View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:06 pm

[ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Zibbit chess journal 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
 Zibbit chess journal
Hey...decided to write up one of these. Seems interesting and could also be fun to look at after X amount of time.

Long term goal (2-3 years): Improve enough to finish my last norm and get my rating up to attain the IM title.

Short term: Improve my opening repertoire.

I feel like doing the videos is helping me a lot, forcing me to study my games and also doing the live commentary on the blitz game (also started to do 15 min games) makes my time on ICC more worthwhile because I always have to look at the opening afterwards and as a result they will sink in better.

So this year I played in the Reykjavik City Championships and did pretty well. I have analysed 7 out of 9 games so far an you can find them under the Master Hangout.
1st round white vs S.Haraldsson 2046 WON viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1642
2nd round black vs Sv.Bjornsson 2116 DRAW viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1695
3rd round white vs A.Krstjansson 2019 WON viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1851
4th round black vs FM D.Kjartansson 2288 DRAW viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1897
5th round white vs O.Salama 2232 WON viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1969
6th round black vs FM S.Sigfusson 2313 DRAW viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2266
7th round white vs FM G.Kjartansson 2307 viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2322

22nd-24th of February I played in the Bunratty Masters in Ireland and exceeded my expectations for that tournament and I will analyse all 6 rounds from that tournament very soon.
1st round black vs B.Galligan 2045 DRAW viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2499
2nd round white vs S.Osbourne 2041 WON viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2599
3rd round black vs S.Short WON viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2741

29th of Feb-1st of March was the 2nd part of the Icelandic league for 2007-08 season. I played all 3 games for my team and we came 2nd, very close to the title.
black vs Arnarson (2125) viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2348 (Good Benoni game)
black vs Hallgrimsson (0) viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2513
white vs IM J.Gunnarsson 2427

Reykjavik Open was 3rd of March. Analysed so far:
1. Black vs GM Stelios Halkias (2580) viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2384
2. White vs C.Gueneau(2126) viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2435
3. Black vs GM Normunds Miezis (2556) viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2445
4. White vs J.Ingvason(2125) viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2458
5. Black vs IM E.Hermansson (2472) viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2474
6. White vs WIM Simona Limotaite (2152)

A friendly 9 board match with Luxemburg where I played board 8
W vs Vlad Serban viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2865

Kaupthing Open in Luxemburg, beginning of May
1. Black vs Marie Boyarchenko viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2894

Reykjavik Chess Club Invitational 15-24th of June
1. Black vs G.Kjartansson viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3099
2. White vs Esben Lund(IM) viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3122

Been to lazy to update this for a while.

Last edited by Zibbit on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:33 am
Endgame Virtuoso

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 Re: Zibbit chess journal
Good luck in the tournaments! Can't wait to see your next videos

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:07 am
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Rating: 2183 CFC
Rating Class: National Master
Welcome to the chess journals!

I will definitely have to check out those videos quickly (gives me another reason to get my internet problem sorted out).

Crash

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:48 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Nice to see a training journal from you Zibbit! I've enjoyed many of your videos already and look forward to seeing what you'll have to put in here.

"... the French wages outright warfare over the entire board, calls for stronger nerves, and demands a soul that finds joy whenever the lust for battle is stoked. In other words, Watson is right: it’s a damn good opening!" - Jeremy Silman

Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:44 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Played 3 games in the Icelandic league over the weekend and scored 2,5/3 gaining 5 rating points. Already posted one of the games and the others hopefully tomorrow. Opening wise I got to play one symmetrical English with white and one nice Modern Benoni game. I was happy with both because I have c4 in my repertoire and needed better understanding of some systems there and also I want the Benoni as a fighting weapon vs lower rated players. Faced the Taimanov attack which is important to know and now I am better equipped for next time!

I almost feel how I am improving just by analyzing my games more...feels great!

Tomorrow I start the Reykjavik Open, a 9 round swiss. As it is I probably will face the young Fabiano Caruana in the first round which will be very difficult if that's my matchup. Facing a 15-16 year old 2600 who's upside is potentally exponiental isn't exactly an easy task!

Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:40 pm
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Zibbit wrote:
Tomorrow I start the Reykjavik Open, a 9 round swiss. As it is I probably will face the young Fabiano Caruana in the first round which will be very difficult if that's my matchup. Facing a 15-16 year old 2600 who's upside is potentally exponiental isn't exactly an easy task!

Good luck!

