View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:44 pm

[ 10 posts ] 
kamus - Basman Returns Again: rnd 4 [14:26] 
Video Manager

kamus - Basman Returns Again: rnd 4 [14:26]
Poster: kamus
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800) | Videos Made: 241
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.33 (6)

Video Tags: Basil gambit Mike Basman St George Defense the Love Chicken Three Pawns Attack Unorthodox openings

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Fox, sfarmer29, liriodelagua, Sarciness, minkrat, Pobble

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
 Re: kamus - Basman Returns Again: rnd 4 [14:26]
False advertising! The Love Chicken hasn't been played for years, thought someone was brave enough to play it, but alas, no Love Chicken. Just wanted to point this out to others who thought the same way I did, but I guess that'd be too rare anyway.

Good vid of a crazy game, but hey, it's Basman!

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:35 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Ha!- you must be the only guy here (besides me and the NSA) that looks at the tags. BTW, because my brain is aging and rapidly calcifying, I did not realize that this is a seven round tournament so the next installment will not be "the exciting conclusion"- three more of these before I return to the world of normal chess.

These games are, of course, miles away from the quality of the World Championship games but the lesson here (I think) is that strength of play (at the sub-stratospheric level of play we mortals endure) is more important whatever opening is played. Top players are always disparaging non-mainline openings and, of course objectively speaking, they are correct. But practically speaking, that applies to them much more than us. I do feel it's important to know about all openings. Carlsen doesn't have to worry about facing the Grob or the Englund Gambit but most of the rest of us do and it behooves us to know something about them. I think that lots of players dismiss something like the Grob or the Borg (indeed, I'm one of them!) but Basman proves that none of these openings should be taken lightly lest you become a laughingstock for losing against a rubbish opening.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:33 am
King

kamus! I forgot to mention that I played the Grob last weekend in a club rapid tournament we played internally, three times even! Got a winning position in the first two games. The first one was straightforward and easy, in the second one I should've lost a piece early on (oops!), but after he missed it, I was again winning. Both guys (experts) chose a sensible setup with ..e5 and ..Ne7. I was improvising of course.

The third game was against an IM. Unfortunately, I can only remember it up to a point (it definitely started with 1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 c6 3. c4 dxc4). The opening was completely crazy. I sacrificed a pawn, later a piece (against his e5/f6 structure). I was able to win it back (had to give up my light-squared bishop, though). Anyway, I'm pretty sure at some point we had this exact position:

The engine thinks it's equal, but I didn't have much time left and my rook is a real pain, so I lost. Regardless, I had a lot of fun with the opening and.. now I'm worried?

Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:59 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Congrats on your near-victory!

You're worried? Why?

You are a brave man, Fox- I'll grant you that! I played the Grob years ago with mixed results- most of my wins were with 1. g4 d5 2.Bg2 Bxg4?!- the Bloodgood tactical way of playing. I never had much luck with Basman's 2.h3 and all my attempts with the Borg, 1...g5 led to disaster- I gave that up quickly! I've had a lot more luck with the St. George Defense , and I still keep it in my repertoire for rainy days- I may do a video on it sometime as I've been playing it for nearly 30 years.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:13 am
King

kamus wrote:
Congrats on your near-victory!

You're worried? Why?

You are a brave man, Fox- I'll grant you that! I played the Grob wears ago with mixed results- most of my wins were with 1. g4 d5 2.Bg2 Bxg4?!- the Bloodgood tactical way of playing. I never had much luck with Basman's 2.h3 and all my attempts withthe Borg, 1...g5 led to disaster- I gave that up quickly! I've had a lot more luck with the St. George Defense , and I still keep it in my repertoire for rainy days- I may do a video on it sometime as I've been playing it for nearly 30 years.

I think the St. George Defence is a safer choice for sure. I play it all the time in Blitz, usually via 1..e6 and 1..a6. The Grob is certainly a bit unhealthy from a positional standpoint and I'm worried that I will probably not be able to resist employing it in the future. ;) It's like an old ship cannon - it might do serious damage or just explode in your face. Although the likelihood of that is low enough in shorter time controls.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:45 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Fox wrote:
.... I'm worried that I will probably not be able to resist employing it in the future. ;) It's like an old ship cannon - it might do serious damage or just explode in your face. Although the likelihood of that is low enough in shorter time controls.

I see! :-) You're afraid of suffering my fate. I'm just about the poster child for the dangers of employing dubious openings. Don't let this tragedy happen to you!

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:03 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Let's also not forget the terrible lesson provided by viewtopic.php?t=10043

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:44 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
I agree with your thoughts on openings at our level. We have a strong player here in Tucson that is a fan of Basman but I think his opening choices are a matter of his
"set of special skills" to quote Liam, his tactical sight is a bit odd or unorthodox (I think that Mike is the same way) and the openings he plays suits this rather odd tactical sight. I have had him on the ropes several times and obviously had the better opening, but then out of the blue a knight from a6 is suddenly appearing on f5 in a few moves! Whaaa?

I'd say a good way to study openings is to not study openings... okay, you probably knew I'd say something stupid like that. What I mean is, study tactics books and look for the ones you get correct rather quickly and then do some retro analysis to see what type of openings were possibly played. Then it would make sense to dig into these openings as they have narrowed down for you the types of positions you already have a intuitive feeling for.

Basman is strong enough that he could play 'normal' openings and do just fine, but he knows that the lines he plays will give the opponents fits. Much like my friend who plays obscure lines. I have a massive + score against him, but his is 1700-1800 and has beaten me on a few occasions.

Again, as an example that openings at our level are not that important I showed up to a tournament with no preparation at all and played 1.d4 with White and played odd defenses with Black that I never or rarely had played. Just from the novelty of the new opening it had a profound effect on me to double check every move and this, believe it or not, kept me out of time trouble as it built up a good understanding of the middle game in advance. I ended up taking 3rd and since this was after a lay-off of about a year it felt like a good result to me.

This is why I like watching the Basman games and your vids on the Fishing Pole and others. It's fun and different. You won't get this one chess.com or anywhere else I know of!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:49 am
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
I actually think Basman is pretty easy to understand. He is a classical player player and a psychologist. What Basman wants, is for his opponents to play weird chess! Basman is the snake in the garden of Eden, tempting opponents into sinning themselves against basic principles.

If you start your game by tempting your opponents ( play with/insult their ego ), and then change style and try playing like Capablanca, you have nailed it.

My friend Tim took lessons with Basman and it was all psychology and sound tactics with steady play.

Another good vid from Kamus!

Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:18 am
   [ 10 posts ]