View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:25 am

[ 3 posts ] 
Ash17485's Training Journal 
Pawn

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
 Ash17485's Training Journal
Hello Internet

I've been a fan of the website for a while but never posted anything. I've been attempting to teach myself to play chess for about five years but it's been very unorganized and irregularly scheduled that I don't think I've improved at all in that time. I now have a bit more free time then I did before and so I've finally decided to really focus and see what a few years of hard training will do to my chess playing.

I think one of the best ways to motivate myself is to use this to say what I'm going to do, and then say whether or not I have done it. I'm guessing a lot of this will just be me shouting at myself but you never know.

I played in my first USCF tournament last night. It was a 4 rounds open tournament. There were 10 competitors (including myself) with 7 of those having 1900+ ratings so most of the players were very strong. Luckily for me there was one player rated 1400 that I managed to beat in the second round otherwise I would have been 0 - 4

The first thing that I discovered in my game is that I find it very hard not to hang pieces. I don't know if it was nerves but I was giving stuff away all over the place. That is something I have to work on.

I think I'm weakest with tactics so that is what I'm going to work on the most. I'm going to try to do 20+ tactics a day, every day. Hopefully after a couple of months I will start to see an improvement in that area.

I'm also going to spend a lot of time analyzing my games. Looking for all my mistakes and working out where all my weaknesses are. I'll post all my analysis here and yell angrily at myself for all the hung pawns and minor pieces.

I also want to start regularly looking at master games and seeing what I can learn from them.

That's everything for now. I'll try to post at least once a week with updates and game analysis.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:40 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
 Re: Ash17485's Training Journal
Welcome and good luck with your training plan! Sounds sensible- we'll be watching :)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:55 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
 Re: Ash17485's Training Journal
Welcome :)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:21 am
   [ 3 posts ]