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:01 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ended up playing Greek GM Stelios Halkias in the first round. Somebody withdrew from the tournament and therefore I moved down to play the #6 seed instead of Caruana and frankly I was happy with that. Got the black pieces and about 3 hours to prepare. Decided to play the Semi-Slav for the 2nd time in my life. I want to use that opening as black against strong players. What I have been playing is either too random or not solid enough vs stronger players. Did ok and seemed to be on the verge of getting a good draw after defending a difficult endgame and avoiding some tricks. He was short on time and when he exchanged down to a rook ending 3 vs 2 which then became 2 vs 1 I totall shut down my brain and chalked up the draw....big mistake and I ended up losing and getting a brutal lesson. The game had many instructive things I believe especially in the ending and I will have to annotate this one thoroughly and look at the ending and LEARN it better to punish myself. I actually thought I was good at rook endings!!

Tomorrow I play a French guy. C.Gueneau 2126 ... I just looked him up and it will probably either be Queens Gambit Declined or the Catalan depending on what I feel like playing. He plays the Petroff vs 1.e4 so I'll probably go for d4/Nf3/c4 getting the above openings.

p.s. I have just posted the game vs Halkias and I think it's very instructive especially the endgame part. At least I learned a lot from analyzing this and I can't help but improve as I continue to work on chess and gather patterns and knowledge.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2384

Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:47 pm
Founder
Founder

Zibbit wrote:
Ended up playing Greek GM Stelios Halkias in the first round. Somebody withdrew from the tournament and therefore I moved down to play the #6 seed instead of Caruana and frankly I was happy with that. Got the black pieces and about 3 hours to prepare. Decided to play the Semi-Slav for the 2nd time in my life. I want to use that opening as black against strong players. What I have been playing is either too random or not solid enough vs stronger players. Did ok and seemed to be on the verge of getting a good draw after defending a difficult endgame and avoiding some tricks. He was short on time and when he exchanged down to a rook ending 3 vs 2 which then became 2 vs 1 I totall shut down my brain and chalked up the draw....big mistake and I ended up losing and getting a brutal lesson. The game had many instructive things I believe especially in the ending and I will have to annotate this one thoroughly and look at the ending and LEARN it better to punish myself. I actually thought I was good at rook endings!!

Tomorrow I play a French guy. C.Gueneau 2126 ... I just looked him up and it will probably either be Queens Gambit Declined or the Catalan depending on what I feel like playing. He plays the Petroff vs 1.e4 so I'll probably go for d4/Nf3/c4 getting the above openings.

p.s. I have just posted the game vs Halkias and I think it's very instructive especially the endgame part. At least I learned a lot from analyzing this and I can't help but improve as I continue to work on chess and gather patterns and knowledge.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2384

Sorry about the result, but at least you're gaining experience :)

I'll be watching the video soon! Good luck tomorrow.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:39 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ok 2nd round was today. Had to win for two reasons, a) I lost yesterday and b) it was my birthday :-)

Played a pretty decent game but somehow my opponent made it easy for me by refusing to do anything at all active. Some nice moves to finish him off in the end.

Tomorrow it's GM Nordmunds Miezis with the black pieces. Somehow it's always like this for me in the Reykjavik Open, I get black vs the good players and white vs the "bad". Would prefer it the other way around. Well I've played Miezis once before and he is very good. However his openings aren't that great and it's easy to get a equal position and prepare against his pet c4 systems but he is very experienced in them and he is somehow a good fighter and great endgame player. But I am confident it's my time now to at least make a draw and make this a good tournament with chances for a norm.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:20 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr another standard 50 move loss to a GM with the black pieces. So this time it was GM Normunds Miezis 2553 from Latvia. We played one of his strange lines but he avoided my preparation by changing his move orders for the first time in like 50 games, very annoying. Should have had a drawn ending but he had two bishops vs my two knights and although he had weaker pawns somehow in the timetrouble I messed up and all of a sudden was losing a pawn by force out of nowhere and from then I couldn't even put up any fight whatsoever.

Tomorrow white against a "weaker" player Johann Ingvason 2105. I've played him once before in classical time controls and beat him with the black pieces. I am fully aware though that he is an aggressive and dangerous player but if I play positionally and avoid any tricks/attacks I should beat him.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:12 pm
Founder
Founder

Zibbit wrote:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr another standard 50 move loss to a GM with the black pieces. So this time it was GM Normunds Miezis 2553 from Latvia. We played one of his strange lines but he avoided my preparation by changing his move orders for the first time in like 50 games, very annoying. Should have had a drawn ending but he had two bishops vs my two knights and although he had weaker pawns somehow in the timetrouble I messed up and all of a sudden was losing a pawn by force out of nowhere and from then I couldn't even put up any fight whatsoever.

