View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:46 am

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
JoshSpecht - Opening Analysis: Hubsch def. vs. BDG [14:36] 
Rook

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 Re: JoshSpecht - Opening Analysis: Hubsch def. vs. BDG [14:36]
kamus wrote:
Well Josh hasn't responded to my question yet. Of course, the reality is that he now realizes that there is no bust to the BDG and he can't bring himself to face that horrible fact! :cyclopsani:

Or maybe he's just busy :wink:

I am really surprised that not many people are aware of the fact GM Gary Kasparov has played the BDG albeit via transposition in a simul back in Brazil 2004. He totally crushed Black with this line...and I'm curious to know why he or anybody else at the GM level don't use this. I would love to see how GM Kramnik would respond to the BDG if someone like GM Morozevich played it as White.

Needless to say it's unfortunate the BDG doesn't get opening coverage in "official channels" like regular opening books. Surprisingly though...there is a chess opening book which DOES cover the BDG...and it's published by New In Chess called Chess Opening Essentials.

I'm aware that certain GMs have trashed this book series but I found it refreshing to even mention the BDG. Granted...not many people as White will bother playing the BDG unless they're fanatics about this opening and study the obscure books on it. Surprisingly though...Everyman Chess Publishers is coming out with a book on the BDG! I did a search on Amazon.com and it's listed for publishing later this year or in 2010 I can't be sure. I'm definitely getting that book when it gets published.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:49 pm
Pawn

Rating: 2000
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
@ 6:31 the position is def. better for white , simply because white is better developed and has 2 active pieces. Black has none.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:22 am
Pawn

Rating: 1800
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
kamus wrote:
Well Josh hasn't responded to my question yet. Of course, the reality is that he now realizes that there is no bust to the BDG and he can't bring himself to face that horrible fact! :cyclopsani:

Or maybe he's just busy :wink:

Hey kamus
You might want to check out "Shopping for a Tombstone"
http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_bits_ ... mbt_2.html
BEfore you get too cocky aboutthe BDG being "unbustable"

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:03 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Sorry Straybullet- I really wasn't trying to be cocky- I was trying to be (lamely) funny. I actually think the BDG is pretty unsound, for the record. I play it as a "fun" opening but due to some spectacular losses, wouldn't dream of using it serious play.
Sometimes tone is awkward to convey in a web post. :) Thanks for the link too though I've actually read Silman's article and agree with his analysis.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:02 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
 Re: JoshSpecht - Opening Analysis: Hubsch def. vs. BDG [14:3
An oldie but still a goodie! :D I came by to brush up, since I recently found myself on the Black side of a BDG for the first time ever. I couldn't remember this video well enough, so all I could do was take the pawn and do my best to spoil White's fun. Turns out it didn't matter, since the Hubsch Defense doesn't work with the 1.d4 d5 move order. Still the refresher was quite valuable nonetheless. A true classic CVTV greatest hit.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 pm
   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2