View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:55 pm

[ 4 posts ] 
Creeping forward 
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 Creeping forward

It goes without saying that my opponent played the opening badly, allowing me to exchange my not-so-great b3 knight for his incredibly important dark squared bishop, leaving him with dark squared weaknesses the whole game. It was these holes on b6 and d6 that motivated the pawn sac, 10. a3 (which he declined). The idea isn't to win the queen, but to get a knight onto b6 with tempo. After that I would play to get a grip on d6, even at the expense of another pawn or two. With minor pieces on b6 and d6 he would be totally incapacitated, with both rooks and a bishop trapped on the back rank. Because of this, I think he was right not to take.

15. c3 is maybe unnecessary. The idea was to be able to play Qe1 without exchanging queens, but later on I found a much better way of bring the queen in.

The rest of the game I think he just didn't realise that my attack would come so quickly. That said I think 23. Bf7+ is inaccurate. He would have been better off to play Rxf7. I believe it's still winning for me, thanks to the idea of Rf3-h3, but it holds on a little longer than the game. I think quicker would have been for me to play Bxf8 first, and then continue with the same line as in the game - Bf7, Qg6.

Just sharing this game because I was happy with the way I slowly brought the pieces in towards the king.

Last edited by FlintEastwood on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:18 am
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
 Re: Creeping forward
Nice game. I don't think black played badly at all, so give yourself some extra credit.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:10 am
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Pobble wrote:
Nice game. I don't think black played badly at all, so give yourself some extra credit.

Really? I thought Qb6 was a positional blunder. If that's an actual theoretical variation I'm quite suprised!

Edit: Also, forgot to give the time control. It was 5 2

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 pm
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
Yes, Qb6 was wrong, but most of his moves were good. Likely there was something about chess he did not understand, with which you have now educated him.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:31 am
   [ 4 posts ]