View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:45 am

[ 5 posts ] 
One of my luckiest games so far 
King

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
 One of my luckiest games so far
After a few moves into this game, I realized my game is far behind, I found that I lost tons of tempos and pieces, however, my opponent's crucial mistake of f4 allows my to breakthrough
With the threats of Qc4+, Qxh7#, and Ne6, he gave up

Have to go to school now, I will be back for the analysis, in a few hours :)

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:05 am
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
 Re: One of my luckiest games so far
11.Bc1 What was the motivation behind this choice? Your line of thinking.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:47 am
King

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Let's do it from the start :)
I decided to go with the evan's gambit because i knew it is a very fun line for the opening to play, very aggressive, and just wanted to give it a shot since I do not play 1.e4 so often in my games.
for move 7.Ba3, which is believed was a mistake, my thinking was that trying to put on pressure on the square e7 and the a3-f8 diagonal, and was planning on exchanging the pawns in the middle. However, the flaw to this is that black's position was perfectly safe, there was no real threat to anything.

For move 11.Bc1 I retreated my bishop (notice I wasted 2 tempos to go to a3 and then back) because I did not want to exchange the bishops, i was down a pawn, and if I want to attack, I wanted to save resources for the attack. I was also hoping that he would take my pawn on e4 so I have open lines to attack from a diagonal, which he did capture.

I castled immediately and get ready to put rooks on the open d-file, preparing for attacks from b1-h7 diagonal. He tries to grab strong squares near the center for him, which I believe is the correct idea for him.

15...f5 was probably because he wants to stop all threats coming from c2 and d3, meanwhile I was trying to get the knight into the action. Then he plays c6, probably the idea of putting the queen on c7 and guard the pawn, but that allows me to play Nf3 freely which will be threatening in the future.

18.Be3 idea of trading off the bishop for the knight, my bishop is not doing anything but his knight is preventing my bishop going to d3 and also if I could put the knight on g5 without it being attacked, it would be quite a threat to him.

18...f4, I think this is a mistake, it opens lines for me to attack, especially the light squares, Ne4 was probably better, because i just could not do anything about it unless I retreat my knight and waste even more tempo, and it also puts more pieces in between the c2 and h7 diagonal, it will choke me quite a bit.

20...Bf5 I think that was the only move for him, if he goes Rf6 21.Qh7+ Kf8 22.Qh8+ wins a rook, but notice, the queen would be trapped after Bc8. Perhaps he could have tried that and play the game on with my queen completely trapped in a corner.

21.Bd3, putting more pressure on the diagonal. I do not know why he actually traded the bishops, maybe thinking it is best for him to swap off pieces, but he did not look in depth of what happens next. Not to mention the mating threat, I have 2 forking threats he has to look at: Qc4 and Ne6. Ignoring the checkmate, if he goes Qe7, the fork itself is unstoppable, or he could try Qb6 and counter-attack, but i mean, there is a checkmate threat. :o

The best move for him for move 21 as far as I see is g6, it stops everything, the attack from the diagonal, there was no fork with the king and the bishop using the queen, and the bishop stops the knight from forking the queen, the rook and the bishop. If i try to grab the bishop and then remove the defender, he can take the bishop with the rook, if I go Ne6, He can simply play Qe7 and my knight has to be exchanged and he has a winning endgame to look forward to.

I call this game very lucky for me because of the "almost-hopeless" position I had, down two pawns but somehow he made a chain of mistakes and allows me to turn the game around

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:50 am
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
You need to challenge your own thinking. After 11.Bc1 you got a rotten position. Your assessment is not bad but how should you have tackled the problem knowing what you do now?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
On move 7 instead of 7. Ba3?. you should play 7. dxe5! when white has at least equalized. Black's best reply is 7... Bg4 with tremendous complications. The main line continues 7. dxe5 Bg4 8. exd6! Qxd6 9. Qxd6! Bxd6 10. Nbd2 and surprisingly white's minor pieces will be better placed in all the mayhem.

Black will often err with 7... dxe5? and now 8. Qb3! and white is almost winning. Black has to continue 8... Kf8 9. Bxf7 Nf6 10. Nbd2 Na5 11. Qa4 and again, white is back to equal material with better development.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:39 pm
   [ 5 posts ]