View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:11 pm

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
curtains chess videos 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
 Re: curtains chess videos
I am glad RAU started this because I also feel that the site has been developing into too much of a pay-site although it's current state is still far from being a complete pay site obviously.
Actually, I don't have anything new to add but I was just remembering the times where the community voluntarily donated stuff to support curtains with his beloved chocolate and collected money to make dennis produce a new vid. I think these times were awesome.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:59 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
Ok I've decided what to do about the old videos. While making those videos, quite often I said that I appreciated comments from viewers. So I will try to see if we can make all of the CTV archives (from before L540) completely free for all people who have made at least ten total comments in my video threads (starting from before today of course!). I feel that those who commented added to the fun and discussion, and as such I don't want them to have to pay for the old material. Those who just watched and never left any comments, or commented one or two times maximum in hundreds of videos, well I'm not particularly concerned if they now have to pay to watch.

That is what I'd like at least, hopefully admin will be able to orchestrate it.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:55 pm
Founder
Founder

Rating: 1300
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
That would be:

curtains 730
fhl 260
kamus 201
katar 115
minkrat 105
Hitchhiker 103
figrock 98
Maple Stevens 97
TheEnterprise 83
Violence 81
JWhis 81
RAU4ever 77
Zigg 76
cropduster 75
fonz 72
Zibbit 72
blacksburg 63
Flea 63
flashrhyme 63
yoyowusup 59
Tacto 57
clwilliams 53
Rebel Yell 52
philwillb 52
cowpig 51
DandyDanD 51
comface 50
sfarmer29 49
wetpaste 48
JoshSpecht 48
Malfurion 42
Headcrunch 40
emstrem 39
EGarrett 38
Stockton 37
pastordavid 36
Iameatingmyself 36
exigentsky 36
d-man 35
Spence 35
bebopbrain 33
vkoy 32
Hiddie 31
imagrandmaster 30
gentlewhisper 29
dutto 29
jmillerdls 29
Cream147 28
beaglefloppy 27
Warcloud 27
mc4chess 26
HorseyTakesCastle 26
herrahuu 25
Drahacik 25
Theriot 24
REUBENROBUSTO 24
biike 23
dciace 23
haggismcbean 22
pinkboat 22
BANJO 22
augelmo 22
kerryvv 21
knightmoves420 21
Stappy 20
Fabian 19
gooeyjim 19
david002 19
studentofchess 18
XFrame 18
Meekrab 18
ccmolitoris 18
wintermute 17
Schumi 17
jvspree 17
plapla 16
eimaj 16
Avrah 15
detroitman 15
slouch 15
mcurtis 15
hundirector 15
lenin3 15
Kox 15
GiantChessticles 14
kobesarmy 14
admin 14
elizabeth 14
sniper290 14
STPX0083 13
jbeaty 13
Compulsory 13
bballplayer3212 12
chessdiverdave 12
Spree K 11
devilant 11
Freedom 11
Chemlab187 11
baris 11
tuggernongy 11
joshbandyface 11
Calm 10
Neo 10
superpatrol 10
Aldrian 10

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:11 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
damn you are fast. Sounds good to me! Congrats on making the list admin. Do you think such a thing will be easily possible? fhl and kamus put everyone to shame.

Also I have to admit that it's very easy to get confused between kamus and katar. Two prolific commenters, both with 5 letter names beginning with K!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 pm
Rook

@RAU (after seeing the rant video and checking out this thread) & in general:

Nobody is holding a gun to your head.
Greg does not owe anybody anything.
You wouldn't be pissed off about it if it wasn't actually worth it to pay for it.
If you can afford an internet subscription and a computer you can afford this. (Get real: this is not expensive.)
Are you living on water and bread? If not: why are you paying for "luxuries"?
Greg is an all around good guy.
Even if his motivations in your opinion are dubious, even if he does not need the money, ultimately that is irrelevant.
Oh and he gives to charity: do you give to charity?

On a more corny note: I have not been watching these videos primarily to become a stronger chess player (although it is unavoidable to learn something), but because they make me happy.

But if it's not worth it to you: don't pay; it's not the end of your life.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:35 pm
Knight

BKildahl wrote:
And 'ludacris' is a rapper. =P

lol
noticed that too.
valid points on RAU's part, however, i'm with curtains on this.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:05 pm
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Let the records show that 42, my number of comments, is also the answer to everything. Coincidence? I think not. Thanks for the love to your commenters, Greg.
Your loyal @$$hole,
Malfurion :)

Edit: For those of you complaining that it's only entertainment, and not "real" chess material, think back of all the times you've blown $20 or $30 on a random CD/DVD/Blu-ray disc. That's paying for entertainment, even if you aren't getting any "real" cinematography knowledge from it. In comparison, 30 bucks will get you about 60 curtains videos. That's around 10 hours of entertainment at the bare minimum, given each video is only 10 minutes long (most are usually around 15-20). So basically, you can either buy The Hangover on blu-ray (great movie, btw), and get maybe 2 viewings out of it ~3 hours..or comparing the utility you get, and pay 30 bucks for about 400% of the enjoyment time from greg's videos. Worst case scenario, you don't pay for them, and you still get to watch a couple of videos a month for free anyways, which is more than he had been posting this past year anyways. QQ.

