View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:08 pm

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
TheEnterprise training journal 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: No rating
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
 TheEnterprise training journal
Hello, and welcome! I hope this will help me spend my time studying and playing chess more efficiently. I play the Queen's Gambit with white and the French defense with black. Before I learn new openings, I would first like to strengthen the weaker aspects of my game. I plan on doing this as follows (no particular order):

1. 30 minutes of chess tactics every day
2. Analyzing every game I play
3. Studying end games
4. Working on developing plans and strategies and playing a solid mid-game in general, which I hope to accomplish by reading The Amateur's Mind by IM Jeremy Silman
5. Playing slower games (min. 20 20, also correspondence chess at chess.com, username: Sourire)
6. Continuing to watch videos here on chessvideos.tv :wink:

If anyone has other recommendations, please feel free to let me know.

Image courtesy of Bradu of the UG!

Last edited by TheEnterprise on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:11 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: TheEnterprise training journal
My first correspondence game (Sourire on chess.com).

I play white against Pryvetteye52, rated 1120.

This game was set up randomly when I clicked "PLAY NOW", and I was paired with a much lower rated player. I was going to anaylze the entire game but I don't feel it is necessarily worth it. Important notes I took from this game:

4. Nc3. I don't think this was a great move on my part. I was unsure of how to strike his weaknesses so I developed normally. Preferrable is c4xd5. Possible continuations would have resulted with me having the bishop pair or me having an uncontested center and better development after c4xd5: Be6xd5, 5. Nb1-c3 Bd5-f7 6. e2-e4; 1.38

5. e2-e3. Again, I did not make a good move. In the game I was tempted to move Qd1-b3 which is what Fritz suggests.

Last edited by TheEnterprise on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:17 pm
King

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
That game was humiliating for receiving end...=)

Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:25 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Maple Stevens: Thank you very much for the reply.

I have an annoying problem with Fritz 9. After 3 emails and phone calls on Monday and Friday I have not had my problem resolved. It's a shame the customer service is so poor, because chessbase software in general is very good. I will probably just bit torrent Fritz 9 and take the files I am missing and then immediately delete that copy. 8)

Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:00 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

I played a game on FICS less than an hour ago. I watched Josh's video on mating with Knight + Bishop last night. I spent time then as well as earlier today on Fritz 9 practicing. It was a difficult topic to cover in a video because of all the different squares the king could move, but I thought he did a very good job (I would recommend it, because it helped me a lot in learning how to prevent a piece from moving to a certain square, as well as when it is necessary to "lose" a tempo).

I have been spending time studying tactics and I've been enjoying nearly every minute. I feel sharper in general, and I am beginning to realize which tactics give me the most problems. I've been going to the same sites as Zibbit. Whenever I see his tactics and pattern recognition videos now, I must say I have a new appreciation for his skill.

I've been doing ok on my list in the first post except for reading Silman's book. I don't know why but I hit a mental brick wall when I open it. I know I am ready to begin, but I have an uneasy feeling like I'm not good enough to be studying it. :? I should probably just man up and try to read only a couple of pages at a time.

Anyway, here is the game I just played. I was white against yacc, an engine, rated 1639. Analysis at the bottom.

I feel that I played the opening "solid." Definitely not aggressive, but that is ok with me at the moment because I don't know the nuances of the Queen's Gambit.

11. An interesting position I thought. Fritz primary recommendation is Bc1-a3, and after Rf8-e8, pushing the pawn to c4. The secondary recommendation is Rb1. This move attacks the pawn on b7 and allows my c4 push while covering the b4 square, preventing his knight from attacking my Queen.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I would have done in the event of c4, Nb4. Qb2 seems to solve my problems though but I'm not 100% sure I would have found it.

13... Nc6-b4. I was able to see this in the game and I thought it was black's best move. It wasn't according to Fritz, which rates it ~.48 worse than Qf5. I would end up with 1 rook, 2 bishops, and a knight vs. 2 rooks and a bishop.

