View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:45 pm

[ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
places to play chess online 
King

Rating: 1230
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
 places to play chess online
so far I have played on FICS and yahoo. I use to play on chess.net years ago, before it went to a pay site. I have seen some site in teh vidoes ICC being one of them. are there others?

what software /site are the decent ones. I hate to pay for a site full of nonsense or crappy software.

TIA,
Dewetha.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:38 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
 Re: places to play chess online
These days I'm pretty much a correspondence chess player, and I really like playing on chess.com, which has free memberships -- though I think you get good value for the money for the various levels of premium membership. They have a Live Chess area, but I've never tried it. There is no software to download since the entire site is browser based (even the live chess area).

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:22 am
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
if you want to play live chess thse most well known places are FICS, Playchess and ICC.
FICS is completely free and we have a small CV.TV community there. Playchess requires payment, but you can get free memberships with certain chessbase products and they have a 6 month trial or something that you can basically sign up for with a different email adress every 6 months.
ICC also requires payment but it isn't expensive (especially if you're a student or kid) and has a one week trial.
ICC and FICS are very similar in interface, while that of playchess is completely different.
All three of these offer other things than just live chess, like puzzles, tournament coverage, chess news etc.
FICS is totally free, ICC has a lot of extra's, and playchess is very easy to use.
I would recommend to just go to their websites (by using google) and try them out for free.

If you want to play correspondence chess chess.com is the best imo. It is free, has a very lively community and have a great service. The premium memberships are also worth checking out. A lot of people on CV.TV play there and have a community set up there.
There are a few alternatives to chess.com. I know that gameknot.com also offers correspondence chess.

Hope that helped and good luck. Let us know where you're going to play.

edit: almost forgot. ICC and Playchess require software to be installed on your computer. FICS can be run browser based but using the software is recommended. chess.com and gameknot are completely browser based.

There are some alternative live chess websites where you can play browser based, but most of them aren't that good.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:40 am
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
There is also the ICC off shoot WCL, which is more for the average player than its mother site. For kids there is also chesscube, which is free.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:56 am
Knight

Rating Class: National Master
And you can play for free on playchess.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:12 am
Pawn

If you want to play 10 Minutes to 60 Minutes games I can recommend http://www.schacharena.de

You can simply play with your browser, no client needed.

But I play their only games with 30 Minutes or more. The reason is, that a move take 2-3 seconds at least cause of the fact that you play it with the browser. So it is often impossible to bring a won game to the end in < 1min.
But if you don't want to play 3+0 or 5+0 this is a great site.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:48 pm
King

A good correspondance site yet to be mentioned is www.RedHotPawn.com. This has a nice community as well as a lot of tournaments etc. There is also www.chessmaniac.com but I wouldn't really recommend it as there are a lot of jerks and it might spoil your enjoyment.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:50 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

I gave up on Red Hot Pawn because you can only have 6 games going at once unless you pay $40/year for premium access. I got tired of juggling multiple sites and I thought chess.com offered much more for the money. I will agree with Frenchie501 that RHP is a good place to play -- just not $40/year good.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:23 pm
Pawn

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
As a strictly CC player I'm not sure of real time sites, but for the money I think http://www.chessworld.net is by far the best. The best free site I've found is http://queenalice.com. For beginners, http://www.plasticbishop.com is not bad for free.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:43 pm
Rook

the chess.com live chess is actually pretty good if you just want a quick blitz game. lots of lower rated players on there, and a fairly obnoxious chat room.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 am
Pawn

Rating: 1488 FICS
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
I'm pretty satisfied with FICS. It meets my needs for daily chess playing. I've never had any major problems there. As for Chess.com I get a fair amount of disconnects in their live chess section and most players there play faster time controls. I usually prefer a 25-30 min. game per side. I subscribed to World Chess Live a few times but it seemed there weren't that many players there most of the time even though I liked the site's atmosphere.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:28 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1000
Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
scacchisti.it

It's an italian site, free of course.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:06 pm
Knight

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Some more not yet mentioned: ChessCube.com (really cool interface), GameKnot.com, and InstantChess.com.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1900
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Both chess.com and RHP do almost nothing to stop cheaters, so it's pretty much useless playing on either site. If you want correspondence games, get yourself a strong computer and go to IECG. If you want to play blitz games against human opponents, ICC is the only choice.

Chess.com probably is the worst choice: they claim to ban cheaters, but what they do is blackmail suspected engine users to buy membership on their site. Naturally, all the top 200 players there play exactly like Rybka. What a coincidence, isn't it? :)

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:12 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hi cotoi,

I've played a lot of games on chess.com and what you're saying doesn't jive with my experience. I've personally encountered exactly 1 cheater and they were so blatant about it you could hardly miss it. My turn-based rating has been as high as 2274 there, so it doesn't seem to be a problem up to that level of play -- which is something like 99% of the players. If you're a Class A in real life, then there really isn't much difference between the top players there and a chess engine anyway as far a practical results go, so who cares if the top guys all cheat against each other? It's not like it's relevant to you or me...

Further, an acquaintance of mine got banned on chess.com for cheating. I never played them, just chatted socially, so their banishment reallly surprised me and I was motivated to have a look at their games. I think the chess.com folks got that one right. It wasn't that their wins were spectacular -- it's that their losses were so awful. It's hard to imagine someone playing like an 800 at times and like an 1800 at times -- unless two people were sharing the account (which is also cheating there).

As for the rest, have you personally analyzed the games of the top 200 players? I'm sure a lot of the moves at that level are ones an engine would make, but that's because the top players there are a mix of OTB titled players and CC titled players -- and good players make good moves. That was the silly thing about Topalov accusing Kramnik of cheating (during Toiletgate) because Kramnik made 80% of Fritz's first choice moves. That's probably true of any top GM -- probably including Topalov (if anyone had bothered to check how often his moves matched Fritz's...). If someone were exclusively using Rybka on chess.com, it would be way too easy to catch them so that doesn't make sense. If they're enough on the ball to ban a 1300 like my acquaintance, surely they'd have an even easier time catching cheaters at the top levels.

L8erz...
=wild=

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:58 am
   [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next