View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 pm

[ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
places to play chess online 
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
 Re: places to play chess online
I just found out that you can't delete your account on chesscube. A dubious policy, to say the least.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:40 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Hey Ketchuplover, I'm looking for places for my two young daughters (8 and 9) to play online. They play at around 600-800 USCF (!) and we haven't found a decent place for them to play. Yahoo has a social/beginners set of rooms but they are frequently dominated by clearly non-beginners trolling for easy marks plus there is a lot of cheating and bad language there to boot. Chesscube has a rating floor of 1000 so the players there are a little too tough for them at the moment, though probably not for too long. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. Also, thanks for continuing to update this thread. :)

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 am
Rook

any places that allow free multiple accounts? I want to do something like curtains does, using different openings on a different account so that I can have those games in the same place and track my rating progress under the same site as I learn new openings

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:07 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

All you need are multiple email accounts and you can play on any free site. If you (or anyone else) needs email addresses, I can set up unlimited emails for free- PM me if I can help.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:18 pm
Rook

I know FICS and chess.com supposedly ban second accounts using IP

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:33 pm
Rook

Traveled around with a few sites, thought I might give some feedback of the ones I've tried.

Favorites:

1. Internet Chess Club: One of my personal favorites, but it costs money so I no longer play there. It has players of all strengths pretty much whenever you want. The best part is the entertainment value. Who doesn't want to watch Naka and other top GMs duke it out in blitz? Chess.Fm and the live coverage commentary are amazing entertainment as well. There are also teachers you can hire to teach you, which is a nice bonus. The events are pretty awesome too but the old awesome simul givers are getting fewer. Honestly however, most of the resources on ICC can be compiled elsewhere for free, so use judgement whether or not you want to pay. This is really only for live chess, correspondence doesn't work well.

2. Free Internet Chess Server: Again, for live chess. When it comes to free, this is my go to website. It is very similar to ICC in its formatting. While it lacks events, the play there is almost identical to the play on ICC. It may take a little longer to find a game, but there are fairly strong players that play there. You won't get the same entertainment value as ICC however since there are no GMs playing blitz all day and there are fewer events. For standard enthusiasts, you'll be happy to know there ST Bunch is also on FICS as well as ICC!

3. Chess.com: This is probably the best website for correspondence chess. Lots of players and lots of features. I use the live chess as well and while I do prefer FICS because it fits my style more, Chess.com offers a perfect place to play online without download. There are lots of players there too and the occasional master. I've heard rumors about no cheater regulation, but I haven't noticed any huge problem yet. The other features make it superior to many other sites. If you pay for diamond membership, you get access to AMAZING instructional videos from top players (almost as good as chessvideos.tv ;) )

4. Chess Cube: It's a great site for live chess. Again there is no download necessary and there are plenty of players, some fairly strong, but it seems like the peak strength is a bit weaker than on some of the other sites. The overall usage is very simple and intuitive, but the ads and point system game limit requirements are annoying. It uses a currency and asks you to pay for full membership a lot.

5. ChessManiac: A nice free site for correspondence. The live chess isn't great, but the correspondence and team matches are great. There are lots of features and friendly players willing to help, making a nice atmosphere. There are fewer players and there are cheaters though. There aren't too many masters around either.

Fair:

1. Chesshere: I think there was a game limit....don't remember exactly.
2. GameKnot: I just never picked it up much. I can't really give it a fair evaluation. It's all correspondence chess and there are limits to play.

Disliked:

Caissa

The rest I probably haven't tried. Hope this helps somebody :)

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 pm
Rook

Won't be playing on chesscube anymore, my opponent disconnected/reconnected and ran down his clock and then _I_ lost on time. :?:

Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:44 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I've also had that happen on chesscube too. :evil:

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:36 pm
Pawn

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
How long is chessplayground out?

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:42 am
King

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
schemingmind.com is offering a free one year membership to plasticbishop.com members with gold accounts (as of 7-1-2013)

Sat May 11, 2013 5:20 pm
King

Please visit http://www.pocket-monkey.com Thank you

<edited by kamus>

Sun May 12, 2013 10:48 am
King

chesshere.com appears to be for sale

Mon May 13, 2013 5:08 am
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
History erased??

Mon May 13, 2013 5:18 am
King

chessmaniac.com apparently has a new playing interface

Sat May 18, 2013 1:46 pm
King

chessmaniac.com is raising the subscription fee on new subscribers on June 1,2013

Sun May 26, 2013 6:00 am
   [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next