17... h7-h5. Horrible blunder, which led to a mate in 1. According to Fritz I am up 5.09 at this point anyway.

I guess the point I will try to learn from this game is that if I have a good move like c4, I should not rush to play it when I have a good move with tempo to play before it (Ba3 attacking the rook, or Rb1 attacking the pawn). Both those moves helped me develop and covered the b4 square.

My "plan" for these types of positions is to exchange my backward pawn as quickly as possible for my opponent's isolated pawn. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Because of this game I have achieved my highest standard rating of 1801 on FICS. :D

Hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday I will be able to write a post on Silman's book. Until then, I will continue to study chess tactics. Hopefully I will learn another important end game exercise, and of course I'll check out the Master hangout to watch a Zibbit video or two.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:50 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

I'm going to be quick, but thought I would add a quick copy paste from the Live Commentaries forum because Hiddie wrote such a helpful comment:

Hiddie wrote:
Yes, it is the Fort Knox variation.

To back it up:
This is a game played in the Reykjavik Open 2008 in this variation: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1487311
This is a game with Tiviakov with the white pieces in this variation: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1481278
(You can see the opening variation named above the game)
Here is the general search position at http://www.chessgames.com with an overview of all their games in this variation: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl ... ode=541666

There ya go

Thanks again. No real news- I watched a great Zibbit video today, and now I plan on doing 20-30 minutes of tactics and then reading some of Silman's book. Oh, my FICS rating is now 1820 8) It may be too high but I feel like I am around that level when I play my best. I plan on analyzing my 2 most recent games soon. The first I played a solid victory, and the second I played very poorly as black against the English opening, but managed to secure a win anyway.

Edit- Solved a problem last night on chesstempo. Took me a good 15 minutes but I was proud that I could solve it. Just got home from dinner with my brother, ended up drinking a bottle of red wine and then a beer 8) Not very useful at the moment so I'll reply tomorrow or the next day. Thanks for reading.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:47 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Update - standard FICS rating is now 1844. I played a game this morning and managed to lose the exchange by trading my queen for a rook. Until then, I had a nice advantage, and after some piece trades I won with 2 rooks against a queen.

A game I played last night. I play white (1829) against Peterlaszlo (1870). The past several games I have played computers so I was interested to see how I would do against a human opponent.

No other news. I'm going to study some opening theory in the morning with a friend on FICS. My FICS rating has jumped up to something like 1910 which is great. I gained 40 points on chesstempo today. I was on fire :D So I haven't held good on my promise to analyse every game I play, but at least I am studying more, and I feel like I have gotten about 10x better at tactics since I started this journal and more importantly since I started watching Zibbit's training exercises.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:51 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hello!

So far The Amateur's Mind has been very instructive. I am only on page 40, but I have been keeping up well by writing in a journal.

I think my FICS rating was too high to be honest. I am currently a little over 1800 and I am much more comfortabe in this position of feeling "undervalued" in rating points.

My Chesstempo standard rating improved to 1951 (Sourire), a new high I reached minutes ago. In general, these problems are good to improve one's memory, but I think an equal amount of my rating improvement has been to disciplining my thought process (going for 1 possible move, seeing it through and only then looking at another candidate, a la Zibbit).

I am enlisted on the FICS league but after having to cancel my first match and possibly my next one, I think I will just resign so that maybe someone else who has the time can take my place. Hopefully I don't anger my team too much or TwoTowers who was kind enough to let me play in the first place.

Last, I am looking forward to this Chess Correspondence Team Match here on chessvideos.tv. For the next several weeks I don't expect to be playing very often if at all on FICS, and this CC Team Match is about as much as I'll be around chessvideos.tv.

Anyone else feeling this global economic cluster@#%? :shock:

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:57 pm
Rook

Rating: 1967
Good to see you are constructing such a good profile in your journal. I read Silman's How to Reassess Your Chess ages ago. I am making plans to read The amateurs mind as well. I am told that if I do two major things each one is worth 200 rating points. I don't believe him, but I am willing to try.

