View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:52 am

[ 3 posts ] 
GambitPlayer - Educative lesson in Pawn Endgames [8:53] 
Video Manager

GambitPlayer - Educative lesson in Pawn Endgames [8:53]
Poster: GambitPlayer
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000) | Videos Made: 37
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.50 (2)

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: kamus, eimaj

Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:59 pm
King

Rating: 2249
Rating Class: National Master
 Re: GambitPlayer - Educative lesson in Pawn Endgames [8:53]
Nice example.

I prefer the explanation via the three rank system combined with key squares as given in Hajenius & van Riemsdijk. For me it's more intuitive and generalized.
It goes like this:
1) Start by determining the key squares in the position.
2) Calculate the run of black's king to white's pawns.
3) If 2) does not work apply the three rank system technique which says:
7th rank is the axis (in this example), when black's king moves away from the axis, we move forward on the opposite side of the axis
when black's king returns to the axis we return to the axis on a square of same color (=opposition)

That technique saves a lot of calculation time and is extremely simple once you have determined the key squares.
Maybe I should do a video on that, as it is important for the CVTV chess course that I started to compile.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:05 am
Knight

Rating: 1800
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 Re: GambitPlayer - Educative lesson in Pawn Endgames [8:53]
[quote=Zeitnotakrobat] Nice example.

I prefer the explanation via the three rank system combined with key squares as given in Hajenius & van Riemsdijk. For me it's more intuitive and generalized.
It goes like this:
1) Start by determining the key squares in the position.
2) Calculate the run of black's king to white's pawns.
3) If 2) does not work apply the three rank system technique which says:
7th rank is the axis (in this example), when black's king moves away from the axis, we move forward on the opposite side of the axis
when black's king returns to the axis we return to the axis on a square of same color (=opposition)

That technique saves a lot of calculation time and is extremely simple once you have determined the key squares.
Maybe I should do a video on that, as it is important for the CVTV chess course that I started to compile.[/quote]

HI, Thankyou.

Yes you might be right that your example is easier for people to learn ;) You should do a video about it.
But if you know the concept of opposition then this video should be good enough as well. I took this example from GM Karsten Mueller, who is an expert in endgames. So you are right, first determine the key squares, and then look how to make progress, also calculate the counter attack as shown in this video, and then take the right form of opposition and invade through the 7th or 8th rank.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:27 pm
   [ 3 posts ]