Last edited by Malfurion on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:22 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Greg is obviously going out of his way to accommodate many of the concerns raised here. I really appreciate his generous spirit- and yes, if you want to to see just "immoral" he is, just check out his charity blog at www.gregshahade.com. Yeah, and what Malfurion said.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:28 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: No rating
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
The original reason why I registered on chessvideos.tv was to thank Curtains for posting videos (Dec. 1, 2007: 34. curtains vs jaw[IM]).

I haven't had much passion for chess lately and to be honest I'm not sure if it's going to come back anytime soon.

That said, I still plan on shelling out credits every now and then to watch a Curtain's commentary.

My subscription to the website supports chessvideostv and Josh and the admin's hard work. I didn't go off and download a bunch of Curtains videos over the past 3 years and I am very gracious that Curtain's enabled me to still view his archives. At the end of the day I feel like they're his videos, not mine. He can anything he wants with them.

To close, my main reason for being here is Zibbit and Curtains. Every now and then there is something incredible like Katar's e4 e5 series or some helpful analysis from RAU, calm, armis, etc.

Image courtesy of Bradu of the UG!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:47 pm
Pawn

As someone who has been here since Curtains posted his first video, I would like to express my own opinion.

First of all, I came here from a poker forum, as a poker pro who just happened to play chess. Greg's videos made me into a chess enthusiast. Furthermore, I personally believe this site would not be anywhere today if not for his contributions, so I definitely believe he deserves to be compensated.

However, I do not feel comfortable paying cv.tv directly. No offense, but the only reason I come to this site is for these videos and for a select few others like Dennis and Zibbit, and I do not want to pay $10/month when only a small percentage of that goes to Greg. If I misunderstand the way the credits system works, please enlighten me, but I believe the revenue should be distributed primarily to the author of the video. I would feel comfortable spending $10/month on Greg's videos, for example, if Greg received at least 90% of that. Somehow, I doubt the real number is anywhere close.

I know a few people who make a full-time job out of maintaining a YouTube channel. Who pays for those videos? Advertisers, not users. Furthermore, some people just create their own site and host paid videos there. In this case, users pay, but the author receives 100% of all revenue. There are a lot of better ways to do this. cv.tv is a nice site, but truthfully, I maintained a community with more users than this, and it is not all that difficult. The video authors are what make the site great, and therefore Greg deserves all of the money from his own work. Until there is a way for me to be sure that Greg is getting his due share from this credit system, I don't believe I will be spending any money to fuel the greed of others lurking behind the scenes.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:44 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Thanks for your opinion. You needn't worry though- as Admin explains here, Greg will be receiving the lion's share of the credits. The premium membership money goes to the site.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:25 am
Pawn

That is good to know, and it does make me feel better in regards to that particular point. It should probably be displayed more prominently, perhaps in the first post of the FAQ, so that everybody knows where their money is going.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 am
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Thought I'd weigh in on a few things:

admin and I both have full-time jobs and CV.TV is something we do because:

a) We both love chess. In fact, one of the things that makes me happiest about CV.TV is how addicted it's gotten admin to the game.

b) We want to provide an awesome site/service. We like having LOTS of users, but even more, we like having lots of HAPPY users.

I know there are a lot of concerns about whether this is becoming a full-pay site etc, but I promise you this is not what is going on and admin and myself believe that measures like video credits and premium membership are tools to help make CV.TV awesome. We go to huge lengths to ensure loads of free content for people. Does any other chess site have ALL their premium videos free for the first month they're posted? This might even cut down on the number of premium sign-ups, but we did it because we wanted to keep providing free content.

curtains is the best live chess commentator on the internet, hands down. Nobody disputes the entertainment value of his videos and anybody who disputes the educational value of his videos is crazy. In my book, finding a way to have curtains post more videos is good for ChessVideos.TV, good for internet chess, and good for YOUR chess.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:18 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1507
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
I don't begrudge Greg any money he makes from these PPV videos. He's posted a huge number of games for free for years so I think it's wrong to label him greedy if he needs some money to motivate him to do more. With the old videos free to anyone who who took the time to give some feedback on them and a free one every 10 days, there are a decent number of curtains videos available to most of us (certainly far more than the last few months).

My only concern is the idea that the site might go down this route for more and more videos. If curtains can get paid for his videos, why not Zibbit or Calm or Steve Farmer? Or everyone I've offended by not mentioning them. :P If it's just curtains' videos that end up on PPV, I don't really see a problem as he wasn't posting any for ages before anyway but if it was to creep across more and more of the site I think it would definitely impact on the community feel of the site.

That's my 2c (8% of a credit :)).

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:33 am
Rook

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
I couldn't find my name on the highest commenters list.....

I was very sad.

Then I found it!

I am now VERY HAPPY.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:02 pm
   [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next