:57 pm
King

Rating: 2202
Rating Class: National Master
Verrrrrry interesting, I like it. Actually..., I'm going to download it right now.

Sun May 18, 2008 2:14 pm
Pawn

How did you get the person's pgn files for the games?

Oh, and I liked the opening software. Thanks for the video!

Mon May 19, 2008 11:42 am
King

[quote="Dragon"]How did you get the person's pgn files for the games? [/quote]

You can use any database to filter the games and then export a specific PGN. Chess Assistant, Chessbase, SCID (which I use), and ChessDB are a few popular database softwares.

An even easier way is with Chessgames.com. You have to purchase a year-long subscription from them for the ability to download PGN collections, but it is not a bad value for their features.

E.G., here is Tal playing white against Sicilian:
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=14380

You can click "White wins (1-0)" at the bottom for Tal's victories against the Sicilian, then click PGN DOWNLOAD to get the games. You could create a TAL VS SICILIAN repertoire and have Najdorf, Dragon, Taimanov etc as subrepertoires. Of course, a better way to attempt to emulate Tal is to study LIfe & Games and Attacking With Mikhail Tal!!!!!

Mon May 19, 2008 2:49 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)

Last edited by KingsBlade on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 21, 2008 4:13 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

What was the music playing in the background? It sounded pretty good.

Sat May 24, 2008 6:35 pm
King

clwilliams wrote:
What was the music playing in the background? It sounded pretty good.

that song is called "ANESTHETIZE" by a band called PORCUPINE TREE.

Sun May 25, 2008 1:08 am
   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next