Tomorrow white against a "weaker" player Johann Ingvason 2105. I've played him once before in classical time controls and beat him with the black pieces. I am fully aware though that he is an aggressive and dangerous player but if I play positionally and avoid any tricks/attacks I should beat him.

Good luck today! Those GMs can be tricky, especially when you have black :)

I've experienced a similar effect to what you're describing (regarding white/black vs diff. strength players) in weaker American open tournaments. I'm about 2000 USCF, and I'd play a 2300-2400 titled player with black one round, and then if I'd lose I'd get white against an 1800 player. The next round, the process would repeat. It makes it a lot tougher to get upsets.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:16 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

JoshSpecht wrote:

Good luck today! Those GMs can be tricky, especially when you have black :)

I've experienced a similar effect to what you're describing (regarding white/black vs diff. strength players) in weaker American open tournaments. I'm about 2000 USCF, and I'd play a 2300-2400 titled player with black one round, and then if I'd lose I'd get white against an 1800 player. The next round, the process would repeat. It makes it a lot tougher to get upsets.

Yes, can be very annoying. I won today against the 2105 Icelandic guy. Both my wins with white have been rather clean and easy but it's very difficult to get something with black against these 2500 guys. Tomorrow I play Emil Hermansson from Sweden. His rating is 2480 and he is very strong. His openings are very well prepared and I believe he has worked a little bit with Ivanchuk so he is no slouch. He seems to be a 1.e4 player primarily and I've not yet decided what I should play against him but I'll have to decide tomorrow.

Sometimes it's all about the luck of the draw. If I had drawn white in the first game, then maybe after 2-3 shots with white I get something and now it's a completely different ballgame instead of going up-down-up-down. But lets see....Would be nice to at least get a draw tomorrow and then get paired with a strong player with the white pieces.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:45 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Tough going in this tournament for me. Lost to the Swedish guy yesterday and today I had to settle for a draw with the white pieces against a 2152 rated Lithuanian lady. Probably the tournament is still acceptable for me from a rating standpoint had I won today but right now I am something like -8 I think. Well one shouldn't make excuses but been really tired and sleep deprieved the last couple of days had fever and felt really ill after yesterdays game and couldn't really prepare for either of those two games. I feel a bit better tonight but if I don't improve maybe I should forfeit tomorrows game. Don't know...hope I will be well enough to fight. I am playing a 2170 guy but the fact is that he is annoyingly solid with white and he plays lines that are really difficult to crack and for him usually a draw is a victory so it's difficult to beat guys with that mindset and his openings. Either way I have to try to win tomorrow if I am healthy enough to play because winning tomorrow would mean a stronger opponent in the 8th round and then FINALLY with the white pieces!!

But overall I don't worry much, I might lose some points but I am already +5 in both of my last tournaments and I am still in improving stages, I am tidying up my openings and finally trying to settle on what I play and tryinig to analyze those lines properly. So in a way I looked at this as a semi-practise tournament.

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:09 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

God damnit!! Ok felt better today and fit enough to fight...unfortunately after finally getting some sleep I overslept :-( and showed up 30+ minutes late for the game which meant I started 0:58 vs 1:30 by white. Plus I had no idea what to do...I decided to try and play the Benoni but he surprised me after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.Bg5 (I was expecting 3.c4 as he always plays the Queens Indian but then I go 3...c5 and we transpose to the Benoni.) Anyway after 3...h6 4.Bxf6 I think black simply has good game as I have the bishop pair and I just dont believe in this idea for white. So I won a good game and like I said yesterday, important to win today to get a good pairing with the white pieces!! Indeed I got paired up with a strong player, GM Elshan Moradiabadi from Iran but with the BLACK pieces yet again. I am almost angry because of this. Anyway just have to make the best of it and try to get a result with the black pieces!

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:59 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Horrible loss today went down in flames in 22 moves, didn't like my position from like move 7 and was and hour behind on he clock around move 13-15. Absolutely horrible and just felt plain disgusted after todays game. But also it should encourage me to work harder like I have been doing lately. I need to completely redo my openings and decide properly what to play and stick with it and master it...especially with black white is always less of a problem.

Tomorrow it's white vs Christin Andersson from Sweden. She is rated just under 2200 and I am white. Not sure if I'll feel like playing but winning this game would salvage this tournament as a -5 which is reasonable for a less than good tournament and would still mean a + for me on the next rating list.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:34 pm
   [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next