For reference, one of those things is to start ordering my though process. Similar to what you are doing now. I read Silman, I just don't put it to use and I need to start.

Question I have for you is, the last time I saw you on FICS I thought you were like 1700+ or something like that maybe even 1600, did you recently like within the last year or so hit 1800-1900+?

Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:18 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

JumpNMustang wrote:
Good to see you are constructing such a good profile in your journal. I read Silman's How to Reassess Your Chess ages ago. I am making plans to read The amateurs mind as well. I am told that if I do two major things each one is worth 200 rating points. I don't believe him, but I am willing to try.

For reference, one of those things is to start ordering my though process. Similar to what you are doing now. I read Silman, I just don't put it to use and I need to start.

Question I have for you is, the last time I saw you on FICS I thought you were like 1700+ or something like that maybe even 1600, did you recently like within the last year or so hit 1800-1900+?

Hey JumpNMustang-

My friend, login Colindru on FICS, had a rating jump of 300 points from reading the 2 books. So to me it seems high but believable.

As for disciplining a thought process - at the end of August on Chess Tempo I was struggling to hit 1800 and now I am 1960 and I see no reason I shouldn't be 2000 soon. It's amazing how much mental energy can trap itself in idle processes.

As to your question- yes I remember I was 1660 not too long ago. I peaked at 1919 and fell back down nearly 100 points exactly. I have been trying harder to keep tension on the board and I am choosing to play solid moves where I previously tried to "make something happen."

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be playing more than a game a week on FICS if that for the near future.

Silman's Amateur Mind recommends the reader take a journal and write in it regularly the moves that should be played and an explanation of why. I think it is a practical use of time and very helpful.

Thanks for the nice words at the end and for taking the time to read. :D

Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:12 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Haven't updated in 12 days so here's a quick one.

I'm enjoying the cc game. Not a familiar opening for me so I haven't done much besides voting, but I think that's ok. I like all of my teammates and I'm learning.

No news to report on FICS. I haven't signed on in around 2 weeks. Almost done with chapter 2 in The Amateur's Mind, I think I'll telephone Guinness as I'm probably the slowest reader in the world.

The remaining time I've spent on chess has been to get away from worrying about the economy. I'm spending this time on Chess Tempo- I feel a certain control when solving problems which is very rewarding at the moment. I'm now 2027.6 standard so I'm happy with my progress.

I plan on watching some of the videos in the master forum soon also. Thx for stopping in, see ya soon.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:50 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yo, decided to just edit my last post instead of creating a new one.

Update- there's ~190 problems on chesstempo in my "Missed every time" problem set, so besides watching videos here and following the Reykjavik Open I think will my spend my chess time working on what I couldn't solve last year.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:13 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

UPDATE!!!

To anyone who hasn't tried it, I recommend the Endgame trainer on Chesstempo. I think it is very worthwhile. Between that and solving the problems I missed, I have little time for other chess activities, so watching videos here has taken a priority over playing.

Not much else to say. Looking forward to StrikeForce tonight. Don't have a strong preference on the winner, but I prefer Frank.

Last bit of info- Have you ever thought you were making progress with a girl and then she suddenly gets back together with her ex-boyfriend..? :cry:

Life goes on and I wish her the best, but how lame..

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:03 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

15 0 I'm playing the black pieces.

Game deviates with 2... g6. d5 and c5 are the in my opening book.

9... exf4 much stronger taking apart the center. I failed to see 10. Nxf4 Qb6 (Game in master forum followed exf4 but I haven't found it)

17... Ne5. My idea with h4 was Nf6 to Nh5

22... f5. Creates a weakness after 23. Qc2. Wanted to prevent Ng4 but it was unnecessary.

26... dxe5 and the rook is trapped.

29... Rxf1+ 30. Qxf1 Qd5+ picks up the knight

15 0 is a little too fast for me to see tactics.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:48 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

I'm happy with this game and I think I'll make my first video on it because I made a few very critical errors but still won the game.

Sat May 02, 2009 12:29 pm
   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next