View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:48 pm

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
TheEnterprise training journal 
King

Rating: 1559 USCF
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
 Re: TheEnterprise training journal
Entertaining game! It's always nice to have the bishop pair in positions. When given the chance to trade the unopposed Bishop for a Rook, I often allow myself to internally suffer before making the choice. However, an exchange is an exchange, and I usually never regret the decision.

I really didn't like 15...f5 and found it funny that Black exchanged and undeveloped more pieces than he developed.

FICS Handle: Wisdomatic

Sat May 02, 2009 4:06 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: No rating
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Lol, you're completely right about undeveloping pieces. I did not really notice. I guess I didn't create as much initiative as he willfully gave up on every move. I guess I was most happy about doing well in the opening and despite playing my knight poorly, the game went the way I wanted it to... I had queenside space and I saw the opportunity for a kingside attack and I went with it.

Thanks for the comment, Theriot. I'll wait to analyze another game then :lol:

Image courtesy of Bradu of the UG!

Sun May 03, 2009 2:24 pm
King

I don't know. I think it would be a great game to analyze. Black makes quite a few mistakes that would be very instructive to players of our level.

Sun May 03, 2009 2:58 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hm... I appreciate the reply Theriot and you're right that the game is instructive for my opponent's backwards development. I thought the game was particularly interesting because although I did a good job keeping the light squared bishop blocked, it was a mistake for me to offer a knight for knight exchange...

Anyway, I think I will do this video tomorrow. I look forward to keeping tabs on your journal and how you progress toward your chess club goal, Theriot. I believe you can do it, but make sure to enjoy your time studying and not burn yourself out :D

All the best, TE

Mon May 04, 2009 7:13 pm
King

Thanks for your advice, and it's definitely something I've tended to do in the past. I am sure your video will be instructive, and I will check it out.

Mon May 04, 2009 7:38 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

I just uploaded it so hopefully it will be up here soon. I was kind of nervous making it, but I think it turned out okay. I ended up doing a different game, but I'll analyze that game as well. I wanted to thank you in the video (which I did the first 3 or 4 I made) but I forgot to in the final copy, Theriot.

Tue May 05, 2009 11:14 pm
King

Don't worry about thanking me, just keep playing instructive games!

Wed May 06, 2009 1:13 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

White vs 1838; 25 0 U

5. Bg5 most common move in my Fritz 9 opening book. With pawns on e3 & d4 I presume this moves the bad bishop outside the pawn chain. In the event of ...h6 I will respond Bh4.

7. Bd3 fourth most common move in my Fritz 9 opening book. In the event of dxc4 the Black's e6 pawn makes White's light squared bishop is in a dubious location after the Bxc4 recapture. In the future I will play Rc1.

The most common following opening moves are: 7. Rc1 c6 8. Bd3 dxc4 9. Bxc4 Nd5 10. Bxe7 Qxe7 Here is a diagram of this position:

In this position, it seems White has a space advantage on the Queenside as well control over the half-open c-file. White's light squared bishop is better than Black's, but Black's king is already castled. I think Black can easily contest both c5 and e5.

8... Nd5 first move out of my opening book.

10. 0-0 White has more room in the center and Black's position seems cramped.

10... c5 Black seems to have two ideas in this position b6 fianchettos the bishop while c5 contests the center.

11. Qc2 & 12. exd4: Positional mistakes... I traded my dynamic advantage in development for an isolated pawn. Better is just 11. dxc4 Nxc5 12. Qc2, or after 11. Qc2 cxd4 recapturing with 12. Nxd4.

13. Rac1? Another positional mistake. The c-file is open, but I have two minor pieces blocking my Queen and rook. Better is 13. Ne4 offering to trade Black's best piece regaining the lead in development.

15. Qe2 A positional mistake. I believe I want to play on the Queenside, so better is Qb3 protecting the light squared bishop while staying on the Queenside and loading up on d5.

15... Bc6 My inaccurate play gave Black time to develop his worst piece on the good a1-h1 diagonal. I was so disgusted I missed the interesting idea 16. Nxf7 trading Black's rook, f & e pawns for White's light squared bishop and knight.

More analysis soon, it's very late and I'm relying heavily on the computer so I will sleep and restart some other time. If you have any comments or criticisms or improvements on my post-analysis so far, your response is very welcome and appreciated.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:35 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

I have two chess idols- Zibbit and Sandorchess. I've never had the opportunity to play Zibbit, but today I was lucky enough to play Sandorchess for the first time!

He crushed me out of the opening, however, I managed to fight on for some time. I hope you enjoy this game as much as I do!

Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:13 pm
Endgame Virtuoso

Hi there

I just had one little comment regarding the QGD game above. You seemed to just trade all the minors which is in principle the wrong approach if you are the one with the isolated pawn. Look up the position after black's 16 move. All his pieces want to sit on the d5 square, however only one can at a time so you should have gone Bd3 I think even though to my mind black already has the better game. It just seemed you traded all your minors and were sadled with a weakness with no dynamic compensation. Well, that's my two cents :wink:

Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:59 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hi Armis,

Thank you for the comment. I think that's a very accurate statement and I'll keep that in mind in the future. Criticism like this is very appreciated.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Event: FICS rated blitz game

I played white and I was very happy to see 19. d5! in a 5 0 game (if I may exclaim such a move at my level of play)

Bc4 instead of Be2, also Rb1 early offering the center pawn for Black's 7th rank, etc.

No other news, I am excited to see Carlsen play so well though.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:35 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

I will be posting video (hopefully) in the next week or two on a game by Steinitz.

My new years goal in chess is to study improve my positional play. I understood the lessons in The Amateur's Mind by Jeremy Silman and I enjoyed his writing style, but I have so far been unable to translate much into my chess games. It's so hard to look back over games I've lost and I've created a bad habit out of not doing just that.

Hopefully studying masters games will help. Happy New Year everyone.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:13 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

C20 King's Pawn (OTB unrated game yesterday)

4... Bc5 would have been better. After 5...Nxe4 6. Qe2

8... exd4 first otherwise 9. dxe5

10... Ng3?. Stronger is 10...Nd6! 11. Ne5 Nxc6 and ...f6

12... Nd7 is okay. 12... Bf5 developing to control the b1-h7 diagonal is better

15... Qa5+ The most obvious move and my original plan. dxc4 Bxc4 hands White an attack on a silver platter :?

17... Qxc5?? Losing immediately. Qc7 and Black is still winning.

Conclusion: I did an okay job taking advantage of White's very poor opening play, bad development (too early with Queen, too late with minor pieces). When the time came to take advantage of tactical opportunities, however, I completely collapsed.

Last edited by TheEnterprise on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:57 am
Wants a custom title

Rating: 1694
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
I learned a lot of positional concepts from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Middle-Game-P ... 0486261549 and also my system, which is like a book you can read forever and never fully master. I've found Silman's books to be easy to read, and he explains concepts well, but they are too simplistic I think, and he tends to hold positions in a vacuum without examining the game, and how they arose. I really dont like books that just look at positions, I prefer complete games, so you can tie opening ideas/blunders to middlegame positions/plans, and how this will impact the endgames, and see it played out. Prob my favorite books are just annotated master game compilations.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:16 am
   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next